Model K with Star

Started by Penn Chronology, July 21, 2016, 12:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Finally got one.

It was an adventure and I had to spend some money; but, this one is mine......................................... :D

It was a rough start when I got it. Needed parts and TLC; but, it was a true Model K...

The Circle K brand was on the insides of each side plate.

The handle shaft collar was intact. That was a big part of why I wanted this particular reel. So many of these collars chip or are totally broken up.

All in all, it took a couple of months to get all parts for my basket case Model K; but, it is now running as it should and looks like an old, patina ridden piece should look.

I am happy.................. ;D

mo65

Great find! It has genuine character.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteGreat find! It has genuine character.

Thanks, I like that, ""Genuine Character"".

Alto Mare

Mike, I feel your excitement :). It couldn't have happened to a more deserving person.
I'm very happy for you, enjoy it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Nice work.

I have seen several of these first year models listed of late, I was hoping you might work out a deal on one or more.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sdlehr

Very nice, Mike. I'm jealous, but there is probably no one in the world more deserving of this than you.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

George4741

Quote from: Penn Chronology on July 21, 2016, 12:18:02 AM

....it is now running as it should and looks like an old, patina ridden piece should look.

I am happy.................. ;D

Very nice Model K.  Are all Model K and 1933 Long Beach's this same color?

Two years ago I would have wanted to replace all of the pitted parts with shiny new chrome stuff.  Mike has since taught me the value of leaving these old reels as original as possible.  Now some of my most prized reels are my vintage Long Beaches and Beachmasters, pitted, patina, and all.  They also remind me of me; gray, grizzled and a little rough around the edges, but still fully serviceable. ;) 

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteAre all Model K and 1933 Long Beach's this same color?

Here is that old dangerous question..... You know what I mean, it is the questions that asks for an answer that contains the word """ALL""". I would say the answer here is yes with reservations. Most 1932 & 33 reels are brown.
           One exception I can note is the 1933 Baker Beach Number 2 Trade reel. This reel is a 1933 Long Beach wearing a Baker Beach #2 logo and having Black Side plates. It is weird; but, it is what it is. A 1933 Long Beach reel, made by Penn in black. Being that the Baker Beach #2 exists in black, that opens the possibility that another black side plated 1933 reel could surface, one never knows for sure.

QuoteNow some of my most prized reels are my vintage Long Beaches and Beachmasters, pitted, patina, and all.  They also remind me of me; gray, grizzled and a little rough around the edges, but still fully serviceable. Wink 

George, very glad to know you are fully serviceable. I am also serviceable; but, my serviceability is like 1932 & 33 reels, it has reservations............<:O)

coastal_dan

Too cool Mike, thanks for sharing this adventure with us.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

George4741

Quote from: Penn Chronology on July 21, 2016, 12:18:02 AM

The Circle K brand was on the insides of each side plate.

What is the significance of the circle K?
viurem lliures o morirem

sdlehr

Quote from: George4741 on August 21, 2016, 10:29:33 AM
I see we haven't completed the required reading assignment? :) Mike C covers this in his book. It's the logo of Kuhn & Jacob, the company that produced the first Penn bakelite side plates before Penn geared up to make their own, probably in year two of the company's life.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Maxed Out

Well, I'd say it's about time, but you beat me to it....congrats Mike !!

If you look reeeel close you can see that is not a "circle K"......it is actually a J & K together which makes much more sense.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

George4741

Quote from: sdlehr on August 21, 2016, 03:06:19 PM
Quote from: George4741 on August 21, 2016, 10:29:33 AM
I see we haven't completed the required reading assignment? :) Mike C covers this in his book.

Sid

Guilty!  In my defense, I haven't bought Mike's book because I know I will see all of those wonderful reels and want to buy more. ;D  I see that'll have to change.

I was going to say the JK symbol isn't on my King-Fisher.  It's a good thing I just disassembled it to confirm that it is there, too.  I would've had to print a retraction. :o

Thank you for the info, Sid and Ted. 
Regards,
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteIf you look reeeel close you can see that is not a "circle K"......it is actually a J & K together which makes much more sense.

Here you go Ted, bustin my bubble!!! I have been calling it a Circle K for many years and now you have let the cat out of the bag. It is a JK and that does make more sense. I nominate Ted as the new """"Voice of Reason""" of this website............................... ;D ;D ;D