PENN 910/20/30/40 Levelmatics

Started by Taily, March 10, 2011, 03:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

I apologize for not seeing this post until now. When I do visit the forum it's just for a quick visit.

If you do need parts for the Levelmatic's just shoot me a PM.

It's just a busy time of year.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

lasportsman1

This great! I have an original Penn 930 & the pinion gear came out of the bridge assy. How do iI install it?
Thanks,
Larry

mizmo67

Lift up the yoke and tuck the pinion back into the curve, with the longer end of teeth up.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

phishxxii

I have a Penn 920 that doesn`t let out line easily when using lightweight jigs.I have to feed out the line. I adjusted the spool release nuts on both sides o the reel. I took the reel apart and lubed everything up. Still the problem persists. I`ve done everything possible except change the bearings,but they look good. What next?

mizmo67

Quote from: redfish12 on February 06, 2012, 04:25:48 AM
I had a problem with mine where it would not free spool unless the side plate thumb screws were backed off ever so slightly. Took forever to figure that out. I used a small amount of locktite to keep the screws from moving any more.

Try those screws that Redfish said shouldn't be overtightened.
The reels don't have a tremendous amount of freespool to start with, but over tightening of screws can put pressure on the bridge that binds the spool, on any conventional reel.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

lasportsman1

Quote from: Dominick on July 29, 2015, 11:07:55 PM
I read this post and did not respond because I never took one of these apart.  I trusted that someone that had an answer would have answered.  I hope he or she does not become a one time poster.  Hey LA Sportsman come back.  Someone will help.  Dominick

Thanks, no one has replied.

hurt locker

Just got my hands on a 930 and what a great reel. Took it apart to oil and grease everything and check out the drag plates. They were the original and were very smooth as it was but I put a coat of Cal's on them and they became smoother yet. I would replace them except my intention is to only use the reel on Lake Erie for Channels and it is fine just as it is. I did replace the handle with a Quantum Iron power handle and all I had to do was file the flat sides a little bit. Nice and tight. This reel was mint and had seen no use at all hardly. Very thankful to everyone who donated their time, Knowledge and energy to this thread.

Rancanfish

That looks sweet.  Love the Levelmatics for trout and striper trolling on a couple local lakes.

Biggest I've caught is a 12lb trout so no contest on the 920 I was using.  I troll with the clicker on, it seems to hold the line just tight enough to not spool out until I get a hit.

Enjoy!
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

hurt locker

Thanks, I got it just for drifting for big Channels. They grow pretty big in Erie. 20-25 lbs is not unusual. I just wanted an older Penn to fish with and this may turn out to be perfect.

Fishy247

Awesome thread! I've got a 940 that had the pinion gear rusted to the spool shaft. I took it apart over a decade ago and wasn't able to get it back together again. I threw all the parts into a bag thinking I would either get to it myself someday or take it to someone, but never did....I'm gonna have to dig it out and try putting it back together again when I have some time! God, I loved that little reel!

ez2cdave

Long live the Penn Levelmatics !

Tight Lines !

Recoil Rob

I have a 940 and a 930, I like using them for light salt fishing, porgies, seabass, etc. My only complaint is there's a lot of slop in the reel handle on both, they wobble. Is this normal. not worth the trouble of taking apart?
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

nelz

Quote from: Recoil Rob on November 04, 2018, 05:30:13 PMI have a 940 and a 930, I like using them for light salt fishing, porgies, seabass, etc. My only complaint is there's a lot of slop in the reel handle on both, they wobble. Is this normal. not worth the trouble of taking apart?

No, they should not wobble. However, because these reels do not have infinite anti-reverse, they do have a bit of back-play, but that's normal. Is that what you're referring to?

Recoil Rob

Sorry, just saw this reply to my question.

It's not the backplay looseness (tangential) but the entire gearsleeve is wobbling, everything moves from side to side, handle, star, nut. Reel was never used much, seems wrong.
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

Taily

Quote from: Recoil Rob on May 12, 2019, 03:52:50 PM
Sorry, just saw this reply to my question.

It's not the backplay looseness (tangential) but the entire gearsleeve is wobbling, everything moves from side to side, handle, star, nut. Reel was never used much, seems wrong.

Without stripping it down it would be difficult to diagnose quickly here. With a few tools you should be able to refer to the tutorial I put together at the beginning of the thread to properly investigate why your reel has that movement. Let us know what you find!

Dave.
Nunc est bibendum....