PENN 910/20/30/40 Levelmatics

Started by Taily, March 10, 2011, 03:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: Recoil Rob on May 12, 2019, 03:52:50 PM
It's not the back play looseness (tangential) but the entire gear sleeve is wobbling, everything moves from side to side, handle, star, nut. Reel was never used much, seems wrong.

This sounds like normal old run-of-the-mill gear sleeve play. A thin shim washer under the gear sleeve will cure this. Use only enough to take up the extra play...do not get it tight. You'll know why when you turn the handle. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Surfwrangler

Is there a SS gear speave for this set of reels? A buddy had one that is starting to round off at the top. Probably because he put braid on it when I told him not too☹️

Bill B

No SS gear sleeve available....but I wonder if another could be modified?  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

nelz

Parts for these reels are pretty exclusive, even the handle post fit and nut is unique to this series. Pretty sure there's not enough interest to generate custom parts like a SS sleeve.

You can still get whole reels and some parts on the "bay" though.

Surfwrangler

No big deal I can just order a new old stock one. Buddy doesn't seem too interested in using it since it's drag capabilities are rather limited and it's not a great caster. We fish redfish around heavy structures and it's not quite up to task. If I were a drifting fluke fisher or open boat light tackle troller I would love this reel. As is I am not so sure what to do with it??

Brandon G

So it seems mystic has found a great replacement with perfect drop in OD and ID: https://www.mysticparts.com/AbuGarciaParts/Parts/1116906.aspx
My question is, are we supposed to use a 6-7000 for the hard fiber washer replacement? Are there any Delrin washers for replacements?
I'm about to order the abu drags and want to make a complete order rather than 2 separate ones.

Thank you in advance!
Tight Lines :)

mo65

Quote from: Brandon G on May 10, 2020, 12:07:44 AM
My question is, are we supposed to use a 6-7000 for the hard fiber washer replacement? Are there any Delrin washers for replacements?

Brandon,
   I'm not sure where you got the info to use a #6-7000 washer under the gear sleeve. I just looked at it on Mystic...it surely won't fit. You can get a new #4-910 or if the one in the reel looks fine just re-use it. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Brandon G

Quote from: mo65 on May 10, 2020, 01:09:58 AM
Quote from: Brandon G on May 10, 2020, 12:07:44 AM

Brandon,
   I'm not sure where you got the info to use a #6-7000 washer under the gear sleeve. I just looked at it on Mystic...it surely won't fit. You can get a new #4-910 or if the one in the reel looks fine just re-use it. 8)

On page 4, the below quote had me all sorts of confused. haha
Maybe I misread or accidentally skipped a post...
I'll take your advice and just get a regular hard fiber washer (if needed)

Quote from: Taily on December 30, 2011, 10:44:31 AM
Just a note to those wondering about the part numbers for the HT100 drag washers used in the tutorial.  I originally asked Alan about them and he sent me some straight up but unfortunately between us we no longer have the emails we sent between us with the part numbers.... However don't dispair as Alan advises me this:

Quote..... Think I used a #6-7000 under the main gear and the #6-155's inside. It's actually better to use the #6-965 and grind them down to fit.

The 6-965 washers (3 of them from the 965 International baitcaster) are the ones that need to have their diameter slightly reduced to fit.

Regards,

Dave

ez2cdave

Here is a downloadable PDF of the article . . . Plus, a couple of additional items !

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

One more item . . .

Tight Lines !

Brandon G

Thank you!
I figured it out a few weeks ago. I got the ABU washer and it fit perfectly. The reel is great! I took her to the beach for Father's day, but ended up flying kites with my kids the entire time... haha oh well, next time!

lasportsman1

do you have pictures for the assembly steps for these reels?
Thanks,
Larry

ez2cdave

Quote from: lasportsman1 on July 23, 2020, 04:51:38 PM
do you have pictures for the assembly steps for these reels?
Thanks,
Larry

I found a YouTube video . . .

Dave F.

Ron Jones

Bryan went through one for me a bit ago and Alan spooled it. Its caught 2 silvers and it will catch many many more.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

handi2

I have some NOS gear sleeves for those reels.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL