Travel surf rods

Started by AlcoholicFisherman, May 22, 2016, 12:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlcoholicFisherman

Anyone have any good suggestions for travel or compact surf rods? Been looking for at least a 12 footer that can sling up to 5oz and bait with no issues.

I have a 7 piece 13'6 Shimano Beastmaster but it's out of commission after two sections cracked with only 7 casts using a 3oz sinker.

The closest candidate I've seen are the St. Croix Triumph Surf rods, but I'm not sure if I can sling out 4 oz weights safely with them.

Tightlines667

Might want to consider the Okuma Nomad surf rod.. 10' though.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Jeri

Quote from: AlcoholicFisherman on May 22, 2016, 12:59:56 AM
Anyone have any good suggestions for travel or compact surf rods? Been looking for at least a 12 footer that can sling up to 5oz and bait with no issues.

I have a 7 piece 13'6 Shimano Beastmaster but it's out of commission after two sections cracked with only 7 casts using a 3oz sinker.

The closest candidate I've seen are the St. Croix Triumph Surf rods, but I'm not sure if I can sling out 4 oz weights safely with them.

Hi,

Where is your 'shopping zone'?? - Location??

If, you have access to European, Australian or Southern African (or many other locations); there are plenty of 3 piece rods that will cast 4oz or more. There are 3 piece models that will casts from 2-3oz right up to near 20oz, all in the 12' or longer range. Also in a variety of price catagories from 'entry level' to 'expert/competition'.

Cheers from sunny Africa.

Jeri

reddrum55

My Daiwa surf rod travels with me quite often. 13'3" breaks down to three equal pieces. (SABS 35-405B) Saltiga Ballistic.

AlcoholicFisherman

Well it looks like I have to look abroad again for surf rods. I was hoping for something that'll compact down a little more. Which was why I chose the Beastmaster because it was small enough.
I found several new rods to look for including one designed to throw 800g as Jeri mentioned!  :o

Dominick

It looks like the Sports authority is going out of business.  I bought a 13' surf rod there a couple of years ago for $40.00 which broke down into 4 pieces for ease of travel.  It worked out really well for me.  I leave it down in Mexico now with a friend of mine and he and another friend get to use it when i'm not there.  I use it a few times a year when i'm there.  For $40.00 it's worth trying out if you can find one.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Dominick on May 22, 2016, 09:33:50 PM
It looks like the Sports authority is going out of business.  ....
Dominick

This is a big deal for us here in HI, since they are basically the only place on the islands to get alot of different sports and outdoor necessities.  Hopefully Dick's will take over all of our locations, and offer the same hunting, fishing,  camping, and team sports products.  On a more positive note, I think there should be some good deals to be had in the near future.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mikeysm

Well the century slingshot 1505-5 is a 5 piece 12ft 6 in surf rod. The bad thing is its way to expensive that's why I bought the 2 piece blank which is way less expensive. No wonder they don't sell the Shimano beast master 13 ft 6in version anymore. They have so many problems and you never hear about it.

philaroman

Take a look at the heaviest Carp rods -- there HAS to be a 4 or 5pc. 11-13' that fits all your specs.

AlcoholicFisherman

Thanks for the help everyone. Going to go with the Century Slingshot for now. Might have a custom built CTS blank at a later point.

I didn't know about the Shimano Beastmaster's issues until after I purchased it. Apparently Shimano is shipping out some of these rods so quickly that the carbon fiber may have impurities or otherwise be defective and causing unexpected break offs. Will contact one of Shimano's service dealers to see if they can cover the two broken sections under warranty.

mikeysm

It's that expermental carrot fiber they used in the blank. The rods are made in China I believe.

Mike