Main Menu

I bought a boat

Started by Tightlines667, June 24, 2016, 08:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Quote from: Tightlines666 on March 26, 2017, 12:50:25 AM
Quote from: Dominick on March 26, 2017, 12:44:23 AM
John I had problems using the washdown pump to run the live bait tank when I had my boat.  The washdown pump I had was not made to run continously which one needs to do to keep the bait alive.  I had a switch to direct the flow to either the wash down hose or the live bait well.  Check the specs on the pump to see if it can be run for a bait well.  Dominick

That's a good point.  The pump is not designed for this type of application.  It really is a bit weak, and has a pressure switch to turn it off automatically.  A continuous duty higher capacity impeller pump would be better then an on-demand diaphram.  I am trying to do things 'on the cheap' here since I am working with a limited budget.  I think it should work fine until I can afford a better pump.  I still like the idea if a single pump for both applications though.
John offer a fishing trip to the AT members.  Take 2 members out for the day and they pay gas and buy you a heavy duty pump.  How is that for a deal...win-win for both parties...and if you catch fish bonus.  :-*  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

Love the idea Dom...."gas, parts or cash, no one rides for free" as the old hippie saying goes.... ;)   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Dominick on March 26, 2017, 06:17:05 PM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on March 26, 2017, 12:50:25 AM
Quote from: Dominick on March 26, 2017, 12:44:23 AM
John I had problems using the washdown pump to run the live bait tank when I had my boat.  The washdown pump I had was not made to run continously which one needs to do to keep the bait alive.  I had a switch to direct the flow to either the wash down hose or the live bait well.  Check the specs on the pump to see if it can be run for a bait well.  Dominick

That's a good point.  The pump is not designed for this type of application.  It really is a bit weak, and has a pressure switch to turn it off automatically.  A continuous duty higher capacity impeller pump would be better then an on-demand diaphram.  I am trying to do things 'on the cheap' here since I am working with a limited budget.  I think it should work fine until I can afford a better pump.  I still like the idea if a single pump for both applications though.
John offer a fishing trip to the AT members.  Take 2 members out for the day and they pay gas and buy you a heavy duty pump.  How is that for a deal...win-win for both parties...and if you catch fish bonus.  :-*  Dominick

Quote from: TARFU on March 26, 2017, 06:59:22 PM
Love the idea Dom...."gas, parts or cash, no one rides for free" as the old hippie saying goes.... ;)   Bill

I like the ideas/thoughts guys.  I have a couple as well.

First off, I would love to get some of the kinks worked out, and dust off my offshore fishing skills a bit, before having anyone spend any time/money to actually fly out here to go fishing.  

Second, my back of the envelop calculations say fuel operating costs are about $8- $10/hr but total operating costs for a typical #hrs/year (given insurance, Maintainance, ice, bait, etc..) are 2-3Xs this.  So I plan to ask for ~$20/hr to split amoungst the parties aboard.  This is dirt cheap given charter fees typically run $1200 for a full 10hr charter.

Third, there is a significant market for fish here in HI, and I may consider obtaining a state commercial license to be able to sell my 'sustainably caught' fish to my friend's local fish coop to help offset some of my costs.  Ono, large Tuna, and large Mahi fall into these catagories.  Selling fish to help offset costs is common practice here.  The lines are somewhat blurred between commercial fishermen and recreational fishermen in that the state has lower requirements then the feds.  This leads to common practice, though not entirely legal on the federal stage.  I have not decided on this one yet.  I am fishing for fun, and do not want to break any laws for a few extra bucks.  On the otherhand, just have a look over at the Bloodydecks HI section and you will see most fishermen here sell some of there catch, despite being weekend warriers with other primary means of income.  As of now, I don't feel comfortable seeling any of my catch under a federally registered recreation vessel.  And I don't plan to change this or get a fed tax id or other measures required under federal law to sell catch.  Also, I do work for a federal fisheries agency and do not want any of my actions percieved as any sort of conflict of interests.  

The most difficult part of this boat ownership thing is finding the time I want to work on the boat and fish it as often as I might like.  The boat should be cheap to operate, I just need to get it setup, and start fishing when I can.  

Also, remember that there is no big rush.  Just to do what I can, when I can.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

David Hall

Keep everything a labor of love and you can't go wrong.  That's maintenance, improvements, and fishing.
I envy the waters you have to work with. 

Dominick

Quote from: David Hall on March 26, 2017, 09:46:56 PM
Keep everything a labor of love and you can't go wrong.  That's maintenance, improvements, and fishing.
David it's the same ocean.   ::) Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

coastal_dan

Enjoying the build John!  Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

David Hall

Quote from: Dominick on March 26, 2017, 09:53:19 PM
Quote from: David Hall on March 26, 2017, 09:46:56 PM
Keep everything a labor of love and you can't go wrong.  That's maintenance, improvements, and fishing.
David it's the same ocean.   ::) Dominick

That is true!  But there's two sides to every ocean and I'm on the cold side.

That's right I did say that?  California is the cold side.

oc1

Yeah, but with the cold current comes the upwelling and with the upwelling comes the fish.
-steve

Tightlines667

Just finished up my big fish reels.  2-14/0s, 3-12/0s with SS dogs, gears, and versa drag inserts.  950yds of 100lb on 14s&850yds of 100lb on the 12s.  I tried using a set of 3, 80size, heavy bellevilles..arranged )()  over drag stacks on the 14/0s. 
Hope springs eternal

Dominick

Wow John that is some arsenal.  Good luck.  Dominick

Tightlines667

I also have 1-15lb casting/jigging rig, 1-12 lb spinner, 1-30lb spinner, 2 hot-rodded jigmasters, 2-9/0s (650yds 100lb spectra/mono), 2-6/0s (650yds 50lb floro) & 1-4/0 (650yds 80lb spectra&50lb floro).  The jigmasters, newell,  9,6&4/0s, spinner, are fully hot rodded.

16 rods/reels total.

I also finished rigging up with all my trolling baits with new skirts, hooks, & leaders last week.  Around 60 baits total including 6-12" Marlin, 6-7" Small/Striped Marlin, 6-9" Tuna, 6-7" Tuna, 6-9" Jets/Wahoo, 6-7" Jets, 2-5"jets, 6-trolling plugs, 6-Ballyhoo Sea Witch/Wahoo, 6 5/7" Mahi Baits, 3-Shibi flys, Deep drop/Deep7 rigs/Palu Ahi & pinch puller, large/medium/small live bait hooks/bridles, Akule/Opelu floro rigs, squid jigs, medium/small bottomfish rigs, and assorted small plugs/spoons/jigs.

The YFT/ahi bite has been on for the last 10 days or so, so hoping to get out there and get after then soon.
Hope springs eternal

Donnyboat

John, with your live bait tank, if you have a stainless steel pipe, @ the back of the boat, with a U shape in it, pointing towards the front of the boat, constantly in the water, as you are moving forwards, the water pressure through this pipe, would fill your, live bait tank, you can also have a tap on it so you can wash your deck down, as well, you would only need a pump when your drifting, acationally, to freshen the water in the tank, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat