Rods

Started by Keta, May 20, 2016, 07:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I have a 1.3:1/1:1 Penn 50SW but it is staying home.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

We fished down by Colonet last weekend. The high spot where they get YT is 113 miles south of San Diego. We got BFT a few miles north of there. 1 1/2 day boats can fish there. They were also getting big 50-80# BFT 30 miles west of San Diego last weekend on private boats. http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/5-29-offshore-report-stupid-bft-bite.627204/
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

MarkT

I'm planning on these:

Standard jig/bait
1. 25# Avet MXJ / Phenix psw808mh  (live bait)
2. 30# Avet SX Raptor / OC Rods Kaiuli  7mf (live bait)
3. 30# Accurate DX400 / Phenix psw809h (live bait)
4. 40# Penn Fth 25nld2 / Phenix psw700xh (yoyo/bait)
5. 50# Daiwa Saltiga 40ld2 / Phenix phd760xh (yoyo/bait/dropper loop)

Specialized
6. 40# Accurate Valiant 300 / Phenix psw760h  (flat falls/megabaits)
7. 40# Daiwa Lexa 400 / Phenix psw809xhj (megabaits/poppers/stick baits)
8. 50# Shimano TranX / Phenix psw909xhj  (surface iron/poppers)
9. 80# Shimano Saragosa 10000sw / Black Hole Challenger Bank s-801h (poppers/surface iron)

Extra reels:  Fathom 12, Shimano Calcutta TE300, Daiwa Lexa 300, Avet HX Raptor, Penn Battle 6000.

I'm hoping the 25# is only used for making bait!  I'll probably bump the TranX up to 60 or 80# for poppers if we're going for BFT.

My crew checking out the reels. Plus the rods. I don't know what's up with the pictures being rotated or how to correct it. They do look correct if I click on them to see them full size.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Big Tim

Quote from: R46chevy on May 31, 2016, 05:51:22 AM
Will anyone other than me have a 1:1 gear ratio?
I am bring a couple of fly rods along with me.
I have a few conventional rods too.

;D ;D ;D A couple years ago I brought an Ol' Skool Daiwa SLT 20 on a 7' Harnell full roller custom  ;D Damn if it didn't catch near the most fish on the troll. Must have been the harmonics of those old style stuart roller guides sending a vibration thu the line to the fish...Killa  ;D

BT

Keta

I ditched the 80# and added a 15# and some small jigs to play with bait I have fun with maks.   I usually use a 40# rod for making bait.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

stoked4fishin

Here's what Justin and I are planning:

Standard Jig/Bait
1. 25# Shimano Trinidad (gold) / Cousins CJB 70L & Shimano Terez 80M  (live bait)
2. 30# Shimano TOR16HG & Daiwa Lexa 400 / Cousins CJB 75ML & 70ML (live bait)
3. 40# Shimano TOR30HG / Cousins CJB 70M (live bait)
4. 40-50# AVET JX Raptor & Penn Fathom 25NLD2 / Cousins 70MH & 65M (yoyo/bait/dropper loop)
5. 50# AVET JX Raptor / Shimano Terez 66H (dropper loop)

Specialized
5. 40# Shimano TOR16 / Shimano Teramar 80H (surface iron)
6  50# Daiwa Lexa 400 / Phenix Abyss PSX809 (surface iron)
7. Two Bass Rods w/ Shimano Curado 300DSV Reels (plastics, laser minnows)

Big Tim

I got 8 spots on the rail...I had to sell off all big stuff 2 years ago for the IRS but did manage to get collecting again. Will be slightly under gunned but will catch some fish.

Rods N Reels

#1: very old skool  Seeker S870-7' 15-40 with my 500 all pimped out with #30 top over #65 braid
#2: 6'6" Tsunami Trophy 30-80 with an Avet MXJ ...#50 braid and #30 top
#3: 7' Tsunami Air Wave braid elite spinner TSAWEB701MHJ with a Penn Conflict 6000 full spool of #50 power pro
#4: 6'6" Seeker G6465 with my mini tank 113H full spool of #50 mono for whatever  ;D
#5: 7' Seeker G670 with Penn Fathom 25N 2 speed with #65 power pro and a #30 top shot for now
#6: Phenix Abyss PSX809 topped with my fathom 15 star drag with a full spool of #50 power pro
#7: Calstar WC-670-C matched with a Penn US113N and spooled with #40 mono
#8: 7' Rainshadow 30-80 with an Avet HX 5/2 backed with #80 power pro and a 50yrd #40 top shot

Not sure what I'm going to do with all this, but I do know I'm going to have fun  ;D

BT

Porthos

Quote from: Hamachi on May 29, 2016, 11:14:05 PM
You guys crack me up! All you need is a 30# rental rod with a broken rod clamp and a handle that keeps falling off, to catch fish 90 percent of the time. If someone tries to loan you their gear, they're just messing with you, probably the line is cut 150 yards in. Back away slowly and avoid these people at all costs!

Hey Warren...you all delrin-ed up?  :D

Hamachi

I'm torn. My backups are so nice I hate to leave them behind. Super tuned with all the upgrades just sitting there unused. So this year I'm fishing with my backup reels. Not good enough to be top dog, but worthy nonetheless. They need some exercise.
Wai, I don't fish my reels hard enough to need whatever that stuff is. Is that the stuff carbon fiber is glued onto? If it is, then I'm using it. Slowly converting to the dark side. May, or may not be in some of the reels shown off on this years trip. Yup, one to fish with and seven to show off my reel customizing skills.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Porthos

Quote from: Hamachi on June 12, 2016, 08:05:18 AM
I'm torn. My backups are so nice I hate to leave them behind. Super tuned with all the upgrades just sitting there unused. So this year I'm fishing with my backup reels. Not good enough to be top dog, but worthy nonetheless. They need some exercise.
Wai, I don't fish my reels hard enough to need whatever that stuff is. Is that the stuff carbon fiber is glued onto? If it is, then I'm using it. Slowly converting to the dark side. May, or may not be in some of the reels shown off on this years trip. Yup, one to fish with and seven to show off my reel customizing skills.

Nothing wrong with going to the old school backups...just joshing ya about the delrin. After rebuilding two spinners, I got too lazy to reopen my Sealines to ensure all were upgraded with delrin for the undergear and one on the top washer. The installed CF's will have to do.  :P