okuma andros 5 II rebuild

Started by alantani, March 05, 2011, 04:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudman

Quote from: alantani on November 20, 2015, 04:52:33 PM
if 60# hollow is an option for you, go with that.  it's much better to be able to cut and splice that to have to tie double uni's or double bimini's.
I'll see if it's in my budget. Looking to get my reel spooled and pick up a 40# Calstar WC rod for $320

Here's what I was talking about.

Tiddlerbasher

I like the new dogs - much better idea - maybe they could be retrofitted  :)
I f you fit a spool sleeve - doing away with the clips on the shaft - it makes it  simple to install the bellevilles ()() and clip :)

wallacewt

may be able to swap new ratchet for the old.
they should be the same size
wonder what other parts are different

Mudman

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 21, 2015, 10:46:49 AM
I like the new dogs - much better idea - maybe they could be retrofitted  :)
I f you fit a spool sleeve - doing away with the clips on the shaft - it makes it  simple to install the bellevilles ()() and clip :)
Is this a common mod? I wouldn't mind doing it- after tearing mines down following this great tutorial, I had a heck of a time putting that clip back on.

wallacewt

just thinking out loud here
on the older andros if you undid the 2 screws that hold
the ratchet and drag plate together and had the 2 screws come in from the drag plate side
instead of  the ratchet side
it would be very simple to service the dogs.  any thoughts?

Tiddlerbasher

Mudman
All of my lever drag reels have spool sleeves. 2 reasons 1-Easier to re-assemble  2-usually better free spool (you must get the length spot on)
Access to a small lathe helps but its not essential.
With a correct length sleeve there should be no play between sleeve and spool bearings. Also not so long that the bearings 'float' back and forth. A couple of thou too long is ok but nothing too short (cos it won't work)

Mudman

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 21, 2015, 01:02:03 PM
Mudman
All of my lever drag reels have spool sleeves. 2 reasons 1-Easier to re-assemble  2-usually better free spool (you must get the length spot on)
Access to a small lathe helps but its not essential.
With a correct length sleeve there should be no play between sleeve and spool bearings. Also not so long that the bearings 'float' back and forth. A couple of thou too long is ok but nothing too short (cos it won't work)
Can you post a photo? I'm a little confused what your talking about. Sorry I'm still new to all of this.

Tiddlerbasher

This photo from maxpowers should give you an idea - The brass tube (on the shaft) between the 2 spool bearings is the sleeve:

http://alantani.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=12466.0;attach=9489;image

Mudman

Ended up spooling with 50# izor, Charkbait manage to jam 500 yards on the reel. While I was only expecting maybe 400 max. Impressive to say the least.

Mudman

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 22, 2015, 10:39:24 AM
This photo from maxpowers should give you an idea - The brass tube (on the shaft) between the 2 spool bearings is the sleeve:

http://alantani.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=12466.0;attach=9489;image
Awesome thank you!

steelfish

Im in the market for a reel to retire my trini 16 gold, just because I want to try something new

since I already have a fathom 40ld2 I know what those Penn reel can do and the 25nld2 size looks really appealing to take the place of the trini 16, but the andros 5-II have always have something that attracts me (yep Im a tackleho, cant help it) the lack of thrust bearing stop me a little.

so, for 20# YT, 25# cabrillas, spanish macks, WSB and many other inshore fish other than the thrust bearing anything I need to check on both reels to decide ? (normally fish 65# braid and 50# mono leader, mostly for abrasion purposes than strenght)

The Baja Guy

bchen

I'm thinking of using this reel for slow pitch jigging.  

Has anyone tried replacing the bushing in the handle, part 726, with an ARB?

Is that where an ARB would go?

Edited part number.

boon

Where did you find a 761 on that diagram? Part 726 could, in theory, maybe be replaced with an ARB if you could find one of matching dimensions. The bushing may be too thin to allow it, though.

bchen

Typo on that part number fixed.

I'll disassemble the reel and measure the bushing. It's a good point that it might be too thin...  

Edited to add:

The bushing is 12.75mm wide (or tall) with an inner diameter of 12mm and outer diameter of 14mm.  There is space in the handle around the bushing - so an ARB would have to have an OD of 16.75mm.

Unfortunately, it looks like ARB's take up a minimum of 6MM from the ID to the OD.  So I saw lots that were ID = 12MM, OD = 18MM and none that were narrower.  I'll search a little more, but I suspect there is not an ARB with an ID of 12 and OD of 16.