Humbolt squid fishing in the Los Angeles or San franciso area.

Started by Gadget, May 24, 2016, 08:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gadget

Good afternoon Fella's my apologies if my query is simplistic to you guys. I'm bring my family to the USA in December this year and as usual the wish list of things to see is huge .On my bucket list is to catch a humbolt squid. I'm hoping the wife and kids will like to shop whilst I sneak in a day trip (or two) to catch said bucket list beast.
The questions I need help with are 1. Is it the right time of year?.2.Which is the better area Los Angeles or San Francisco. and hopefully 3. Does anyone know of or recommend a charter that may be able to put me onto a good squid. 
Being on the other side of the world at present makes for interesting planning . ;D
A bad days fishing is better than a good day in the office

MarkT

Most years they aren't available. I don't know that they made it up as far as SF. I've caught a lot of them this time of year when they were around. When they're around nothing else is because they eat everything else!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

They occasionally show up off of Oregon but mid to late summer.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Steve-O

Gadget, first, I hope you enjoy your visit to our country with your family.  Next, here are a few links to look at to assist you in your pursuit of the Humboldt Squid.

It looks like hit or miss to me based on El Nino and La Nina weather patterns as to when and where the squid show up in good enough numbers to fish for them.

Night time also seems to be the most productive time.

I hope the links help.

Good luck with your adventure.

http://saltfishing.about.com/od/commonspecie1/fl/Fishing-for-Giant-Humboldt-Squid.htm
https://www.zerve.com/RandysTrips/Squid
http://www.giantsquidfishing.com/
http://baynature.org/article/jumbo-squid-have-left/

akfish

Slightly off topic: Big squid are showing up in Petersburg, Alaska, enough so that some charter operators are taking clients out to fish for them. This is not good: There is concern that the squid will wreck havoc on salmon stocks.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

MarkT

They certainly wrecked fishing down here the summer they were around. Catch, kill, release them all!

alantani

if your plans include san francisco in december, please let me know.  likely all we will have available is dungeness crab and rockfish.  i don't run crab pots off my boat, but several friends do.  and i can definitely get you out for rock cod. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

whalebreath

Cooked & ate my first Humboldt Squid last month boy was it tasty!

Not cheap/nothing here is but I'll be having it again for certain.

Gadget

Thanks for the feed back fella's ,I guess humbolt's are out .In fact when I mentioned to the wife fishing whilst there she looked down her nose. But shopping is what she's about anyway. Alan I will be in San Fran in December for a few days only though would love to fish if the timing suits .We are going LA to San Fran to Las Vegas (flying) then driving across the country to Orlando. Typical Aussies trying to cram 3 trips into one. ;D

alantani

it's basically like spending three days in sydney and then three days in perth.   ;D 

as it get's closer, we'll figure this out.  i'll be retired by then, so time should not be a problem. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gadget

A further question or two if I may guys. Given my wife's reticence about me taking whole days off fishing whilst sightseeing. I was thinking of packing a travel rod and reel (you never know when an opportunity may present.)
Questions .
1. What are the licencing requirements for the US. West Coast, Arizona, Texas and Louisiana in particular  (EG here none needed for ocean shore fishing but there is for freshwater fishing and that varies state by state) Is it the same over there? I have only fished in Florida before and a licence was needed there.
2.As a fishaholic, I  need an unbiased opinion .(Is it a good idea or simply impractical given waterways ,licence issues etc).
thanks

Swami805

Here in California you can get a one day license for a few bucks and go on a party boat. They have mostly serviceable rental gear and a local trip won't break the bank. I live in Santa Barbara Ca, went on a 3/4 day today very mellow enjoyable trip, if you're passing thru I'd highly recommend it. Sounds like Alan could set you up when you're up there. Couldn't imagine going to your neck of the woods and not wetting a line
Do what you can with that you have where you are

MarkT

No Humbolts around this year. Besides, everyone is chasing Bluefin!