454-5 converted to 4:1 w/ penn gears.

Started by Yogi_fish808, July 11, 2016, 01:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yogi_fish808

Aloha reel repair family,
Decided to do a little bit of experimenting today with the pr454-5. It's a big reel that will be fished with heavy mono and 5:1 just doesn't seem ideal for trying to turn a big trevally that's fighting for it's life. I had an extra stock steel 4:1 jigmaster gear set and figured since 200-400 series use "jigmaster" size gears, why not try. Put 1 extra keyed washer on top the stack to compensate for height and after testing under load everything seems to be meshing and turning just fine. Freespool is still excellent, no issues with pinion clearance. With bryans 5+1 kit you may more may not need that extra washer. Very happy to have more torque and probably made this reel more capable with the stronger steel gear for winching up a stubborn fish. I'm sure someone else has successfully done this but hopefully it'll help a few people out.

Aloha,
Kyle

Bryan Young

Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on July 11, 2016, 01:47:57 AM
Decided to do a little bit of experimenting today with the pr454-5. It's a big reel that will be fished with heavy mono and 5:1 just doesn't seem ideal for trying to turn a big trevally that's fighting for it's life. I had an extra stock steel 4:1 jigmaster gear set and figured since 200-400 series use "jigmaster" size gears, why not try. Put 1 extra keyed washer on top the stack to compensate for height and after testing under load everything seems to be meshing and turning just fine. Freespool is still excellent, no issues with pinion clearance. With bryans 5+1 kit you may more may not need that extra washer. Very happy to have more torque and probably made this reel more capable with the stronger steel gear for winching up a stubborn fish. I'm sure someone else has successfully done this but hopefully it'll help a few people out.

Aloha,
Kyle

Great find Kyle. Thanks for sharing. BTW, the 4:1 brass gears are pretty strong. Not sure when they would shred but will hold at lease 18# of drag without a problem.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Black Pearl's 3.6 gear sets are a great winching option that I like on my 300s and 400s.

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 11, 2016, 04:54:24 PM
Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on July 11, 2016, 01:47:57 AM

Aloha,
Kyle

Great find Kyle. Thanks for sharing. BTW, the 4:1 brass gears are pretty strong. Not sure when they would shred but will hold at lease 18# of drag without a problem.

Oh haha thats right, it was the brass jigmaster sleeve that I was thinking of. Brass gears might be smoother too. I'm going to temporarily hi-jack one of your 5+1 kits from one of my other reels for it, but will probably order another soon. Hopefully I can take this one out on a slidebait mission this week, the summer ulua season seems to be heating up! Oddly the big oios have been steadily coming up for me too. Shakas braddah Bryan

Newell Nut, I bet his 3.6:1 set is great. I just wanted to test out an idea and was really happy that for once playing mad scientist worked out, without any swearing/yelling at all...other than when an e-clip decided to fly off into the abyss due to clumsy fingers. $10 for the steel 4:1 jig gears sure seems like a sweet bargain tho, considering what oem newell 4:1's cost.