mitchell handle upgrade

Started by fishhawk, May 15, 2016, 05:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhawk

Hey, was wanting to upgrade my mitchell 300 and 306. What I'm wanting to know is what other models mitchell's these will fit. I'm wanting to make my handles longer.
thanx
  Mark

handi2

The 302/402 handles will fit the 306. The 402 speed handle would look nice on the 306.

For drags I punch a Carbontex washer for under the spool that fits in the recess and one up top. It's much better than the stock drag system.

Shown is a 406 and its handle. This handle would look good on the 306 also.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

cbar45

Longer high-speed torpedo handles off a 400 and 410 will fit the 300.

Another option--albeit stock length--is the locking screw handle from a late model 300.

Those are great replacements for the earlier folding-type handles that weren't all that sturdy.

Chad

Mic

I'd be in the market for about 4 of those 400/410 high speed handles if anyone has a few on the shelf needing a new home.

Send me a good word and your price to relocate them to Cedar Creek Tx, 78612

Mic

JRD

This little Mitchell 300 is my first foray into any spinner that was not disposable.  It was a dream to work on.  I'm going to use it for fly lining bait.  My problem was the handle.  I first tried a Shimano Calcutta paddle knob but needed a small tube to make the mounting work.  I just could not find the right ID and OD copper tube locally.  So I'm looking around and remember this small EVA knob I have on my Penn 109 and the spare I have.  The crank was going to get tossed anyway so I went for it with a drill.  Counter sunk the spindle into the knob and viola a two bearing knob on my ancient Mitchell.  Waiting for a few deep spools from Fred and hopefully can test it against some Calico bass Friday.

handi2

I have some smaller EVA and some black and silver knobs that would look great with that reel. Ill p[ost some pictures later.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

fishhawk

mo65

Here's a few more Mitch handle upgrades, a 408, a 310UL, and a 306. These are all simple "screw on" aftermarket knobs, but most times do require some drilling and fitting. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

DON3099

MO65,
Did you do anything cosmetic, to the bail or handle on the 310?

CincyDavid

My poor arthritic hands would appreciate giant handles like that.