Help Me Pick my Next Reel

Started by spc7669, June 30, 2016, 03:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

We need to pay attention to Okuma --

They are possibly the next Shimano --

They have been steadily growing their quality and reputations by looking at the successes and shortcomings of Shimano, Daiwa, and a few others.

Just look at their product line in person, or online, and crack open a few of their reels.

Listen to a few of the pros on this site -- and we will realize that Okuma has made a commitment to quality and good service.

And they are in this for the long haul.

Good company and excellent products.

And they do know and listen to Alan...

Just my opinions...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

johndtuttle

If you are looking for a powerful small reel then nothing is going to surpass an Okuma Makaira 10 II...

If you want something just a little lighter and more all purpose (ie better caster) then nothing better than a Penn Torque 25N.

spc7669

John,

For a hundred bucks more than the Andros, the Mak SEa is a whole lotta reel. And Charkbait appears pretty reasonable on spooling.

Patrick

johndtuttle

Quote from: spc7669 on July 05, 2016, 01:30:57 AM
John,

For a hundred bucks more than the Andros, the Mak SEa is a whole lotta reel. And Charkbait appears pretty reasonable on spooling.

Patrick

Yep, Mak is very, very good. A Torque will fish a little nicer (lighter and better caster) and is superior to the Andros.

Mak can't be beat for straight strength and toughness with a little more weight for a small reel.

Makule

I'll second Sharkhunter's position on Everol.  I've worked on them and parts were easily available through email (got some stuff free) from Paolo.  Built like military tanks.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Big Tim

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 01, 2016, 12:11:38 AM
I have to sit this one out Pat. I only have three two speeds. They were meant for one thing. ;)

Damn Daron...I would still need a bigger beer belly to levrage that reel  ;D

BT

Shark Hunter

So, What are you trying to say Big T?
I'm Pushing 230. I have never been this fat. ;D
Life is Good!

spc7669

I finally made my decision. And it's none of the above. I was pretty set on the Makaira 8II SEa. I still think it punches way above its weight class.

The only two conventional reels I own are a Shimano Torium 16 with the dog and spring upgrade and carbontex drag washers and an Okuma Solterra 10 with a full Tani clean and lube. Both put out a little over 20# drag and have similar capacity. The addition of the Mak 8 would not expand my capabilities very much....but a Tank sure will.

Rather than buy a new reel, I think I want to roll my own. Thanks to Sal and Rudy for setting the hook. I already put my name in the hat for one of Adam's new titanium handles. Time to order some parts!

Thank you all for the input.

johndtuttle

Quote from: spc7669 on July 13, 2016, 11:10:04 PM
I finally made my decision. And it's none of the above. I was pretty set on the Makaira 8II SEa. I still think it punches way above its weight class.

The only two conventional reels I own are a Shimano Torium 16 with the dog and spring upgrade and carbontex drag washers and an Okuma Solterra 10 with a full Tani clean and lube. Both put out a little over 20# drag and have similar capacity. The addition of the Mak 8 would not expand my capabilities very much....but a Tank sure will.

Rather than buy a new reel, I think I want to roll my own. Thanks to Sal and Rudy for setting the hook. I already put my name in the hat for one of Adam's new titanium handles. Time to order some parts!

Thank you all for the input.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. But, think about why no one makes a reel like a Tank other than the Baja Special which is still considered a niche reel.

SoCalAngler

spc, if I were you I'd make a parts list with prices of everything you want on your tank. This is the only way you can compare the cost of building one to the cost of a new reel.

When you started this thread the reels you were looking at are way smaller than a tank and IMO in a very different class. There are some things you should think about before you either buy new or build your own reel.

Like, how will you mainly use the reel?
Fishing mainly live bait?
Using the reel mostly with jigs or iron?
Is casting distance with either bait or jigs a big concern?
Will you use the reel mainly for trolling and would you like to fish live bait also?
What lb test are you looking to use and how many yards do you need?
Are you going to use braid on your reel? If yes long or short topshots?
Type and size of fish you will mostly use the reel for?

These are just a few things off the top of my head one should think about before buying or building any reel.

In certain applications a single speed star drag will fish better than say the same sized lever drag reel. Other times a lever drag is the way to go. Also many times a two speed reel will offer more flexibility in methods of catching and size of fish targeted, but do you really need one for the type of fishing you will be doing? Until the above questions at least are answered it makes it hard to recommend some reels you should look at and even harder to offer rod suggestions as well.

spc7669

SoCal,

I don't really see a Tank as a cost saving measure, but more of a do it right the first time measure.  People on here have put so much R&D into the reel and it's well documented.

