Brand new Abu Garcia soron stx 20 spinning reel making noise and vibration?

Started by walleye, June 18, 2016, 04:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walleye

Hello from Sweden  :)

I just bought a brand new spinning reel and were happy until I noticed the reel is making noise and some vibration. I´m just curious what can be wrong with the reel? Poor quality control at factory?
Of course i´m going to return the reel and hopefully get a brand new that is better then this.

Are problems like this common with others brands as well? When brand new? Maybe I should get a Penn clash 2000 instead.

I´m sure some of you experts can answer this questions :)

Video is attached : https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3a2l22g8dmbuh0/Problem%201.mov?dl=0

Sorry for my poor English.

Kind regards

Bryan Young

Sounds like gear noise, which means that the gears may not be properly meshing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Gfish

Welcome Walleye!
Sorry no expert am I, but I'm interested in the origin of your reel(place of manufacture). I see from the video it's got that image(coat of arms?, crest?) of reels made in Sweden by ABU. Great company. I've got a mid-80's baitcaster from Sweden and even though there's too much "graphite" for my taste, it's a very well engineered reel.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

cbar45

Greetings Walleye,

I watched your video, but the volume level on my phone wasn't loud enough to make out the noise you're describing. Having worked on the STX, SX, and earlier Cardinal LX versions of this reel, the part I'd look into first is the oscillation gear. It is mounted on a ball-bearing, and if that bearing has (or develops) too much play in it the gear won't mesh properly--with the result being gear noise and a soft "rumble" felt at the handle.

You might also have a main or pinion gear that needs to be shimmed, but generally that condition would be noticeable right out of the box, or at least the first time the reel is put to use. Are the sideplate screws tightened adequately? Sometimes they can work loose, causing the main gear to shift ever-so-slightly out of mesh.

Chad