PENN 910/20/30/40 Levelmatics

Started by Taily, March 10, 2011, 03:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

Welcome aboard Steve! Post a little bit about yourself in the "Welcome" board. Good luck with your mods.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Daz

Hi, can anyone help if removal of the bearing is required? What kind of tools is needed to remove the bearing housing as shown below?
Pic is from the topic starter.

I have 2 piece of 930 which have their bearing busted, no ReelX in those days......

kookel

Very informative tutorial!  Now that we're into levelmatics, I need help with a broken clicker on my 930.  Mine just loosely moves up and down with NO effect, no clicker noise.  I would like to know which parts I need.  Are they the click tongue and spring?

From looking at an exploded view of the 930, I see that I've the support block and the clicker lever.  My lever just comes right out of the block, nothing else attached or holding it in.  Thanks.

Taily

Quote from: Daz on April 19, 2012, 05:28:03 PM
Hi, can anyone help if removal of the bearing is required? What kind of tools is needed to remove the bearing housing as shown below?
Pic is from the topic starter.

I have 2 piece of 930 which have their bearing busted, no ReelX in those days......

Sorry Daz, I hadn't realised you'd asked that question. They are removed the same way as the larger Senators etc. If it helps a small screwdriver positioned just in under the retaining spacer and twist it slightly. The retainer will lift slightly, just work your way around until it is free. They are small and fiddly but it will come out if you work at it. The bearing can then be removed using a tool such as a rivet mandrel or very small screwdriver that has been flattened at one end and the last 3mm (1/8 in) bent at 90 degrees. Insert the end of the tool through the hole in the bearing and slide it sideways in firm between the bearing and the carrier, then wriggle it slightly and the bearing will dislodge.

New bearings should be still available for them.

Apologies, I hadn't realised there was an un-answered post here.

Regards,

Dave
Nunc est bibendum....

Taily

Quote from: kookel on September 24, 2012, 02:16:02 AM
Very informative tutorial!  Now that we're into levelmatics, I need help with a broken clicker on my 930.  Mine just loosely moves up and down with NO effect, no clicker noise.  I would like to know which parts I need.  Are they the click tongue and spring?

From looking at an exploded view of the 930, I see that I've the support block and the clicker lever.  My lever just comes right out of the block, nothing else attached or holding it in.  Thanks.

Its been a while since I last had mine apart but seem to remember they just fit-up nice and snug. If yours is loose then it will either be the clicker or the pivot has worn. You may be able to peen it on gently so that it doesn't come off so easily. Failing that you might need to purchase the new parts for it from Scott's etc.

Regards,

Dave 
Nunc est bibendum....

kookel

I think I'm missing the click tongue and spring.  I'm just seeing the lever and support block.  Are there any pics here where I can see how they're assembled?

handi2

Hello,

I have a Penn 940 Levelmatic in my pile of reels and this one still gets used. Are there any handle upgrades or any larger single knob handles that will fit the 940?

Thank you..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

Quote from: handi2 on December 05, 2012, 11:36:26 PM
Hello,

I have a Penn 940 Levelmatic in my pile of reels and this one still gets used. Are there any handle upgrades or any larger single knob handles that will fit the 940?

Thank you..

here is the master list!

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Handles.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fishhead69

Very nice tutorial. I have a Penn Levelmatic 910, an early model. The eccentric jack has a dog looking piece that somehow engages with the dog underneath the gear sleeve. For some reason once the reel is assembled the dog does not work making it a knuckle buster with no anti-reverse. Do you have any close ups on the configuration of the dog and that dog looking piece on the eccentric jack and how it goes together? Maybe somebody mixed and matched the parts on this one. This reel was a good old Ebay special. Some of the reels you get from Ebay leave a lot to be desired. It's amazing what some people will try to pawn off on you.

handi2

I have hundreds of parts for these reels. Bearings too.

I will look tomorrow at what you are talking about. Does you anti reverse dog still have the one "ear" sticking up on it?
Gulf Breeze, FL

fishhead69

It looks like something might be missing. It is difficult to see the schematic on Scott's Bait and Tackle website. On one side there is the dog housing or a plastic piece with a couple of holes in it that has a small screw that goes thru it and the other side there is the dog and dog spring. The dog is unusual looking and has a large dog spring. Again the schematic from Scott's does not really show everything or I could fix it. The 910 I have is one of the older earlier models. I wonder if there is a better schematic available for this reel? I don't have another Penn Levelmatic to refer to either. It sounds like you are very familiar with these reels. This is the first one I ever owned. Please let me know what you think is going on. I appreciate your help. Thanks Paul

handi2

Quote from: fishhead69 on December 08, 2014, 03:47:59 AM
It looks like something might be missing. It is difficult to see the schematic on Scott's Bait and Tackle website. On one side there is the dog housing or a plastic piece with a couple of holes in it that has a small screw that goes thru it and the other side there is the dog and dog spring. The dog is unusual looking and has a large dog spring. Again the schematic from Scott's does not really show everything or I could fix it. The 910 I have is one of the older earlier models. I wonder if there is a better schematic available for this reel? I don't have another Penn Levelmatic to refer to either. It sounds like you are very familiar with these reels. This is the first one I ever owned. Please let me know what you think is going on. I appreciate your help. Thanks Paul

Paul I will look tomorrow. I have been super busy with reel work and totally forgot. I did get your email.

Thanks.
Gulf Breeze, FL

fishhead69

Okay thanks. Whenever you get a chance is good.

fishhead69

I think the Penn 910 Levelmatic reel is just like the Penn 109 or Penn 9 that does not have an anti-reverse function. When you put the reel in free spool and turn the handle backwards or counterclockwise you can here the clicking noise of the dog hitting the gear on the bottom of the gear sleeve and the handle stops at every click. When you put the reel in gear and turn the handle clockwise there is no clicking noise and you have to hold on to the handle otherwise the handle will spin backwards or counterclockwise when you hook a fish if that makes any sense.

Taily

Quote from: fishhead69 on January 21, 2015, 10:42:47 PM
I think the Penn 910 Levelmatic reel is just like the Penn 109 or Penn 9 that does not have an anti-reverse function. When you put the reel in free spool and turn the handle backwards or counterclockwise you can here the clicking noise of the dog hitting the gear on the bottom of the gear sleeve and the handle stops at every click. When you put the reel in gear and turn the handle clockwise there is no clicking noise and you have to hold on to the handle otherwise the handle will spin backwards or counterclockwise when you hook a fish if that makes any sense.

Hi there fishhead69,

These reels are all fitted with an anti-reverse mechanism - albeit small, it is more than adequate for the reel and the amount of drag it produces. It sits under the main gear in much the same way most other star drag Penn reels do. Another look at the pics I put in the tutorial where the mechanism is just visible under the main gear. What I would suggest is that either the spring/pawl has dropped off/incorrectly installed or is missing. I didn't show the drive side completely disassembled in the tutorial as I was only repairing the items I needed to, a drag upgrade and grease the rest.

Hope that helps,

Dave.

Nunc est bibendum....