Couple of Nice Little Reels

Started by foakes, June 27, 2016, 12:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Finished up a little Microlite DAM Quick 110 for a client today -- to match his 221 that was completed yesterday.

New gears, drags, a few new parts -- complete and ready to roll.

These 110's are good, solid little reels for trout, bass, panfish, etc...but will also handle a large fish if caught incidentally -- due to the tough drive train.

The 110 is 5:1 & the 221 is also high speed at 5:1.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Nice old reels.  Good job Fred.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Flounder Boy 3

Fred, you have a bit of a preference for the 110 over the 110N, is that correct?  (and upwards through the series, 220 over 220N and so on)

If this is correct, can you explain why?

Just wanting to learn btw, certainly not quibbling in any way.

I sure love my Quicks from the '60s and '70s, both the initial series and the N series.

Gary

theswimmer

Nice Fred.
I have a little Quick around here somewhere...
Best,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

foakes

Right, Gary --

I do prefer the earlier Finessa Series (110, 220, 221, 330, 331, 440, 550) over the "N" Series (110N, 220N, 330N, 331N, 440N, 441N, 550N).

However, I will fish with both reels -- just personal opinion, mostly -- plus a few under the hood observations from working on hundreds of these over the years.

The difference between excellent, and a slightly better excellent -- is generally a fraction of a percent -- when you get into the better reels.

No reel ever produced is perfect -- weak areas can be found with any reel -- no matter how good it is, or how little or now much it might cost.

But some are better than others, IMO.

The Finessa Series has a better anti reverse system that prevents the rotation of the head at the middle of the drive train (there are 8 holes machined into the large bronze gear on these, that a spring loaded A/R beveled pin drops into every 45 degrees).  This stops backward issues at the strongest point in the drive train -- midway between the crank and the rotating head.

The "N" series has an aluminum A/R dog just inside and under the outer rim of the rotor -- more chance for tweaking the head with too much inertia.

There are a couple of plastic parts on the "N" series --

But overall, these are both good reels in my opinion -- with HD bronze phosper cut gears, steel worm-drive pinions, oversize bearings, and spool shafts that are very strong.

Comparing a 220 to a similar size Mitchell 300 -- there is no comparison, IMO, when one considers the machining, tight tolerances, the Mitchell 300 has soft pot metal gears, bushing rather than a main bearing, etc.

Although some believe the Mitchell is a sleeker looking reel -- beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and based on perception -- not always facts.

When we observe and understand the engineering differences in spinning reels -- we discover that there are many good reels out there from the last 30 or 40 years -- Penn, Mitchell, Daiwa, Shimano, Shakes, ABU Cardinals, and others -- but the Quicks are one of my personal favorites.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

I believe that 110 would make a great trout reel. From your specs I can see it has advantages over the Mitchells. Thanks for sharing!  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

handyandy

I'd like to have one of these for a light smallmouth catching rig trying to pic one up off th auction site to clean and fix up. Love the way they look

handi2

These reels were built by craftsmen not assemblers. Every single part is so much better than I've seen in any reel and each part is made to be replaceable.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

A modern lightweight reel like a Daiwa, Shakes, or other similar plastic bodied, pot metaled gear, Asian reel -- will catch possibly 50 fish before it shows signs of wear or needing replacement.

An old D.A.M. Quick Microlite will catch fish for 50 years reliably -- then it can be restored and good for another 50.

Working on a couple today -- a 220N from Alaska, and another 265 Microlite from West Virginia.

I have never seen a Microlite in better condition after 56 years, and just ultrasonic baths in degreaser and simple green.  These are remarkable reels built by a generation of German Craftsmen and women who took pride in their profession -- just like Keith mentioned.

If you find a good one on ebay, Andy -- it will likely need a disassembly, cleaning, reassembly, synthetic grease & oil -- then be ready to go.  If you need any parts, help, or advice -- just let me know.  It is easy enough to walk you through any tricks and sinkholes.

Or if you want a complete reel -- I have some to spare.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

handyandy

I appreciate the offer for tips and help I've read over all your how to and pictures of these reels. You've already been a big help I got a finesse I believe 330 series got if for cheap needs a good cleaning and lube as you mentioned everything seems fine except it's missing the nut that holds the bail wire on the end of the rotor with the line roller. Also Fred what  do you know about the dam 101 reels?

handyandy

I'd be interested in a complete reel too if you have one to spare I'm fine with one I have to go through I've already fixed up a old penn 722 and 430 need to pull apart this finesse I have and go through it will probabaly use it for a catfish rig wanting a small dam for a bass rig waiting for a 220n to arrive I bought for cheap probably will go on a stiffer bass rod for flipping jigs in cover

foakes

If you will PM me your address, Andy, I will sent out a hex acorn nut and a lock washer for the end of the bail by the roller -- N/C -- for the Finessa, which was the precurser to the 330.

The 101s -- along with the other similar series of Quicks (79, 89, 91, etc..) were DAM's foray into making reels cheaper -- while trying to survive as other makers moved production to Asia.

The product is sound -- but the bodies are plastic -- and many of the bullet-proof internals of earlier days -- have been corporationized -- as survival and bottom line took precedence over quality.

I have a boxful -- but they are basically junky reels with no ability to get parts.

Glad to sell you a complete reel, if that is what you prefer -- but I will not sell a reel unless I have gone through it 100% --  and replaced anything needed with new.

Many folks do not understand how these reels work -- how the old brown factory grease gets turned to beeswax, how to tear them down completely prior to modern grease and oil application and tuning, how to evacuate and analyze the bearings and other parts.  So things get done 90% -- and the 10% becomes a problem, at least to me.  I just like it right when you receive it.  No offense...

Let me know what you need.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

handyandy

Fred thanks for the help I sent you a pm. In regards to getting a reel I understand where your coming from I encounter the same problem with cars and outboards when people try to fix them that don't fully understand them. With that I fully understand the importance of taking gen completely apart cleaning them thoroughly to rid them of the old grease and the inportance of proper bearing cleaning and refreshing/oiling it all. I have a ultrasonic I use it a lot on carbuerators for outboards and small engines now have begun using it on reels as have begun to fix them up recently. I've thoroughly read through all your post about these dam reels at first finding them on fleabay is what caught my interest. Then reading all your post and how too's over them cause me to buy some after getting this finesse apart I see how great they are truly great reels.