349/349H Frame kits.

Started by Cortez_Conversions, June 17, 2016, 09:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Awesome Tom. Thanks for the clarification.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

Absolutely awesome!
Can't wait to see it all done.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mhc

I don't want to get too far ahead of things, but what gear set would you put in a 'Magnum Mariner' ? 6/0?
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

RowdyW

It looks like a standard Mariner side plate not a "Magnum".

mikeysm

This is a excellent reel to bring Back from near extinction. The gears were strong enough and with the wider frame it will be a great reel. With a 113H stainless sleeve and stainless dog coupled with Adams insert kit you have a killer combination. All it will need is a stainless steel yoke.

Mike

steelhead_killer

What is the advantage of the 349 vs 114 narrow?  What is the application for the 349?  Just trying to understand the difference between the two. 

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

RowdyW

Quote from: steelhead_killer on June 19, 2016, 06:03:19 PM
What is the advantage of the 349 vs 114 narrow?  What is the application for the 349?  Just trying to understand the difference between the two. 

Thanks!

Andy
349H & HS--3.25 to 1      114H--2.8 to 1     Stronger gears in the 114H   Bigger drags in the 114H    Advantage -114H narrow                  Rudy

mikeysm

I think the idea is to keep these old reels alive. The 114 has plenty of parts and can be had everywhere. But a 349h is a hard find.

Shark Hunter

I just purchased my second 349H Wahoo special in mint condition.
They are out there.
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

If I may be so bold.
Tom, you already make 4/0 side plates, it seems to me it would not be to hard to figure out how to put the 4/0 guts in a 349 plate. That would allow us 4/1 gearing and those monster drags from Alan as well as a double dog bridge etc. in a really tall spool. I couldn't see a better reel for bottom jigging or bait fishing on the bottom for the bigger critters.
Just food for thought.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

swill88

What makes a 349 a wahoo special?

Shark Hunter

Newell wide kit.
Spool posts and stand.
Life is Good!

RowdyW

Quote from: noyb72 on June 19, 2016, 08:20:36 PM
I couldn't see a better reel for bottom jigging or bait fishing on the bottom for the bigger critters.
Just food for thought.
Ron
Did you ever try a 114H narrow? I would hate to have a Warsaw or Goliath Grouper Pulling on my puny 349 even with all the upgrades. A stock 114 or 114H will out pull & outlast any 349. Tall spool? Did you ever measure a 114 spool diameter? Higher gearing doesn't make for efficent gearing to winch big Grouper away from thier hiddey hole. A 349 has it's place but not for bottom fishing for Big fish. It's a better reel for trolling & kites like it was designed for.

Shark Hunter

I have to agree with you Rudy. The 114H is a powerhouse in a small package. Especially with all the upgrades available.
I have Narrow's, Standard, Wide and Extra wide Versions.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Still, the 349 is a great reel, all have their place.
This is taking it to another level, here is what i'm thinking:
The possibilities are endless on this reel.
Having a custom frame, spool and plates, makes it pretty much a new reel.
Maybe Alan C. could merge and help create the best reel available.
It would be nice exploring with a floating spool, 2 speed and heat treated ss guts.
This would make it a killer reel.
I discussed something similar to Steve Carson a few years back, I mentioned to Steve that they should design a reel with a 4" diameter spool, or taller, in 2 1/4" width and  having 2:1 ratio in low and 3.5:1 in high gear.
It would need to be light though, but having most parts in aluminum, that wouldn't be an issue.
I'm aware of the International, but haven't seen a reel in 2 1/4" width with a 4" diameter spool anywhere.
Of course, this is just my opinion.

With that said, I'm just glad Tom is offering these and will definitely buy them. I'm also glad  I never jumped on the Bandwagon and purchase a 349 when you guys were raving about them.
I have the guts, and that would be all that it's needed.
Maybe with enough interest, Alan could make us the DD bridge on this one as well, along with his awesome -X gears.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.