Ok, Now I need advice on jigs

Started by RiverAngler, June 08, 2016, 12:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverAngler

In the next couple weeks I will be going out on my first rockfish/Ling trip out of either Emeryville or Berkeley. What type and weight jigs should I take with me? I have been looking at these  http://lingcodjigs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/image7.jpg , but have no idea what weight to use out int the bay. For rockies, I gather that red and yellow shrimp flies seem to be the weapon of choice on a 3 way with a dropper loop. Am I missing anything? What would you use? My inquiring mind NEEDS to know. I want this first trip on salt water to pay off.

Thanks in advance,
Ralph
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

humboldtdan

Those look good.  My go to for lingcod and rockfish is a large scampi on a 6-12 ounce leadhead with one shrimp fly about 18 inches above; both tipped with squid.  White is one of the best colors for the scampi, but have also had good luck on green/chartreuse, motor oil, and brown.

SoCalAngler

Down in So Cal most all boats when rockfishing will have frozen squid they cut into strips. I use a 2 hook ganion (Cal Regs) just tied into the line by either dropper loop or surgeons loop. I tie these  starting a couple of feet up from where the weight will be at the bottom. For me squid seems to out fish most artificials but maybe it is just a down south thing.

Gfish

How deep you gonna fish? Can you find out? It's probably a personal preference thing, but I tryn' go as light on the weight n' line as I can: less than 100 ft.= 3-6 oz. jigs, 30-50 lb. braid. 100-200ft.,= 4-8 oz. jigs. Two things I try to focus on: getting to the bottom quickly( can't beat a spinning reel for relatively frictionless line release), and being able to adjust for wind conditions which might cause the boat to drift faster, i.e. You may need to increase your weight  in order to control where your jig is, and get a good feel for the bottom. The jigs
from the web site in your post look great. Years ago I went out of Emeryville and we went out to the Far. Island area, it was pretty deep, but we lucked out on the wind, beautiful trip. I like Humboldtdan's thing, with a shrimp fly above the jig.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RiverAngler

Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

Swami805

Mega bait type jigs will work pretty well too. White seems to be a good color but chrome is good as well. A few other tips- There's likely going to be a fair amount of rent rods so try to get in the stern corner or fish near people who brought their own gear, you'll be in less tangles although a few are inevitable. A long rod also helps a little to get your line a little more seperation. If your using bait use circle hooks,light wire 2/0 to 5/0 and use a long top shot of mono 50-100', the stretch helps a little to keep the hooks from pulling. When you're winding the fish up a nice steady medium retrieve will keep the fish from spinning and coming un-hooked, no need to pump the rod.
Another vote for those big scampis in white, pretty much everything will eat them and they're very durable. Also try putting a trap rig above the scampi with a mackerel sand dab or small rockfish on it, ling cod love a big bait.
Sounds like a fun trip,good luck!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

pjstevko

Heres a thread i started before my first lingcod trips asking the very same question....Thers a lot of good advice and suggestions...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13883.0

check out this thread too...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13883.0

Rancanfish

Hey this was 4 months ago.  Was there a fishing report on this?  ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

akfish

Flat Fall jigs are absolutely deadly on rockfish up here. I like the glow yellow color the most. I'd definitely take a few on your trip but depending on the current and the crowds, you may not fish them. I really think they work better than bait.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska