Okuma Solterra SLX50 - Dual thrust bearing

Started by boon, May 22, 2016, 09:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boon

I've just got my hands on the revised Solterra, the SLX series.
This thing has a proper dual thrust bearing arrangement - one on the left side of the spool and one in the right side plate. The way the spool shaft is arranged the radial bearings are essentially free floating; all of the axial load from the drag cam is transmitted through the inner races and the spool then, from a look at the schematic, is taken up by a "Holded Plate" in the right side.

I've had a quick play with it and there is seemingly no side load; I have dialled up the preload until the drag cam is hard to push forward and it still cranks exactly the same as it does in "Free"

I will completely strip this reel in the next few days and do a proper write-up but it is quite an interesting reel; particularly in that Okuma have done this in arguably their most basic lever drag reel.

johndtuttle

Quote from: boon on May 22, 2016, 09:55:41 PM
This thing has a proper dual thrust bearing arrangement - one on the left side of the spool and one in the right side plate. The way the spool shaft is arranged the radial bearings are essentially free floating; all of the axial load from the drag cam is transmitted through the inner races and the spool then, from a look at the schematic, is taken up by a "Holded Plate" in the right side.

I've had a quick play with it and there is seemingly no side load; I have dialled up the preload until the drag cam is hard to push forward and it still cranks exactly the same as it does in "Free"

I will completely strip this reel in the next few days and do a proper write-up but it is quite an interesting reel; particularly in that Okuma have done this in arguably their most basic lever drag reel.

Penn has been using a thrust bearing in their Squall LD reels for about 2 years now. Outstanding value.

boon

Quote from: johndtuttle on May 22, 2016, 10:03:18 PM
Penn has been using a thrust bearing in their Squall LD reels for about 2 years now. Outstanding value.

I think it's interesting that we now have 2 manufacturers doing thrust bearing arrangements in their low-end graphite framed reels; if/when Okuma start doing it in their Metaloid/Andros reels they will be Accurate/Avet killers in my opinion.

johndtuttle

Quote from: boon on May 22, 2016, 10:59:31 PM

I think it's interesting that we now have 2 manufacturers doing thrust bearing arrangements in their low-end graphite framed reels; if/when Okuma start doing it in their Metaloid/Andros reels they will be Accurate/Avet killers in my opinion.

Changing the design is fundamentally easy and the parts cost virtually nothing. Its the tooling and testing etc to bring something completely new to the market that is costly for the small guys.

I would love to see Avet and Accurate get caught up.

Tightlines667

Quote from: johndtuttle on May 22, 2016, 11:16:12 PM

Changing the design is fundamentally easy and the parts cost virtually nothing. Its the tooling and testing etc to bring something completely new to the market that is costly for the small guys.

I would love to see Avet and Accurate get caught up.

I am sure they have taken note, and will come on board eventually.

If you think about it, some manufacturers (I.E. Everol & Duel) have been using thrust bearing assemblies for decades now. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ijlal

Penn still does not use thrust bearings in its Squall VSW two speeds. No comparison between Solterra two-speed and Squall single-speed.
I live 'fishing'!

johndtuttle

Quote from: ijlal on February 10, 2017, 08:44:11 AM

Penn still does not use thrust bearings in its Squall VSW two speeds. No comparison between Solterra two-speed and Squall single-speed.

They don't need to there like with a Penn International that doesn't use a TBA.

Well, not precisely as the Squall VSW are not as strong but, the idea is that there comes a point when the max drag the reel can produce does not destroy the bearings at an unacceptable rate. The VSW reels are very large with correspondingly large bearings. Pretty sure in regular use they work just fine.

This no reflection on the Solterra, which I haven't seen.

Tightlines667

My thoughts exactly.

There are some larger reels that utilize thrust bearings in assemblies that are exposed to high side loads.  In particular I am thinking if the Everol.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rivverrat

Ive thought about this some. Avet has their Raptor series which I believe to be pretty good reels with good drag.

I question if it is really neccessary to have a reel such as an Andros 12 put out any more usable drag than they are already capable of when one keeps in mind their size & line capacity. My 12's do just fine fishing up to 25  lbs. of drag when needed for a short duration with out any major side load. I'm also getting what I consider to be great longevity from all bearings in my 3 12's. Ive replaced the the pinion bearing in my first 12 twice. The first time I believe the bearing was to a degree already bad. However I had been pushing this reel hard just to see what it was capable of.  

Their is something to be said about the ergonomics of a compact reel. This narrow, compactness that a lot of us love is hard to achieve when thrust bearings & such get thrown into the mix ...Jeff

steelfish

I will completely strip this reel in the next few days and do a proper write-up but it is quite an interesting reel;

soooo, was this write-up ever posted?

I used to have on of the old big solterras but sold it after 3rd use, now I have a guy offering me a new revisted model SLX-10 which has the double thrust bearing, seems like a good affordable reel for bottom fishing on my local waters and light trolling for the wife or friends to use (and keep them off from my Mk-15SEa).

The Baja Guy

boon

Quote from: steelfish on January 20, 2018, 01:32:52 AM

I will completely strip this reel in the next few days and do a proper write-up but it is quite an interesting reel;

I used to have on of the old big solterras but sold it after 3rd use, now I have a guy offering me a new revisted model SLX-10 which has the double thrust bearing, seems like a good affordable reel for bottom fishing on my local waters and light trolling for the wife or friends to use (and keep them off from my Mk-15SEa).

Yup, here it is: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18535.0

I thought it was a very good reel for the $$ and leaves the TLD50 looking somewhat dated.

steelfish

Quote from: boon on January 21, 2018, 06:20:59 PM
Quote from: steelfish on January 20, 2018, 01:32:52 AM

Yup, here it is: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18535.0

I thought it was a very good reel for the $$ and leaves the TLD50 looking somewhat dated.

nice, thanks for the following up, I will take a look right now,
I will surely get that SLX10 cuz Im already sold on okuma products.
The Baja Guy