PENN 910/20/30/40 Levelmatics

Started by Taily, March 10, 2011, 03:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhead69

Thanks Dave. Appreciate the info on the Penn 910 Levelmatic.

Unutt

WOW, great tutorial.  Makes me want to buy one.
So many reels, so little time.

LineSideDave

Hey Guys, I'm new to the site. I have an old beat up 910 that when I would turn the handle it would loosen the star drag to the point you couldn't reel up a fish. Last year I bought new drag washers for it and replaced them and that did not help the problewm. I have since taken it apart again to see if i could ID the problem but to no avail. I now have it in pieces and I am having trouble getting it back together properly. I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem? I know it will take me a lot of time to get it back together and I doubt that even if I do it will work properly. I just hate to let it go, but was considering buying another used one and could use mine as backup parts. Thoughts appreciated! 

alantani

when it loosens on it's own like that, it usually means that the metal drag washers are out of order.  the 900 series levelmatics are not easy to put back together.  you almost need three hands!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

LineSideDave

Quote from: alantani on February 13, 2015, 07:38:43 PM
when it loosens on it's own like that, it usually means that the metal drag washers are out of order.  the 900 series levelmatics are not easy to put back together.  you almost need three hands!

Thanks Alan! I will check the drag washer order against the spec diagram to see if perhaps that is the problem. I hope it is but I doubt that when I changed them originally I didn't consult the spec sheet. THANKS!

fishhead69

The Penn 910 Levelmatic was missing several parts including the dog,dog spring,dog housing and dog pin. I got the parts from Scott's and the reel works great. Sweet little reel for sure. It's like the forerunner of the Penn International 955. The service at Scott's Bait and Tackle was very good as always. Now I need to take it and go fishing.

Marcq

Quote from: alantani on February 13, 2015, 07:38:43 PM
  the 900 series levelmatics are not easy to put back together.  you almost need three hands!

I don't use mine in salt anymore for that reason, my 940 gave me fits putting it back together , besides that I love that reel  8)

Marc..

Rancanfish

I have gone over this column several times and cannot find out what drag washer is used.  Out of all the Penn Levelmatic users here, no one ever made a note of an Ht-100 replacement?

I even asked Dawn at Smoothdrags, and she put it back on me, lol.  Her question is have I tried a 140 drag?

Well, no...I have zero drags on hand except some 6-113's from working on 970's with Alan 10+ years ago.

I don't really want leather drags and I don't want to make them myself.  If there aren't any then ok, I will move on.  But I own (8) of these reels and making drag sets for them is 'not my yob'.

Anybody have a note stashed somewhere?  I have caught up to 12 lb trout on these little beasts and never felt outgunned.   
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

lasportsman1

A lot of good info. I have one of the 1st year 930's. I disassembled it  ???to clean & I can not get the jack plate & pinion gear to go back in place. Can you assist me?
Thanks,
Larry

Rancanfish

Ok.  After finally having an issue pop up with a Levelmatic, I tore a couple apart.  You that have these little gems will be pleased to know there is an EASY drag replacement.

Dawn of Smoothdrags was correct and the 6-140 HT-100 washer x (3) is a 'DIRECT DROP IN', if you don't mind that the I.D. is a bit loose. Dawn said it would not be a problem. (Those drags went in reel #1). The greased reel drag system works smooth enough.
If You buy her #10's and grind away the I.D. a bit you end up with a perfect fit.

Then it occurred to me that our own Bryan Young sells the 5+1 drag stack to upgrade our Squidders and Surfmasters.  I pulled three of the CarbonTex washers from his kit that I had purchased prior, greased and installed them and I had a DROP IN, NO HAND GRINDING, smoother textured drag system.  I believe this is the smoothest start up drag you can have on this reel.

There you have it.

Sorry no one answered lasportsman1 as I think he probably figured it out on his own. (I fiddled with the same problem a bit). He became a 1 post and done for lack of response apparently.

Dominick

I read this post and did not respond because I never took one of these apart.  I trusted that someone that had an answer would have answered.  I hope he or she does not become a one time poster.  Hey LA Sportsman come back.  Someone will help.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

handi2

I have a couple of these reels and have used on in the bay caching Bull Redfish. They were so plentiful I kept downsizing my tackle to have more fun,

I do have bags full of NOS parts for these reels if ever needed. Too many to even list.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rancanfish

Hey Keith,

Can I put together a list of wants and have you price it out for me?

Thanks, Ran.

Taily

Thanks for your answers there guys, my spare time is not as free as it once was (at present) so I rarely am able to get back here and check.

Thanks for that info re: the drag washers rancanfish, between Alan and I we had lost that information along the way, it doesn't help I've moved house twice since posting up the original tutorial either. I'm deeply sorry I lost that info as while my own set of Levelmatics all now have CF drag washers, I couldn't offer that info to help others as I had just plain lost it. Very grateful for you posting that up rancan.

Larry, the pinion from memory just sits in place, loosely held in position by the yoke much like the smaller senators (squidder/500/112H etc) - refer to the pics of the complete assembly as it just sits there. Hopefully that is the info you were looking for, let us know!

Regards all,

Dave

Nunc est bibendum....

Rancanfish

Dave, we owe you upgraded thanks for the original tutorial.  :D

Alan wasted his time teaching me how to do reels since I won't touch them unless there's a tutorial to look at, lol.

I pull my Levelmatics apart just enough to get the new drags in.  I'm lucky my reels are still in great condition.