Suggested casting weights for several Penn reels

Started by AlcoholicFisherman, June 07, 2016, 12:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlcoholicFisherman

What would be the recommended casting weights for the following Penn reels?

Penn 180
Penn 140
Penn 210 Levelmatic
Penn 109
Penn 77*

I've only really used the 109 and the 180 while slinging out 1.5oz and 2-4oz respectively, but I would like to know what would be the best weight range for the reels.

*Penn 77 - Fred/Foakes was kind enough to confirm that braided superlines would be safe on the old spool, but I don't know if there is an aluminum spool that can be used on this reel.

Best regards,
Danny

mark d

the only one of those reels i fish with is the squidder but not in that size. anyway i ain't no good on any conventional at less then 1 1/2 oz.

Cor

I would suggest that the rod you use with the reel has a far greater impact on determining the casting weight.   Reels are fairly flexible in that respect.......or not?
Cornelis

Marcq

Quote from: Cor on June 07, 2016, 01:51:19 AM
I would suggest that the rod you use with the reel has a far greater impact on determining the casting weight.   Reels are fairly flexible in that respect.......or not?

X2

Marc..

oc1

X3.  Select the lure weight, then select the line (#test and length), then select the rod, then select the reel.
-steve

Gfish

A big factor for me when casting a conventional/baitcaster is line suppleness. I even go to very short mono. leaders so I can get as much braid into the cast as possible.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

akadashoe

Hey Danny,

I've been using a one ounce chrome torpedo with my plastic-spooled Baymaster 180, 8 pound Stren mono, and a Sabre/Calstar T120 rod rated at 4-12 pounds, for about 40 years now.
Casts like a dream, is super sensitive to a light bite, and is a real halibut slayer.
I've also used up to a 3 ounce torpedo for dropper loop fishing on my Squidders.
Just my humble 2 cents.

Shoe

thorhammer

as above, application, i.e., rod has a lot to do with it but lets say 10-12 ft rod on squidder with the weight range matching 4-6 oz. on 20lb with a shock leader.

180 I probably would go more than 3oz if surfcasting but could crank 4-6 from boat.

940 I wouldn't go over 2-3 max and are too nice of a reel to blow up the levelwind in long distance surf casting

dunno about the 77 but I would say close to 85, which I would go to 2-5 oz on.

mo65

Quote from: akadashoe on June 07, 2016, 08:30:37 PM
I've been using a one ounce chrome torpedo with my plastic-spooled Baymaster 180, 8 pound Stren mono, and a Sabre/Calstar T120 rod rated at 4-12 pounds, for about 40 years now.

I'm impressed that you can use 8lb. mono with that 180...I had a bad time with 12lb. getting caught between the spool and ring...had to go up to 20lb. Probably my casting ability...ha!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~