Shakespeare spinning reels from the '70s.....

Started by Flounder Boy 3, May 09, 2016, 11:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

QuoteWhere were my Shakespeare 2062 and 2052 made?
Kalamazoo, MI unless it was the last version with the one piece fold down handle. Many of the later, '69/'70 & after, after the Shakespeare/Pflueger merger, were made in Fayetteville, AR. The Pflueger Supremes, 550, 551 & 600 are the exact same reel as the Shakespeare 2052, 2062 & 2080 two piece handle Kalamazoo 1st versions, just matte gray instead of maroon. 

QuoteIt may also be due to the fact that a worm gear drive isn't as efficient as the other gear setups...
I'm a little confused by that statement. Lack of effort during use is not necessarily the sole indicator of efficiency? Longevity, material quality, sustainability and wear/maintenance are also important attributes when considering efficiency.

QuoteI have a Heddon I've never posted pics of here. I might as well bust it out here...as I don't see a Heddon category.

Heddon was one of the early major US tackle manufacturers to outsource their reel manufacturing to Japan. That happened in the mid '60s after Daisy Mfg bought Heddon in 1959. Most of those reels were made by Olympic/Roddy.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

The Fishing Hobby

QuoteI'm a little confused by that statement. Lack of effort during use is not necessarily the sole indicator of efficiency? Longevity, material quality, sustainability and wear/maintenance are also important attributes when considering efficiency.
I meant purely from a mechanical advantage standpoint. In every other way, worm drives best the other gear types in spinning reels IMO.

foakes

Like Kevin Sez --

These little reels like the Daiwas can be upgraded pretty easily.

Main difference outside of the gold vs. silver color, is that the golds have (2) main gear bearings instead of nylon bushings.

I just switch out the (2) nylon bushings for ball bearings -- it is just a simple drop in deal -- takes just a few minutes.

These little reels are strong.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

The Fishing Hobby

Those Daiwa's are really nice. The 500C usually fetches a high price on the auction site. I have one but I like the slightly longer spools on the 1000 series Daiwa reels for slightly better casting distance. I have a 500C myself, how does the 70x and the minispin compare in size and line capacity to the 500c?

The Fishing Hobby

Fred, here is another tiny workhorse...the Shimano MLX100
I have 2 of them. I paid less than $10 each shipped to my door ;D
Another Japanese made aluminum bodied reel.

foakes

Using 4 lb. Trilene XT, the Mini-Spin is 110 yards, the 70X is 100, the 500C is 85.

The 1000C's that I have are 200 yards of 4 lb..

I just use these for fishing the Back-Country lakes up here in the Sierras.

But occasionally when fishing Edison, Courtright, Bridgeport, or Twin Lakes from the boat -- I'll always have one rigged and ready with a Panther Martin, Thomas Bouyant, Rooster Tail, or fly and bubble.

Then if I notice some likely area or fish feeding -- just flip it into action.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on April 26, 2017, 10:35:45 PM
Fred, here is another tiny workhorse...the Shimano MLX100
I have 2 of them. I paid less than $10 each shipped to my door ;D
Another Japanese made aluminum bodied reel.

I haven't had a chance to use my little MLX Quickfire 100 yet, Kevin.

Just came in an old wooden crate of fly reels and rods that I bought.  It was so dirty, it looked grey.

Cleaned off the reel and did a complete service -- it appeared that it was only used once or twice -- likely because the fellow was a fly fisherman and not a spinning guy.  Bought it from his son. 

Sure works well, and the balance is superb on a ultralite Shimano S156UL2B -- 5 1/2' rod.

Really like the reverse stem similar to a Mitchell 510.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

The Fishing Hobby

steelhead_killer

Fred:

The first reel I bought with my own money and used for years was a Shakespeare 2200 series 025 that I mounted on my Fenwick 4 piece back packing rod.  I literally caught 100's of trout on that outfit spooled with 6 lb mono.    Somehow over the years, the rod is still with me, but the reel is gone.  Would you by chance have enough parts to build one?  If not, do you have parts for the reel?  I guess I could find one on _bay and take my chances.  If I went that route it would need a good cleaning and new bail spring.  This is a picture of a trout I caught on Klamath Lake in Southern Oregon in 1982 with the outfit listed above. 
Let me know!

Andy
><)))">

foakes

Not near the shop right now, Andy --

But tomorrow, I will see what I might have that you could mount on that pack Fenwick.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Hi Andy --

Found a nearly new 2201 025 size Sigma -- front drag.

Looks like me or someone else robbed the handle and bail many years ago when it was new.

So it has been in a storage bag for a couple of decades -- until I pulled it out this morning.  Am installing a new bail, already installed a new crank.

Also found a pair of 030 Sigma Supra Pros with rear drag. 

All appear new or near new.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

thorhammer

Fred has more parts than the free world. And the unfree world. And any other planet with water.

smnaguwa

Hi Fred: I have a Shimano MLZ40 which was a very smooth reel in it's time. I am confused about the drag. I don't see a conventional drag stack. Is the drag knob the drag? If so, how should I service it? Thanks. I also have a Daiwa 8100 that I splurged on while in college. It is a smooth all metal ultralite reel.

foakes

That old retro Shimano from the 80's is a good reel.

There are only two drag components on it -- the disc under the drag knob, and a base disc under the spool.

These discs are somewhat specific to this long discontinued reel due to their shape.  So likely new discs could be fashioned from a sheet of CF -- then lightly greased with Cal's.

It will take some patience, and careful measuring -- but worth the effort.

Do not know if these discs are still available from Shimano (kind of doubt it, but who knows?), or someone else -- they might be, or just make a set.

Call to Shimano might be a first step before going to any major trouble.  They may have some (buy a couple of sets) -- or have a substitute upgrade or fix.

Show us some pics -- I haven't worked on one of these for years.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

happyhooker

There are some really interesting reels described & depicted.  That Shakespeare 2200 is the older brother of a 2200 II I just finished cleaning up; MIJ, almost all metal; I took some pics & made some notes as I went thru it & maybe will make it up into a tutorial (when I figure out how to do that!).

The MLX Shimanos; got an MLX 300 w/ the Quickfire system that I played with a little a couple months ago; will have to dig my notes out on it & maybe post a pic.  Big brother of the MLX 100.