Andros A series Drag CAM info

Started by JGB, July 16, 2016, 09:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGB

The new Andros A series reels now use a profiled 3 step ramp CAM. The CAM is ground such that the initial ramp is fairly steep to allow the DFD drag system to compress the 'coil' 'small drag' spring quickly and engage the DFD drag system ( this is the dual disk drag similar to the Makaira drag). The second ramp ( used all the way to the strike position) is less steep to give you some usable drag range control. The third ramp is from strike to full and is very shallow ( almost flat) but will allow full drag only if the strike drag is set to the maximum spec. This is done to help protect the left spool bearing from excessive drag pressure from damaging it.

FYI the 'small drag' is a small CF drag disk that is between the spool and the back side of the DFD drag assembly. It is used to  supply low drag (just above freespool) and to allow the spool to directly apply pressure to the back side of the DFD drag. This replaces the Makaira thrust bearing function.

Important !!! Be very careful to NEVER allow the drag to bet set above the Max drag rating!! Doing so will almost always cause left side spool bearing rumble and that bearing is a pain to replace.

Hope this helps explain things,
Jim N.

shanara

I notice that Okuma say that the 12 size Single speed andros (and the makaira 8,10,15) make the same 24lbs at strike and 34 at full as the Andros 2 speeds do they all have the same drag profile ?
The catalogue says that the TDC drag cams are the same

For your info the drag cams of the Makaira SEa 16, 20/30, and 50 are all interchangeable - (I like the 20/30 drag profile in my 50's)

Regards Gary

JGB

The short answer is no the drag profiles are much different between the Makaira and  any Andros reel.
the Makaira's all have a a refined drag curve that gives full drag control over the entire drag range. The Andros reels tend to ramp quickly from 0 drag to 3 # of drag. If you fish Makairas you will definitely feel the difference.
The single speed Andros reels are all single drag reels while the 2 speeds sport the DFD dual drag.
Jim N.

shanara

Would you know if the Makaira (8,10,15) drag cam would work with an andros 12 single speed - I am considering replacing the TDC cam in my andros 12s se

Regards

JGB

Sorry to say - The Makaira drag cams are compatible with the Andros  DFD design.
Jim N.

shanara

I realy wanted to know if the makaira 8,10,15 drag cams would fit in the single speed single drag andros 12

(compatable means would work with  ::))

Regards Gary