My saltwater trips are limited. My gear has always been pretty limited too. I've done LBSF with the Torium 16 and with Abu Garcia 5500's. Way less than ideal, but any reels I do buy will be pressed into multiple duties until a stable of reels is acquired.

Most commonly, I bottom fish nearshore and inshore, balloon live baits, and freeline live baits targeting tarpon, sharks, and whatever else will bite.
I surf fish with bottom rigs and these reels get pressed into that duty as well. At some point, I want to get dedicated surf reels.
I go offshore about once a year bottom fishing and freelining with grouper, snapper, kings, and AJ's being the targeted species. This is the type of fishing I have the least experience with, but want to do more of in the future.
I have never chunked iron, but would do so if I had a chance.
I use braid on my reels currently. Both have JB Hollow 60 with short topshots of 40# Big Game. Both are on 6 1/2' Fin Nor Stand Up rods and get swapped over to 10' surf rods as well.

The Mak is by no means off the list. I'll pick one up sometime soon just because I like it. Probably one of the new Truth Surf Casting reels as well. The Tank will become my big reel when we are ballooning for sharks near Alligator Point in Florida.

MarkT

Quote from: foakes on July 04, 2016, 07:46:55 PM
We need to pay attention to Okuma --

They are possibly the next Shimano --

They have been steadily growing their quality and reputations by looking at the successes and shortcomings of Shimano, Daiwa, and a few others.

Just look at their product line in person, or online, and crack open a few of their reels.

Listen to a few of the pros on this site -- and we will realize that Okuma has made a commitment to quality and good service.

And they are in this for the long haul.

Good company and excellent products.

And they do know and listen to Alan...

Just my opinions...

Best,

Fred

Check out their new stuff announced at ICAST 2016... new Helios, Metaloid and Makaira spinners, an Android 12n, Komodo 350 and 450 size baitcasters with stainless gears, a Metaloid baitcaster and more.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

spc7669

Mark,

I bought my Solterras to flip until I opened them up. Stainless gears, double dogs, and carbon fiber drag in a reel that can be had for a hundred bucks if you shop around. Okuma is doing all kinds of nice stuff to the guts of their reels. I fished a Komodo on a guide trip for muskies. It was solid as a rock.  They were never on my radar due to their prior reputation for building junk. That's changed.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: spc7669 on July 14, 2016, 05:19:47 PM
SoCal,

I don't really see a Tank as a cost saving measure, but more of a do it right the first time measure.  People on here have put so much R&D into the reel and it's well documented.

My saltwater trips are limited. My gear has always been pretty limited too. I've done LBSF with the Torium 16 and with Abu Garcia 5500's. Way less than ideal, but any reels I do buy will be pressed into multiple duties until a stable of reels is acquired.

Most commonly, I bottom fish nearshore and inshore, balloon live baits, and freeline live baits targeting tarpon, sharks, and whatever else will bite.
I surf fish with bottom rigs and these reels get pressed into that duty as well. At some point, I want to get dedicated surf reels.
I go offshore about once a year bottom fishing and freelining with grouper, snapper, kings, and AJ's being the targeted species. This is the type of fishing I have the least experience with, but want to do more of in the future.
I have never chunked iron, but would do so if I had a chance.
I use braid on my reels currently. Both have JB Hollow 60 with short topshots of 40# Big Game. Both are on 6 1/2' Fin Nor Stand Up rods and get swapped over to 10' surf rods as well.

The Mak is by no means off the list. I'll pick one up sometime soon just because I like it. Probably one of the new Truth Surf Casting reels as well. The Tank will become my big reel when we are ballooning for sharks near Alligator Point in Florida.

Great info here to people looking to make recommendations on a reel.

I would look at a Penn Fathom 25Nld2 very hard. I fish a Fathom 25n star drag for 30 lb test and just love the reel for that test. For 40 lb short toppers I like the two speed levers better for the type of fishing I do, though I fish another reel for this line class that I bought many years ago.

The Fathom 25nld2 will fish 40 lb fine and could even be bumped up to 50 if needed. I purchased one for a friend in Baja and spooled the reel with 300 yards of 60 lb braid which left room for around 30 yards of 40 lb mono on top. This little reel is nice to hold all day, could be used for shore casting and since it is a two speed will cover many fishing applications

Here is a pic of around a 175 lb thresher my buddy caught in Baja with the 25nld2. I was down there a few weeks ago and opened up the reel and it showed no signs of ware and was still fishing great even though he has caught many other fish with it since the thresher. In this pic you can see the 25nld2 on the left next to a 113H to kind of give you a size comparison of this reel and a tank.

If price is not a issue I'd look at the Penn Torque reels way before a Mak 8. Don't get me wrong I love the Okuma's but I feel the robustness/weight of the 8 makes it more of a nitch reel.