Squidder bug

Started by weather_man, May 27, 2016, 04:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weather_man

It starts with a simple internet search for terms such as Squidder, squidder accessories,squidder side plates or frames, etc. . Then I start clicking on different links, eventually ending up in an auction site. I start getting that feeling I used to get on the ship moored off the coast of Pattaya Beach in Thailand. My heart starts racing and then I black out. I pretend nothing's happened; after all, I don't remember buying them. My wife is the one with the web auction site account- not me. All I do is send  her links to auctions on items I think are a "great deal". Next thing I know, there they are at my door step. What's worse is now I'm contemplating narrowing them and maybe adding some bling to them. I don't really think I need to do anything to these but then I see some that are pimped out and I start getting that feeling again.

Anyway, just wanted to share a pic of my squidders. I can't stand odd numbers either...

weather_man

Does anyone have experience using a 146 for surfcasting. Did you find a 146 has enough line capacity for chunking baits in the surf. Or should I keep them wide? Thanks.

Rancanfish

Depending on what you are after but,  why not throw some heavy braid with a mono top shot, and go for it!

I have five 146's and a 140.  I love hooking up a ray in the SF bay by accident (sharking).  It so much fun on a squidder.

And, sorry I have never surf cast with them, just off the boat.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

David Hall

Squidder is  my favorite little reel.

Then I found an accurate Magnum squidder, I'm getting ready to load it up with all the awesome jigmaster hot rod parts.  It may become my ultimate Monterey bay all purpose reel.

mark d

hey weather man, i also think squidders are cool. i have a tiburon framed 146 and a 145 with a 146 side plate. i fish the surf with them but to be honest not a lot. more playing. newells are super cool also

unfortunately i was unable to download your photo as i am on a ship with super slow internet. i look fwd to seeing them later

Bill B

Squidders are the bomb....love fishing my 140s."great size and drags capacity...bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

thorhammer

They cast like a dream; they must as they were in production for 70 years. If you throw a 146 on a 12' rod and get on it, you will likely dump the spool surfcasting unless you can handle braid (I can't, you cannot get a backlash out that occurred under that much force). 145 width is good tho. great adds. I know what you mean about odd numbers, and I don't like reels orphaned with no rod either...

ez2cdave

A pic of a couple of my Squidder 140's with Newell Bars . . . Note the "bobbed" reverse levers ( I used to hit them by accident and they can be uncomfortable while casting - Not any more ! ) . . . I love my Squidders !!!

I also, like my "Hot-Rods" . . . The second reel is a Penn 525 Supermag Xtra from the UK . . . The Silver trim rings were a "special run" than Neil Mackellow had Penn UK make up ( I think there were only 25 or 50 of them made, same rings as the Penn 525 GS had, just a "bling" option, as far as I can tell ) . . . I've got two of them !

The Supermag Xtra reels have ABEC 5 Ceramic Bearings and 8 magnets, instead of the usual 4, from the factory.