SERVICING — Shimano Aernos 1000FA

Started by LLCC, June 09, 2016, 04:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LLCC

I must admit first, that I'm a noob at servicing modern spinning reels although the first reel I ever stripped and serviced successfully was a Fixed Spool Shakespeare in 1976. However, my path went down the way of "conventional reels" and there, I had spent my time at, servicing the Ambassadeurs, Penn Internationals and the Shimano Calcuttas and more recently, the likes of Antares, Zillion and Alphas.

So it is with trepidation that I approach a modern spinning reel, after having spent an hour puzzling over how to strip apart a Daiwa Freams 2500. Armed with that experience, it was with equal caution and restraint that I chose to break the servicing down to 3 sittings, when I was finally compelled to service this reel after it had had several visits to the sea.

I chose to break up the servicing into (i) The Spool and Drag system, (ii) The Bail and Line Roller and (iii) The body. Since I had serviced (i) and (ii) earlier and had not documented the process, I will talk about how I stripped and reassembled the body this time. On a later date, I shall add to this step by step, how I did the first two stages.

This is what it looks like after the reel is stripped. To my pleasant surprise, it was not complicated at all, and I grabbed the opportunity to relube the bearings.

The full step by step with photos are detailed in the link below:
https://gaspinggurami.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/servicing-shimano-aernos-1000fa/

HTH,

LL
Lawrence Lee

Alto Mare

Very nice Lawrence, you won't know unless you try. Great pics on your link...good job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Excellent work --

Thanks for showing us -- that is what makes this site unique.

Many varied skillsets.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

johndtuttle

Thanks for that!  :)

Just like the other reels you know once you gain a little experience it all comes together. Knowing the function of the bits helps you conceive of where they return later etc. One of the keys is having the right tool for certain bits. I think rather than complexity people often get into trouble trying to remove something with a bad tool.

Take your time, understand how it comes out, don't force anything, use the proper tool and anyone with thumbs can do it.  ;)

LLCC

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement everybody!  ;D

LL
Lawrence Lee