How do you protect your reels

Started by Bill B, June 24, 2016, 07:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I like many of us spend a lot of time on party boats with lots of people we do not know...I've heard stories of gear being stolen when the owner was pre-occupied or getting packed up when leaving the boat....how do you protect your gear?  We spend in some cases hundreds of dollars on gear and it would really hurt when some low life pulls this kind of theft....I'm interested in your method of protection and your horror stories......thanks Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Rancanfish

I've heard of it but have never had an issue.  I've always treated myself to good gear.  I'm always with a friend or relative so someone is assigned gear watch while we offload or get the vehicle.  And that someone watching is usually one that won't fall for a distracting diversion tactic.   

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

otownjoe

I fish party boats a lot and I always take certain steps to help protect my gear. As soon as we are done fishing I bundle my rods with Velcro straps. I have had people break down one of my rods before thinking it belonged to them. At least that was what they said when I caught them. A bundle won't stop them but it will slow them down and keep mistakes from happening. On the ride in I try to put all my gear in one place so I can take inventory. I have never had anything stolen but I have left stuff on the boat. When we are close to the dock I keep my rods near me and that is what I carry with me when I get off the boat. If I have to make two trips to unload I always come back for the tackle box,bags or coolers. I never leave the rods on the boat. The rods go in the vehicle and get locked up while I finish unloading and collect my fish. I use a foam pipe insulation to protect the rods and the window of my truck. My rods won't fit in the truck so I roll up the window on the tip of the rods sticking out to keep some one from walking off with them while they are unattended. On the  boat I fish it is at the dock after the trip that gear disappears most often. Joe

Bryan Young

I've never had it happen to me. I will gather all of my stuff when I'm done fishing. It's easier to catch them on the boat then when off loading. Rods get covers then velcro together so I can carry it in one hand. Tackle box, snacks, etc gets put in a huge hikers back pack. And fish in the other free hand.

Lastly, I hardly have anything of worth much. If anyone wants my stuff, I'd gladly sell it to them for $100 for Rod and Reel.

See, no need steal. I will gladly sell it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bill B

Thanks gentlemen...good tips to pass along....myself I am always within eyesight of my gear or have one of my boys watching while I'm in the head, or galley....hope others read this and are forewarned...looking forward to more tips or stories....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

bluefish69

Guys

All of you would have a heart attack if you lived over here. All my rods are custom $375 - $750. When I was working Galley I would place my rod outside the door to the Galley, then set up the Galley. I would find my Rod & Reel all over the boat. One of the best BS stories was "I thought it was a Boat Rod". That set up cost me $950. Yes it had a Newell on it.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

I hear of this happening all the time on Florida Piers. Turn your back and your rig is gone.
They like to steal Kayaks too. When I Shark Fish, Its usually with one rod. I never take my eyes off of it.
One of my cheap rigs is $800. My kayak is always locked down with a cable to the roof rack which also has locks on it.
I hate to say it, but the main culprit here is Meth Heads.
They are easy to spot, Their teeth are black.
Life is Good!

Paudonate

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 25, 2016, 01:31:02 AM
I've never had it happen to me. I will gather all of my stuff when I'm done fishing. It's easier to catch them on the boat then when off loading. Rods get covers then velcro together so I can carry it in one hand. Tackle box, snacks, etc gets put in a huge hikers back pack. And fish in the other free hand.

Lastly, I hardly have anything of worth much. If anyone wants my stuff, I'd gladly sell it to them for $100 for Rod and Reel.

See, no need steal. I will gladly sell it.

Uncle Bryan I can tell you were born or lived in Hawaii hehe "no need steal" gave it away