Shimano catala 301

Started by rippin_lips, July 08, 2016, 01:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Hi MarkT,

If Rippin doesn't want it, may I buy it from you?  My kids did not like rock cod fishing with my Abus. They said it was too hard to crank.  Art. Or maybe I need to look into a line guided Squal or Fathom. Hmm.
Thanks , bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

rippin_lips

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 14, 2016, 03:52:51 AM
The line guide looks like the same as a Calcutta?

I tried one from a different reel. The only major difference is the threads on the pawl cap. They could make all the reels with the same line guide if they wanted, but that would make our lives too easy for repairs.

Bryan Young

that's just not right!!!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

rippin_lips

A BIG thanks to MarkT for helping me out with a catala 300 to scavenge parts from. I installed the line guide and took the reel for a test drive and all seemed well. I still would like to clean up the anti-reverse bearing some more. If I soaked the roller clutch assembly, what would be best to soak it in? Lots of reelX? Or would a solvent work? I would like to keep the anti reverse bearing in the assembly, I think the other part is stainless steel, removing it would prove troublesome and may cause damage. Thoughts?

rippin_lips

Upgraded the drag with carbontex. Went into the anti-reverse bearing a little bit with some more reelX and it seems to be working well.

MarkT

I've taken the ARB out to clean it. Wrap a rubber band around it when it's half way out to keep the rollers in place.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

rippin_lips

Do you know if the braking can be adjusted? I'm starting to get the hang of casting but its almost too much casting brake. Thanks.

handi2

I'm sure Dawn at Smooth Drag has the AR bearing for that reel cheaper than the $20.00. The hard part is getting it out without ruining the side plate.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

rippin_lips

Quote from: handi2 on August 08, 2016, 01:11:56 AM
I'm sure Dawn at Smooth Drag has the AR bearing for that reel cheaper than the $20.00. The hard part is getting it out without ruining the side plate.

Which is exactly why I haven't tried to remove it. I'm concerned about ruining the side plate while pounding it out with some corrosion holding it in. I cleaned it up well without removing it and it is performing as it should so far. Still haven't landed a fish on it, the tarpon I have been after are masters of unhooking themselves. I need to use it on some hard fighting redfish or snook to see how it holds up.

MarkT

As I recall you can use a 10mm socket to tap it out.  You want one that is the right size to press on the outer race and push it out.  If I'm wrong, check out some other sockets until you find the right size.  Experiment on the Catala I sent you.  You can probably use it to replace the one in your reel.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

rippin_lips

Quote from: MarkT on August 10, 2016, 02:52:37 PM
As I recall you can use a 10mm socket to tap it out.  You want one that is the right size to press on the outer race and push it out.  If I'm wrong, check out some other sockets until you find the right size.  Experiment on the Catala I sent you.  You can probably use it to replace the one in your reel.

Funny you should say that because I already removed the one from the reel you sent me. It came out but not without some slight deformation of the side plate, which is why I don't want to do it to my 301 unless I really have to.