New Rod build

Started by Reel 224, May 17, 2016, 03:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

This rod build is for the Newell reel I'm upgrading. Butt cap, Reel seat and cork grips are first.

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

handi2

That looks great especially the cork work. I have everything to repair and build rods but just don't have the time to do it right. My sons friend comes over and does the work for me.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Marcq

Yup!! Great start Joe 8) What's the rating?

Marc..

Reel 224

Quote from: Marcq on May 17, 2016, 10:34:10 PM
Yup!! Great start Joe 8) What's the rating?

Marc..

It's a Rain Shadow E-Glass 12#-20# SWB70ML Mod Fast. It's going to be my Stripe Bass rod for the Pier. Some might say it's a little light,but I like to feel the fight and not horse a fish in.

The cork grips I assembled myself, I'm just starting to get into design of fancier style grips. I think they set the rod off. I am sure I'LL look back some day and say...what crude work I did back then, but it's fun getting there.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Newell Nut

Looking good. I have not played with cork much yet. On my list but not high on the list.

Reel 224

Quote from: Newell Nut on May 18, 2016, 12:29:24 AM
Looking good. I have not played with cork much yet. On my list but not high on the list.

Dwight; the way you build rods it's understandable. I'm trying to put it all together....grips and thread art :-\ I hope some day I can put it all together.

Joe 

cbar45

Very nice Joe. I like the subtle shades you chose, with the dark inlays helping to set it off.

E-glass Rainshadows are as tough as they come; stripers will fear this rod when season starts...;)

Reel 224

Quote from: cbar45 on May 18, 2016, 10:40:20 AM
Very nice Joe. I like the subtle shades you chose, with the dark inlays helping to set it off.

E-glass Rainshadows are as tough as they come; stripers will fear this rod when season starts...;)

Thanks Chad, I felt that would be rite for me.now the difficult part is figuring out what color pattern and what thread art to choose.

Joe   

Reel 224

I took these pictures to ask you guys opinion on the thread color at the butt end of the rod Pink,green,brown combo. I'm sort of up in the air with this combination.

Joe

steelfish

great building Joe,

I am in the process of chosing the components for my 1st rod build, I like your selection of reel seat, in my case I will go with a RS RCLB70ML but I also like the blank you are using.

looking forward your finished build

The Baja Guy

RiverAngler

Green and brown being natural "earth colors, why not go with a lighter color like "sand" or " rattan". It would go good with the grip colors. Pink?
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

thorhammer

Joe, check out brown/silver and green/silver trimar thread. they are a little harder to work with due to twist but the metallic with your cork tones will pop.

John

Reel 224

Quote from: RiverAngler on May 18, 2016, 05:40:40 PM
Green and brown being natural "earth colors, why not go with a lighter color like "sand" or " rattan". It would go good with the grip colors. Pink?

Pink it is the narrow trim. I can try Silver. I'm going to try a few combinations, I just haven't found the right coolers to make the cork pop.

Joe

Tightlines667

Do a you tube search for tigerwrap.  That guy from Texas did a beautiful rod with earth tone colors and a woodgrain tigerwrap that really matched the cork, and wood grain grips.  I like the idea of earth tones threads with your grip.  

Here's one that looks pretty cool...

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

STRIPER LOU

Very nice Joe!!! How about a dark green with light green trim and maybe some yellow or gold in there too. I can see its a quality build. Keep up the good work and give my regards to Ruth.
Best,  ..  Lou