Help Me Pick my Next Reel

Started by spc7669, June 30, 2016, 03:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spc7669

There are so many fine reels out there. Maybe I need to buy two or even three new ones. Seems like that would be much less stressful.

spc7669

Daron, I do believe that handle is larger than any reel I'm looking at. What a beast!

Shark Hunter

Everol 20/0 two speed. Fine Italian Craftsmanship. Accept no Substitute. ;)
Life is Good!

spc7669

Now that you mention it, I knew nothing about Everols. Did some Googling and now you can add the VJ 2.5 to the list. Those are some beautiful reels.

spc7669

Okay, since Daron threw Everol into the mix, the list has changed.

I am looking for a super stout small reel.

Currently the Andros 12IIa and Everol T shot 20 have my interest. This is a reel I plan on keeping forever and as such, I don't mind spending some extra money.

I have dealt with Okuma's customer service one time and they were great. I'm having a hard time locating very many Everol dealers, but their customer service reputation appears to be excellent.

Any thoughts between the two?

Tightlines667

Quote from: spc7669 on July 04, 2016, 03:28:17 AM
I don't mind spending some extra money.

Then why not consider the Penn Torque?

I like the Fin-North Marquesas as well.

Older Internationals are bullet-proof little reels as well.

Guess it's good to have options.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

MarkT

In that case include a Torque 30 2 speed in the list. Personally, I wouldn't even consider an Everol. I have AbuGarcia, Accurate, Avet, Daiwa, Okuma, Penn, ProGear, Shimano.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

spc7669

Mark, why would you not consider the Everol?

The Torque is a fine looking reel and the Marquesa has one of the nicest finishes of all the reels I've viewed. Good lord, there are too many nice reels in the world. I've got some more reading to do....

MarkT

Too fringe and unsupportable for me. I get an expensive tool, it has to stand the test of time.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

spc7669

And that was my biggest concern with the Everol....parts have to be reasonably available.

sharkman

All reels listed are great reels. I would vote Avet. The sx is great little USA made reel.

Shark Hunter

Pat,
I only have big Everol's. Serious Shark Fisherman use them. Parts are only an email away.
They are just not that popular here because they come from Italy. They have been in Business since 1958.
You don't see a lot of Ferrari's driving around. ;)
Never really looked at the T Shot. It is a Sexy little Reel. Like the Ferrari Spider.
Looks like Something Tom Made. ;D
http://488spider.ferrari.com/#en/home/video
Life is Good!

spc7669

Daron, I am pretty fascinated with the Everols. The machining is incredible and so are the drag numbers. I'm glad to hear of the longevity of the company and someone that I know vouching for their customer service.

Where do you buy an Everol in the US? I can't find a dealer here with an Internet site that works.

Normslanding

Well I like Alan's choice. Being a Okuma nut the choices would be:
   Small and light the  Andros A-5II
   Heavy duty small the Makaira M-10II
   A little bigger the Andros A12SII
For a star drag a Pro Gear
For a Penn it would be a Fathom.

spc7669

Just looked at a Makaira SEA. Somebody at Okuma reads this website. It appears to be pre-hot rodded.