New Sport Fishing Boat in San Diego the "Liberty"

Started by otghoyt, August 17, 2016, 12:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otghoyt

You ever planned a trip, spent the money, tuned your equipment, packed days ahead of time and traveled to your destination only to have all kinds of maladies befall your carefully planned trip?  Now, looking back, weren't those some of your most memorable trips.  Well nothing like that happened on my most recent day of fishing. It was a most memorable outing and I now have a new favorite day boat out of Point Loma.  We were 37 anglers landing 150 California Yellowtail!  Yeah Man!

There has been a murmur about a new boat harbored at Fisherman's Landing in Point Loma, San Diego, CA.  It is named the "Liberty" and she measures out at 85 X 23.  The Liberty specializes at ¾ day trips to The Coronado Islands, targeting California Yellowtail, Bluefin, Yellowfin and other pelagic fish as well as Calico Bass, Ling Cod, Rock fish and sand bass.  

The Liberty is a very fishable boat with low rails for better than 3/4 of her length.  There's plenty of elbow room for 58 passengers to free spool and/or fly line fresh bait into the fray.  There is ample room on the bow for pitching iron which pleased me to no end.  One of her greatly appreciated attributes is that she cruises at a fast pace.  I don't know the numbers but I do know is we were one of two day boats dipping bait at the same time. The Liberty was hauling fish aboard nearly a half hour before the other ¾ day boat got to the prime fishing grounds. We also stayed later than the other day boats.

Capitan Terry Clayton put us on the fish immediately. He called out depths and the windward side before we even stopped.  He wasn't cheap on the chum either.  We stopped on several 45 minute bites and he kept the fish in an excited frenzy by calling out for strategic application of chum.

The Liberty has a well-appointed, spacious galley.  Sarah Grose serves up quality food and drink to hungry fisher-folks.  Each and every member of the crew was most accommodating to the anglers and went out of their way to identify and solve every issue that I observed.  At the end of the day every single angler applauded the experience.  Tipping is customary and I happily emptied my wallet into the tip jar. Literally!!  I had to use the ATM to pay for parking!

The deck hands, Anibal Freitas and Chuck Smith were really on the ball.  They executed their responsibilities with haste and supreme efficiency.  It is easy to see they genuinely like and enjoy what they do.  I have witnessed many other deck and galley personnel on other boats get in on the fishing and this crew never wet a line.  In fact there were at least four deck hands from other sport fishing boats on the Liberty to fish on their day off.  Two of the guys came down from one of the Dana Point sport fishing boats to fish the Liberty.  That's a 60+ mile haul to do what they love.  Does that say something to ya?                      

They may be the Newbs in town but that won't be for long.  It's easy to recognize the professionalism.  In the future, there's no doubt what-so-ever, they will be sold out weeks in advance!  Yep, it's that good.  My personal recommendation: Get yourself some before the crowds show up.  

Hoyt

Liberty
Owner:
Fishermans Landing

Captains:
Taro Takeuchi
Terry Clayton                                      

Mailing Address:
Liberty Sportfishing
2838 Garrison Street
San Diego, CA 92106

Web site for Fisherman's Landing  http://fishermanslanding.com/boats/liberty.php
Dock Counts for the Liberty"  http://fishermanslanding.com/fishcounts/liberty.php

Alto Mare

Very noice Hoyt, you called it and it did happen. Good job!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.