Main Menu

I bought a boat

Started by Tightlines667, June 24, 2016, 08:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Now your talking John. That Dyer is all You. ;)
Life is Good!

sdlehr

Wow, John, power boat vs. sail boat. The serenity of sailing, and at half the price of the power boat would be enough for me to go that way. Depends on how much you like sailing.... 'cause you can fish off a sail boat if you want to, but you can't sail a power boat....

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

fsrmn

I have a little (9') inflatable Archilles with a 6hp Evenrude that I love. The big boaters might make fun of it, but until I learn how to pull a camper and boat together it comes in real handy  ;) I just have to watch out for oyster bars and sharp branches :o
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Tightlines667

Well...

I decided to go with the 1978Dyer29.. the only Downeast boat in Hawaii (that I am aware of anyways)  220hp Yanmar Single screw w/130hrs.  A no-nonsense, economical ride with good sea keeping abilities, and a big deck.  She is a little rough around the edges, and slow.. but a great starting platform, and most days you can't go faster then 12-15knots anyways.  A semi-displacement non-planing hull will operate equally well throughout her range.  

I am looking to close the deal on my first boat (besides dingies, kayakes, canoes, and duckboats) later this week.  

Wish me luck!

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

coastal_dan

Congrats bro!  Very exciting, if we get back to Oahu again I will definitely be reaching out! Haha.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

Cool beans....looks seaworthy....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

sdlehr

Congrats, John! I'm jealous!

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer

John, that's a great looking sled. Can't wait see to some pics of your arsenal pulling baits!!!

mike1010

Cool hull, and an oil burner.  Great choices.  Congratulations.

Newell Nut

Congratulations, tuna, mahi and ono are in danger now. ;D

Tightlines667

I got my hands on an authentic Vintage Rock-Away fish fighting chair.  I paid scrap metal prices (~$1.30/LB), and saved it from certain destruction.  This is one solid chair, and is nearly 150lbs.  It should get the job done, and I think it matches the boat's 1950's lines nicely.
Hope springs eternal

David Hall

Looks like it was made for her. Let's see some more pics inside and outside, power plant fishing deck or do I have to come over there and look for myself?

I did some reading on the builder, what a beautiful hull, great lines and incredible history, 50+ years in the making and still building the same hull.  That may be the longest production run of any hull design in the history of the world.  It has everything and loads of classic lines. 
You did well selecting this boat, I think your going to fall in love.

Bill B

The chair looks like a factory install....great addition....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tightlines667

I had to mount it 10" forward of where I wanted it, due to the deck's substructure.  It would also fit better if the post was cut down about 6". 

BTW, I think this is nearly the same model used in the Jaws movie.
Hope springs eternal