Main Menu

Jaws

Started by swill88, July 18, 2016, 03:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Yes Aiala,
That is the 16/0. The 118 Senator. The biggest reel that Penn ever made. Its alive and well, just no longer manufactured.
Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. :o
I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.
Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore shall we see you again.

I love me some Jaws.. Come at Me!
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Daron, one time when I was watching that movie, I decided to strap on my vintage vest and a similar rod and reel. My wife looked at me and said oh boy, daddy lost it kids ;D.
They did love it when my clicker was going off at the same time as Quint...good sound effects ;D
I had a pic, but can't find it. that might be a good thing :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastal_dan

Sal - That visual just made my morning! I asked for this on Blu-ray for my birthday...hopefully the birthday fairy provides  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Lunker Larry

I was posted to a station we had on the Queen Charlotte Islands (you can see the Aleutians on a clear day) Went fishing the morning after watching Jaws in the mess the night before. That movie made for a lot of jittery fishermen.  A pod of killer whales surfaced right beside our boat and scared the begeezus out of us.
How many times have you heard the line "We're going to need a bigger boat"? Classic
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Shark Hunter

That is some funny stuff Sal. Daddy lost his kids. lol :D
Life is Good!

Steve-O

My brother was a certified PADI and NAUI scuba diver back in the day and when we moved from LA - Lower Alabama  :D and the Gulf Coast area back to NC he went diving off the beach near Morehead City looking for sand dollars and conch shells about 500 yards out.

While poking around on the bottom in 20-30 feet he had a VERY large shadow pass over him in a lazy S pattern which lasted much longer than he was comfortable with. He blew a blast of air - from his regulator - then calmed down, surfaced and finned on his back to shore.

Walked into a dive shop and sold his gear on the spot.  This was probably 1976 or 77.

Ba-dump...ba-dump...ba-dump...ba-dump.....dun, dun....dun, dun....da-dun....da-dun....you know the tune. ;D

The shark was most likely a big Tiger or Sand Tiger - both cruise those waters as do the White Pointers.

Todd Jacobsen

Steve- I have a similar story to that of your brothers. I was in Monterey on my 3rd dive class. We just all finished watching jaws the night before. I and my partner were at the bottom waiting for the others of the class. We were all at the bottom and getting ready to start our free ascent when something went between my partner and I and a few others after we got to the surface. All I could think of was that Jaws music. Turned out to be otters . Laugh now but not then.

handi2

Sal we gotta see that picture..!!

I did a lot of spearfishing in the late 70's and 80's out of Pensacola and Alabama. We used military grade 45 ACP cartridges in our custom built power heads for any larger fish because they were already waterproof. All you would hear was a thump when the fish were hit. Big Amberjack and Grouper.

Never saw a shark over 6' long but they were pesky as h$$l. A few times we had to either fight the Sharks or let go of the fish. After one time for me I started using a separate stringer and would pull the fish up after I got onboard.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

For me, I will just stick with "A River Runs Through It"...

How many of you have really listened to the words in the last 2 minutes of this movie?

And have you noticed how a lifetime of experience allows even an elderly fisherman to change out a fly, while on the water -- expertly -- with shaking hands?...

This isn't really a flick about fishing -- it is about life -- but the outdoor scenes, along with the gear and techniques used, are accurate to the time.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sdlehr

Quote from: foakes on July 20, 2016, 08:12:02 PM
For me, I will just stick with "A River Runs Through It"...

How many of you have really listened to the words in the last 2 minutes of this movie?

And have you noticed how a lifetime of experience allows even an elderly fisherman to change out a fly, while on the water -- expertly -- with shaking hands?...

This isn't really a flick about fishing -- it is about life -- but the outdoor scenes, along with the gear and techniques used, are accurate to the time.

Best,

Fred
Fred, that movie, and "Legends of the Fall" are probably my two favorite Brad Pitt movies. Time to watch them both again.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Big Tim

Sal I would love to see that photo  ;D ;D ;D for me as a lad in the  70's I would snorkel dive for abalone and fish near La Jolla with my grandpa and uncle Ed. I saw what was most likely a sand shark after seeing Jaws and would never jump in the water there again  ;D ;D ;D but at least I'm here to laugh about it.

BT

Alto Mare

I had a good feeling you guys wouldn't let it go ::), I guess I need to dig it up, but not promising anything. :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

I have a scar over my heart from Geraldine Galante and I never met Mary Ellen Moffit.   ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ez2cdave

Quote from: thorhammer on July 18, 2016, 03:24:06 PM16/0 and a Fenwick 130 class Fenglass, I believe.

You hit the nail right on the head . . .

http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?t=16333

The 4-footed Mildrum roller guides on the rod and the Brown color of the blank is a dead giveaway for Fenwick of the early to mid - 1970's. In this video, you can see the Fenwick logo just above the foregrip of the rod. The Fenwick "Big Game" rod is either a 130# or Unlimited model, I thnk.

foakes

Quote from: thorhammer on July 19, 2016, 12:59:46 AM
If you don't get stirred up when that 118 clicker trips and old George straps up in the chair, go on and find yourself another board to hang out on......

Sometimes, at outdoor shows, when running a booth -- and people are not stopping by like I wish -- they are just strolling by because there is so much to look at all of the tables --

...I have been known to set up a large rod and a large Senator reel to a special spring bracket  -- along with a heavy duty line winder machine.

I set the drag so that it will put a serious arc in the rod as the tip and backbone bounces South aggresively -- then the clicker is set to audible.

I just sit close by and operate the foot pedal...

The combination of HD clicker & rod arcing down to "fish-on" in their peripheral vision -- never fails to raise the interest and activity -- immediately and instantly.

The Primal senses of a fisherman are stirred every time --

A group of "looky-loos" can be turned back at up to 20 yards past the booth --

Sort of like calling in a flock of high flying ducks with a well placed set of feeding and quacking calls.

When it is slow -- you might as well have a little fun!

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.