Video on using Alan Tani's bearing packer

Started by TheReelShop, July 06, 2016, 06:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReelShop

Hopefully this helps some. I made a quick video on using Alan's bearing packer. Saves a lot of time. Hope this video is of help..

mike1010

Thanks for this.  I see here exactly the problem I have when using this tool:  Grease squeezes out around any bearing that hasn't had its shield or seal removed, and there is no evidence of grease pushed into and through the bearing.  This happens no matter how slowly I pump grease, and is contrary to what others have reported, where new grease is said even to push old grease out of sealed or shielded bearings.

So what are we doing wrong?

Mike

handi2

Mike this is how I do it and it always works.

I surely don't hold it by hand. Make sure it's the right adapter for the right bearing. The bearing will fit tight with no rocking.

Set the male part of the adapter on a flat surface and set the bearing on top. Set the grease gun with the female adapter on top of the bearing and wiggle it a tiny bit to make sure it's seated. Push down hard on the grease gun and slowly apply pressure to the bearing. Take it off and you should see grease coming out around the seals. If not try again.

I use a mix of CorrosionX oil and grease. It flows much better and won't slow down the bearings too much.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mike1010

Thanks, Keith.  I have a "new to me" 146 that I will be opening up shortly, and will give it a try.

Mike