physical exercises to get ready for stand up style fishing?

Started by Rickb, May 19, 2016, 09:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

Quote from: swill88 on May 26, 2016, 04:29:59 AM
i shook hands with willie mays...

he gave me a throwing lesson

He's been my baseball idol my whole life, never met him though.

David Hall

Okay sharkman, it must be time to put on the hip waders!
I hooked up with my first real shark this past September.  We estimated his size based on the length of that unmistakable thresher tail, over five feet long, I believe he was over 300lbs, I caught him on a two speed TLD 50W with will fish frame worked over by Cal Sheets.  Had him on for about 30 minutes and steadily hauling him in.  I had 150 lb braid backing and 130lb mono topshot.  I was sure I had him and would have had him aside the boat in two more minutes when he somehow turned and hit the line with his tail.  I didn't hook him on purpose I was targeting BFT we had caught several 5-7' makos in the days prior but this guy was huge and I came away with a new interest.  I'm going to target them a few times this year.  This time I think I might go with 15' of wire.

Newell Nut

With good exercise principles and a clean diet seniors can be very strong.

Aiala

Quote from: Newell Nut on May 26, 2016, 07:30:00 AM

Seniors like you, Dwight... rarer than hen's teeth.  ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Shark Hunter

David,
I can make you up some cable leaders with a 14/0 and 16/0 hook.
I have a 500' spool of 480lb aircraft cable. PM me your address.
Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: Aiala on May 26, 2016, 01:43:46 PM

~A~

My health issues and injuries caused me to get flabby and over weight but recently I have made major changes in what I eat and I'm going to the YMCA as often as possible.  I lost 15# of lard right away but now the lard is converting to meat and I am no longer loosing weight.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Newell Nut

Quote from: Aiala on May 26, 2016, 01:43:46 PM

~A~

Very true Aiala, I have lived what I preach and proved it is the right way and show all what they can do if they want to. I only know one other like me and he is getting ready for a national over 70 contest and should easily win. I may compete again when 70 but just have not decided yet. Got 3 years to think about it. Made a 600 lb lift in March and thinking about 700 this summer. We will see. A lot for a 178 pounder.

Dominick

I go to the gym 3 days a week and perform various stretches and workouts.  I still can't get rid of the belly.  I eat healthy also but probably too much fat and carbs.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

newfuturevintage

Quote from: Dominick on May 26, 2016, 09:34:11 PMI eat healthy also but probably too much wonderful, delicious fat and carbs.  Dominick

fixed that for ya.

Newell Nut

Quote from: Dominick on May 26, 2016, 09:34:11 PM
I go to the gym 3 days a week and perform various stretches and workouts.  I still can't get rid of the belly.  I eat healthy also but probably too much fat and carbs.  Dominick

If you consume more calories than you burn then you choose to be overweight. All gyms are full of strong overweight people. To lose one pound of fat in a week you must give up on average 3500 calories or burn an additional 3500 calories. There is nothing complicated about gaining and losing weight. I walked nearly 10 miles today and lost more but that is only water weight and I will consume that back. Since my food consumption was very light today then I will certainly be slimmer tomorrow.

If you knew exactly what to burn and what to take in you could eat one little box of raisins above that number every day and gain 10 pounds in a year. Most people consume food for pleasure when they should consume food for fuel.

Rancanfish

Shoulda, coulda....

I work hard physically most of the time.  Various shovels, a dig bar, and sledge make up way too much of my life.

I enjoyed the work for most of the first 35 years.  I now work for about a 5-6 hour day, then come home, shower and hit the hot tub to alleviate the pain in my knees and lower back.  If not I can't work the next day. (Self employed, my boss is great about that).

I'm 5'10" and 175.  I can't physically exercise after work, can't do a squat unless it's down only, and only have the ability to run for my life now.  My joints and spine are wearing out.  No amount of Kool-aid will change that.

Old age ain't for sissies.  On the original subject, I just watched some video's about tuna fishing.  The guys were asked how long they've been hooked up.  'Oh an hour and a half', 'Two hours', etc. etc.  What I realized is I just saved myself a lot of money,  because I'm never going tuna fishing, lol.  You guys go, I'll be at home fishing my rockfish, salmon and sharks.  Now if I was even 50 again, well........
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

AlasKen

Repetition is key.  It is much less weight than reps.  I tend to start heavy and work light then go back to heavy.  I like to start at 12 oz and gradually reduce the weight until it is empty, or I mean until it weighs nothing and then repeat as needed.  Nothing like twelve oz curls to add heft to a body.

Joking aside for me I have found that just walking 2.5 to 3 miles per day and going slow carb has made a big difference.  I also quit the beer and instead have a single double shot of tequila after work as needed.  Something I can sustain and drop inches.  Had to get out my old pants.  Dropped 25 lbs since Feb.  Trying to get ready for fishing and shrimping.  Ken

Dominick

Quote from: Newell Nut on May 27, 2016, 01:28:10 AM

Most people consume food for pleasure when they should consume food for fuel.
I resemble that remark.   :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

x2 , man food without pleasure?  Just kill me now!

mikeysm

Next you want to tell us to give up fishing because we're not suppose to like it.

Mike