help to chose the correct guide size

Started by steelfish, July 05, 2016, 11:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

as some of you might know, I will be fixing my Trevala, this will be the first time working on rod guides, I dont have a problem fixing rod tip tops for my rods or friend's rods, but I have never gotten the courage to work on the guides.

my trevala have the 1st guide from the tip broken and also the tip.
I made an order to getbit but I made a mistake on the running guide size, too damn small no problem with the tip-top

I ordered a MNAG size 8, because the readings on my caliper on the stock guide  were ID 8.55mm and OD 13mm, but this is what I got

this is comparing against the 2nd guide from the tip

the readings on the MNAG 8 are ID 5.50mm and OD 9.15mm

so, according to my caliper readings from the stock guide, what size should I order to receive the same size as stock?

on the other side, I already have a running guide from a Terez rod, as you know the Terez rods have a tendency to break some inches from the tip, well, I fixed one for a guy and he gave me the guide on the broken section, its same size than the ones on the trevala but not same model, this appears to be model KWAG while the trevala uses MNAG (if Im not mistaken), what do you guys say?
should I install this terez guide on the trevala or better get one of the stock ones?

the one on the middle is the Terez guide

if I put it as the 1st guide it might not look that bad, since the tip its almost always pointing down

not really exited to put the Terez guide on the trevala, tho.

anyway, any help on how to know to order the correct size on rod guides ?
if I make a clean job on the guide I will change all the guides on my favorite musky rod with MNAG guides and I'll put them spiral way.
The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

On the foot of the guide there should be a number indicating the size.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 06, 2016, 12:37:00 AM
On the foot of the guide there should be a number indicating the size.

guides are not sized like the tiptops? by mm or 1/64?

The Baja Guy

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

steelfish

thanks Sid,

this chart made the trick

seems like I needed to order a 12 size Fuji guide instead of #8

-- Alex

The Baja Guy

Cor

You have to measure the outside ring diameter, not inside.

Replacing guides is no big deal, ...some tips:-

When cutting off the old ones, cut the threads on top of the guide foot to avoid damage to the graphite. 

If the binding has some fancy trim on the outer edge, don't cut it off unless you want to change it.  iow leave the 5mm section of the binding on both sides, make sure you remove all loose bits of threads, wrap the guide back on in between the two old bits of trim.   When you apply your finish you will not see the join, maybe two coats.

Wrap all new guides on the rod, don't worry if they are a bit out of alignment, then carefully turn each one to get them perfectly straight.  Do finish then.

I have experimented with guide sizes a lot, it is not critical, despite what some experts say.   Smaller guides make rod a lot lighter....try them, the worst is you may have to do it again....LOL, or stick them on with small strips of duck tape and go try the rod like that.   Having said that, the difference between a 12 and an 8 is significant.

Good luck.
Cornelis

steelfish

Quote from: Cor on July 06, 2016, 06:58:37 AM
You have to measure the outside ring diameter, not inside.

Replacing guides is no big deal, ...some tips:-

When cutting off the old ones, cut the threads on top of the guide foot to avoid damage to the graphite. 

If the binding has some fancy trim on the outer edge, don't cut it off unless you want to change it.  iow leave the 5mm section of the binding on both sides, make sure you remove all loose bits of threads, wrap the guide back on in between the two old bits of trim.   When you apply your finish you will not see the join, maybe two coats.

Wrap all new guides on the rod, don't worry if they are a bit out of alignment, then carefully turn each one to get them perfectly straight.  Do finish then.

I have experimented with guide sizes a lot, it is not critical, despite what some experts say.   Smaller guides make rod a lot lighter....try them, the worst is you may have to do it again....LOL, or stick them on with small strips of duck tape and go try the rod like that.   Having said that, the difference between a 12 and an 8 is significant.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips, Amigo
I will tale Then into consideration when working on the Rod
The Baja Guy

oc1

Yes, its a KWAG from the Terez.  Designed to not tangle in the wind. 

The frame wraps around the edge of the ring so when measuring you sort of have to guess where the ring and frame meet.
-steve

Swami805

Usually the first guides are #8 then 10 12 16 and 20. Heat up the old wraps with a heat gun on low and the finish comes off like butter, You'll be less likely to nick the blank that way. You can try to save the trim bands on the end but it's usually more trouble than it's worth, factory rods have very little trim anyway. If you do save them hit the joint where the old and new wrap meet with a black sharpie between the first and second coat of finish and it will cover the joint.
You might consider replacing them all while you're at it as Murphy's law clearly states that when you replace one another is going to fail soon.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on July 06, 2016, 12:15:48 PM

You might consider replacing them all while you're at it as Murphy's law clearly states that when you replace one another is going to fail soon.

you might be right on this, I got this rod for cheap because it was missing 2 rings on the 1st and 2nd guide and the next 2 guides had the frame cracked, so a total of 4 guides were replaced a year ago, now the tip and the last guide lost a ring,  I will inspect the next 2 guides that are still stock ones, as you just said, those might fail sooner or later too.

The Baja Guy

the rockfish ninja

I've replaced a few guides, it's actually a bit of fun to me, so don't be intimidated. There's a ton of vids on youtube on the subject.
As for finding the right guide, sometimes you can get that info from the manufacturer, if not, most rod building supply companies will help you find it.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

steelfish

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on July 06, 2016, 06:33:08 PM
I've replaced a few guides, it's actually a bit of fun to me, so don't be intimidated. There's a ton of vids on youtube on the subject.

well I just feel the same way few years back when I opened up my first fishing reel to clean it, I was nervious I recall, but now I enjoy open them up specially new models to check how are they on their insides.

I pretty sure working with rods would be almost the same, but not many budget at this moment for the proper tools and threads, guides, etc to build a small decent rod building/repair station

any way, thanks for all your imput

The Baja Guy