Jiggin Master and Maxel Reels

Started by miwidomi, March 13, 2011, 09:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Just wanted to follow up this thread with some Maxel positivity! haha.

I just got back from a 24 Hour Tile Deep drop (pictures and positive report to follow, I promise  8)) and the most common reel on the boat....Maxel OceanMaster 10 (there were a few 8's and 9's mixed in as well).  These things were beasts...the gent I fished next to had one and the ratio is 4.5:1 whereas my Narrow Senator is 4:1...he was reeling with ease and always beat me up by about 15-20 cranks.  The nice long handle arm was about 1" longer than mine and you could tell the difference.  We fished in water between 320 ft - 950 ft and the first guys up were ALWAYS these Maxels..I always came up soon after, but the last were the electric's! (But those guys weren't as tired, haha!)

I have become a Penn fanatic, but other than bumping up to a 2 speed Torque 40NLD I can't see another reel in their lineup that can match the Maxel.  Also, you would need to add a power handle to the Torque ($36 for Alan's) so that puts you right around $550 (Penn) compared to $420 (Maxel).

On this trip I discussed reels with the Godfather of Tilefish here in the Northeast (some of you may know him, but I'll leave his name off).  He said if he had known about the Maxels before the Jigging Masters he would have gone that route, but he still loves his Jigging Masters even though they are about twice as much as the Maxel's.  He recommended the Maxel 10 or an Accurate 600 Narrow as two reel options.

I think I'm in the process of letting go of my Senator Narrow to move up to the Maxel, I've heard nothing but good things for the past year or so.  Good to hear about their products getting better!

As always, this is an opinion post...take it or leave it  ::)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

johndtuttle

Quote from: coastal_dan on July 08, 2016, 05:32:10 PM
Just wanted to follow up this thread with some Maxel positivity! haha.

I just got back from a 24 Hour Tile Deep drop (pictures and positive report to follow, I promise  8)) and the most common reel on the boat....Maxel OceanMaster 10 (there were a few 8's and 9's mixed in as well).  These things were beasts...the gent I fished next to had one and the ratio is 4.5:1 whereas my Narrow Senator is 4:1...he was reeling with ease and always beat me up by about 15-20 cranks.  The nice long handle arm was about 1" longer than mine and you could tell the difference.  We fished in water between 320 ft - 950 ft and the first guys up were ALWAYS these Maxels..I always came up soon after, but the last were the electric's! (But those guys weren't as tired, haha!)

I have become a Penn fanatic, but other than bumping up to a 2 speed Torque 40NLD I can't see another reel in their lineup that can match the Maxel.  Also, you would need to add a power handle to the Torque ($36 for Alan's) so that puts you right around $550 (Penn) compared to $420 (Maxel).

On this trip I discussed reels with the Godfather of Tilefish here in the Northeast (some of you may know him, but I'll leave his name off).  He said if he had known about the Maxels before the Jigging Masters he would have gone that route, but he still loves his Jigging Masters even though they are about twice as much as the Maxel's.  He recommended the Maxel 10 or an Accurate 600 Narrow as two reel options.

I think I'm in the process of letting go of my Senator Narrow to move up to the Maxel, I've heard nothing but good things for the past year or so.  Good to hear about their products getting better!

As always, this is an opinion post...take it or leave it  ::)

I don't think Tilefish need much drag but be advised this design will eat pinion bearings at high drag presets.

Thanks for the update! :)

basto

You really have to own and use a JM or Maxell to appreciate them. Because they do pull a lot of drag, you don`t have to go too tight with that preset dial. This will save your bearing.
My JMPE5n is my favourite reel to pull up heavy fish from the bottom. A pleasure to use.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

coastal_dan

I was just checking out the JM Ocean Devil line of reels...anyone use one before?  The PE8 was $397.00 (single drag disk, not two like on the PE).  Looks to hold about 600+ yds of 50 lb braid.   May be an interesting option!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Reinaard van der Vossen

The single drag might be harder on your bearing, especially the pinion bearing at higher drag settings.

I do not own a JM or maxel but I own an M&W ocean star, I specifically made sure that it was double drag otherwise the axial load on the bearings is too high.

Note that I'm not saying that these are all the same reels, only that they look incredibilly similar

bmullaney

I have been deep dropping using my aVET LX 4.6 and LX raptor in the 3.0 low gear when I have to go to 4 lbs of lead.  I want to upgrade the Avets (I am a lefty) to something that is better at cranking. What reel other than JM would you men recommend for deep dropping up to 4lbs of lead in up to 1200 feet?

Is there still an issue with parts for Maxel's?? I see they have a Sea Lion left handed jigging reel. Appreciate any advice!

boon

Quote from: bmullaney on September 24, 2017, 12:37:48 PM
I have been deep dropping using my aVET LX 4.6 and LX raptor in the 3.0 low gear when I have to go to 4 lbs of lead.  I want to upgrade the Avets (I am a lefty) to something that is better at cranking. What reel other than JM would you men recommend for deep dropping up to 4lbs of lead in up to 1200 feet?

Is there still an issue with parts for Maxel's?? I see they have a Sea Lion left handed jigging reel. Appreciate any advice!

None of the Maxel jigging reels really have the line capacity for that kind of fishing.
Furthermore, you would be miserable retrieving a 64oz sinker from that depth with a reel that fast. The Maxels are made for mechanical jigging, with jigs up to maybe 32oz.
The OSL12 and OSL16 might just manage, but they are still pretty fast and single speed only. If you do go for one, make sure you get the D models (dual drag) as the drag output from the single drag models is quite low for what they are.

No idea what to recommend really... the lefty bit makes it a bit tricky.

bnz

Old thread, but to answer the OPs question I just ordered a Maxel transformer reel and the tracking has it coming from a facility in Dongguan, China.

Benni3

So I talked to evike and got my dad a pe5 and power spell rod,,,about 2yr ago,,,,you can't get any better :D kieth has one and just ask Alan tani want he thinks  ;D

Solid72

So time to bring up this thread again.  With the bluefin tuna on the west coast and quite a few people doing the fast jigging with knife jigs.  I'm now looking into it and can't decide on the JM PE8 or Maxel OM10.  Any new information on these out there?
Fishhard!

redsetta

Hi mate,
I've fished them both many times and couldn't call out a substantive difference between 'em.
They're both extremely capable jigging reels that do the hard yards year in-year out here in NZ...
JM and Maxel have a strong presence here, so service and parts are relatively easy (though JM parts tend to be quite costly).
Not sure if after-sale support might be a consideration Stateside?
Aside from that, can't really go wrong with either in my view.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

i met the guys with evike once.  they had someone to work on these, but i'm not sure what their status is now.  unless you knew for sure that this was going to workout if you needed service, i would still pass.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!