Saltiga 50 Star Drag Problem

Started by xaf, June 28, 2016, 07:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xaf

The last two times I have caught fish, while fishing in free spool, with my Saltiga 50 when I flipped the clutch lever to put the reel in gear there has been a grinding noise and it has taken an extra beat or two to go into gear.  I fish the reel quite often and it has never done this before.  I'm guessing that it has something to do with the pinion gear not engaging properly but I'm not certain. The reel is several years old so I suspect it may be something like a worn part or weaken spring. I took the side plate off and I can't see anything obliviously wrong with the clutch mechanism.  I did a quick search hear on the forum but couldn't find anything addressing the issue. 

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? I don't want to just start changing parts haphazardly without knowing what is causing the problem.  If I need new parts I would like to get them on order so I can use the reel on an upcoming fishing trip.

Thanks in advance for any info/solution that can be provided on this problem.
(Originally posted in "General Questions and Troubleshooting.")

alantani

pull the left side plate and take a look at the shoulders of the spool shaft on the right side, take a look at the pinion support bearing, and the pinion gear itself.  chances are that something is stuck or corroded. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

xaf

Here are a couple pictures of the end of the spool and the opening in the pinion gear. These are the only two parts that I have found that might show some wear.   (I apologize in advance for the quality of the pictures.)  I have not seen the inside of enough reels to know for sure what these parts should look like.

It may be hard to see but the "shoulders" of the part of the shaft that engages the pinion gear (I don't know it's proper name) appear to be cut at an angle.  All 4 shoulders are the same.  I think this is intentional and not wear.  Am I correct?

Again, it's hard to see but there are two "cavities" that appear to be intentional on the edge of the hole in the end of the pinion gear.  should these be there or are they caused by wear? (Enlarging the image of the end of the pinion gear makes it look worse then it really is.  It doesn't really appear to be worn to badly.)

If either of these does appear to be worn does it appear to be severe enough for the reel to not go into gear properly when the clutch lever is engaged?

Thank you

alantani

Looks like a fight between the spool shaft and the pinion gear.  The pinion gear lost and likely should be replaced.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

xaf

Thanks for the input.  I already have a new pinion gear on order.  Hoping I don't have to replace the spool ($$$$).