Shimano Beastmaster spinner?

Started by Rancanfish, June 25, 2016, 07:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

My bro in law just dropped off some old spinning reels.  One of them is equal sizewise to a regular Shimano 2000 size Beastmaster GTX   8-12A on the spool.  Seems to be all graphite black. Bail has to be closed manually, whether right or not.  ;D

Any worth? Any one ever had one?  I don't want it but I'll grab it for someone else.

He is leaving a DAM 110n,  that you know who is going to get in the mail for refurbishing.   ;D Hi Fred.

There's another Dam Quick in green I don't want either,
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

Send them over, Randy --

Trying to get caught up on reels this weekend after our trip --

Did a big 550 Quick for Alan yesterday.

Did a 221, 110, 330, 265, and a 220 for clients so far today.

All were complete restorations from the ground up -- including full disassembly, inspection, ultrasonic cleaning, any parts needed, new drags, buffed parts, Yamaha Marine, Syn Oil, tuned, adjusted, and polartec-bagged.

Like many of you, I have worked on thousands of reels -- but these old DAM Quicks, with their over the top component engineering, dead-simple bulletproof drive train, and clever operation -- never cease to amaze me -- from the tiniest Microlite to the largest Salt spinner.

This is why I choose to specialize in these reels -- along with Mitchells, Penns, ABUs, Cardinals, and other similar old soldiers.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

Alto Mare

Beautiful work on these vintage reels my friend...there is only one Fred!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

philaroman

is this it? 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-VTG-SHIMANO-CUSTOM-GT-X-BEASTMASTER-AERO-8-12A-SPINNING-REEL-JAPAN-MADE-/152118312690?hash=item236af53ef2%3Ag%3Asz0AAOSwepJXVYsl&nma=true&si=EvdwQusziB10D4mtZyz2c4rviEg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

NICE REEL!  I'm pretty sure SHIMANO's 8-12lb. line class is same as old 3000-size / modern(ish) 4000-size (8/270,10/230,12/170) ...  too bad I have too many in that size; if it were GT-X 4-8 A or ULS-A, I'd really want it.

if I recall correctly, that's from around the time that Shimano used a Bail Trip Lever design/shape that I had a tendency to flip during reassembly; and the damn thing would look right at a quick glance; and everything would fit; and the bail wouldn't flip...  maybe that's all it needs: open it up & however the Bail Trip Lever is, flip it over "the other way that fits"...  unless it was an "extra part" after prior "service"  :(  & you need RD-2394 from Fred

Rancanfish

Yep, that's the beast.  Not worth much apparently.

Fred, the 110n's spool button seems stuck to the top of the spool, and even more strange, I can lift the spool straight up pulling the main shaft out right along with it.

I haven't lifted it all the way out and the gears still seem to mesh properly when turning the handle, when I push it back in.

I purchased the little 110n from him kind of as a favor because he and my sis bought dinner for us last night.  ;D

I will get Fred to rebuild it as a favor to myself.  Darn cute little reel, solid in your hand.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

philaroman

Quote from: Rancanfish on June 26, 2016, 04:24:02 PM
Yep, that's the beast.  Not worth much apparently.

I'd love it as a parts reel:  I think it has everything I need to convert an early Shimano 3000 rear-drag from the stupid Quickfire "self-centering" one-point A/R, to a simple continuous 6-point A/R (might even be 7or8-point in that size)... otherwise, it has many parts in common with the original Stradic 4000F I have laying around somewhere...  what's your B-in-L want for it?

foakes

Quote from: Rancanfish on June 26, 2016, 04:24:02 PM

Fred, the 110n's spool button seems stuck to the top of the spool, and even more strange, I can lift the spool straight up pulling the main shaft out right along with it.

I haven't lifted it all the way out and the gears still seem to mesh properly when turning the handle, when I push it back in.

Randy, the issue is that the brass spool spindle is rusted on the inside where it mates to the spool shaft.

Not an issue, but to resolve it so no parts are damaged beyond repair -- takes a certain high tech process that involves soaking overnight in penetrating oil, a pair of vise grips carefully applied in the right place -- but not too tight, then a couple of blows with a nylon or rubber faced hammer... against the small chrome spool release button.  That will back it off the cross "T" pin enough to get a wrench to turn and twist it off.

Then if not rusted too badly -- clean the spool shaft and inside of the spindle with steel wool and finally Nevr-Dull until shiny and smooth.  Then clean the two parts again with an US cleaner, or similar -- to remove any bits of wool.

This happens when folks do not grease or oil the shaft where the spool snaps on.  I just use syn oil on these to allow the keeper spring and ears to work freely and to protect against results of water entry.

To get at everything easily -- just unscrew the red drag nut, remove the drag system -- and the spool slides off from the stuck brass spindle.  Then inside the body, just pop out the screw or keeper pin on the oscillating arm block -- then it slides out to where you can work on it.

These shafts will bend easily on the tiny 110, 265, or. 110N -- if too much pressure is applied -- that will spoil your day.

Any tweak will keep it from running true through the pinion.

Glad to help -- just send them over or try it yourself.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Zimbass

Have an Shimano Aero Black just a little smaller, in the 6-10 line size class, that a friend asked me to look at for him.

It only turns in one direction, backwards ! The reel is stripped on the spool side, so the anti-reverse is not in play.

I am not a spinning reel fan, so do very few services on them. Is there a special way the pinion gear and anti reverse cam are fitted ?

If anyone can point me in the right direction, or advise of any tutorials I can look at.

Very annoying ! Give me a baitcaster any time  ;)

Thanks.

Terry.

(PS It is a rear drag, and has the fighting drag too).
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.