Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Word of mouth is great --

Working on a backlog of reel jobs since being gone for 5 weeks --

A new Neighbor comes by this morning --

Conversation goes like this:

"Understand you work on reels"...

..."Yep, done a few"

"My friend sez you have done them for 40 years"...

..."yeah, sounds about right"

"Could you service, restore, and get ready a few for me?"...

..."Sure, what do you have?"

"Oh, I have a few in the truck, if you could take a look at them"...

"And there is no rush on these, they have just been ones that have something wrong -- and I just kept buying new ones -- instead of fixing these"...

..."Um...OK, lets take a look"

I count 37 -- mostly Shimano spinners, Penn spinners and conventionals, Daiwas, old fly reels, a few oddballs.

"No rush, but when can you get them done?"...

..."won't take too long -- what year is this?"

Seriously, they are all decent looking reels -- and I am grateful for the work.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RiverAngler

That should keep you busy for a while. Word of mouth is the best kind of advertising.
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Word of Mouth is the best you could get.
Good for you Fred!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Quote from: RiverAngler on July 01, 2016, 10:06:59 PM
That should keep you busy for a while. Word of mouth is the best kind of advertising.

No big deal --

Already got them separated into types and brands --

When my backlog is completed in a couple of weeks -- I will just shoot through the low hanging fruit -- then come back and do the little harder ones -- then any tough ones.

Tag & Bag all -- then throw them back in the box...

When they are all done -- open up each bag, re-check appearance, operation, bail return, A/R operation, clicker, free spool, etc..

Easier than it looks, actually...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelfish

37 wow, thats a nice number

congrats Fred, 40 years on the reel repair business its another good number

The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

I bet that Bill would pay for a 16/0. ;)
$20 each comes to $740. That should do it.
Life is Good!

Aiala

If your new neighbor knew how superior your work is, he'd gladly wait a year or two.  ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Rancanfish

Fred, let us know when you slow down a bit.  I boxed up the 110n but in no hurry, it can wait since I have too many reels anyway. 
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

Send it on over, Randy --

Along with the green Quick, if you wish.

I will hopefully never slow down -- and will just get it done.

When you have worked on a few thousand of these -- they are not that hard.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

Fred, I also believe people are grateful for your outstanding work! Obviously there's a group of people here that care about what they do and how they're perceived.
Now if we could only get the younger generation to follow suite, but that said there are some good one's in there also!
Regards,  ..  Lou

Rancanfish

I don't know how you do it Fred.  I do a couple reels and say 'that's enough'.

I just spent almost 12 hours in the emergency room with my wife.  Blood pressure at 'dangerous levels' (doctors words).  I've never seen her so sick.  Blinding headache, uncontrollable retching.  She couldn't have a light on in the room. Doctors couldn't get pressure down for 10 hours.  She's exhausted and asleep.  This is a new issue with no answers.  Lots of tests.  

We weren't there 20 minutes and they confirmed my wallet was working properly. So I am going to await the additional charges for CAT scans, blood work and spinal fluid tests.

I won't be needing my reels for a while anyway.  8)
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Aiala

Randy, I hope Sheila feels better very soon.  :-\

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

foakes

Heading down to Church in a little while -- Prayers for your wife will start right now, Randy.

Don't be concerned about any charges on the Quicks, we will just get it done -- and I will probably need something from you someday down the road, anyway.

Take care of the home front --

Stay close.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

RiverAngler

Randy. Many well-wishes for you and your Wife! I know how that is, as it happened to me last year, and the Dr.
s have/had no idea why. I haven't had any issues since, but it scared the stuff out of me. Best wished to her for a speedy recovery!

Ralph
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!