Rod Building Books.

Started by 49Freak, July 27, 2016, 03:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

49Freak

I'll be asking questions left and right of the members here, but thought I'd ask for any book recommendations on the subject also. I searched and saw a nod to Advanced Custom Rod Building by Dale Clemens but the advanced part might omit me. Also saw the Rod-Building Guide by Tom Kirkman which looked interesting. Probably not going into production, more for repairing a tired old bird I just bought. Think they're worth it or is everyone here willing to suffer my questions and yes, there'll be some dumb ones.  :-[

RiverAngler

All of the Dale Clemens books start out with the very basic ideas and terminology of the subject matter. I learned a lot that I didn't know about the theories of rod building.

Ralph
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

Jon Vadney

Stick with the dale clemens books.  Some of the theories are outdated and aren't used too often anymore but a lot of stuff still applies.  The "Advanced custom rod building" book is totally beginner friendly, don't let the title fool you.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Jon Vadney on July 27, 2016, 03:52:19 AM
Stick with the dale clemens books.  Some of the theories are outdated and aren't used too often anymore but a lot of stuff still applies.  The "Advanced custom rod building" book is totally beginner friendly, don't let the title fool you.

I agree.

Honestly, I was a bit confused by the formulas for completing specific decretive wraps, but just like he says as soon as you try one or two.. they make perfect sense.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

I started with Dale P. Clemens' books. They are great for general Rod building. If you are going acid wrap, Jon is your best bet. He'll be my go to guy once I start wrapping again.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

49Freak

Okay, thanks everyone. Mr. Clemens it is!

sdlehr

Quote from: 49Freak on July 27, 2016, 06:24:07 PM
Okay, thanks everyone. Mr. Clemens it is!
49F, with YouTube available nowadays you can learn as much practical stuff from a video in 15 minutes as you can reading for an hour. If you want to get up and running fast do the video route, back up the practical stuff with theory from the books. Just my advice.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

cbar45

I would say it depends upon one's learning style, but Sid is right that there are more options available these days.

Nice thing about Clemen's books is that the information and techniques--though somewhat dated--were vetted by others before being published.

The same could be said for most of the DVD's available for purchase from the various rodbuilding vendors; some even offer hands-on instruction in a classroom setting.

I've seen some very talented builders such as Doc Ski post tutorials on Youtube; but there are others whose videos made me cringe.

Cookie-cutter guide layout using factory positions vs. doing an actual static test for example.

Even so, a working understanding of the basics helps sift through the chaff. Find the method of learning that clicks for you and stick with it..:)

49Freak

Good points and I use both, but I'm a bit of a book junkie so I'll probably dig up one or two just for reference. My wife and son are both more i-pad/smart phone types where I'll be propping open a book in the shop to get the info. Both good though.