Somebody Stop Me, Please.

Started by 49Freak, July 25, 2016, 03:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

49Freak

For some odd reason I feel the need to offer $50.00 for this rod and try cleaning it up to use. I've never done a rod repair in my life, but my working career has been Navy diesel mechanic, machinist, and industrial maintenance mechanic so I'm tempted. I'll gladly listen to any level headed recommendations as to giving it a shot or  passing and saving my money. The thing just looks like it's in need of salvation though and I'm a sucker for underdogs.  :-\

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-vintage-trolling-rod-custom-wound-aftco-varmac-/112047532570?hash=item1a168daa1a:g:QjQAAOSweWVXerLx

sdlehr

I don't know what kind of blank that is, but it's quite salvageable. I've built more than a few rods myself. You're in the right place to get information. There are lots of YouTube videos that can show you the technique. Buy it and send it to me; it looks like a fun project. If I wasn't up to my ears in projects I'd take it on myself. If I set my mind to it I could probably get it into tip-top shape in two days, and a lot of that time would be waiting for epoxy to dry. I'm not exactly stopping you, am I? Glad to help if you need advice.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

whalebreath

Since you work with your hands it'll be quite straightforward not sure if that blank is worth $50 though.

cbar45

Quote from: 49Freak on July 25, 2016, 03:13:56 AM
For some odd reason I feel the need to offer $50.00 for this rod and try cleaning it up to use. I've never done a rod repair in my life, but my working career has been Navy diesel mechanic, machinist, and industrial maintenance mechanic so I'm tempted. I'll gladly listen to any level headed recommendations as to giving it a shot or  passing and saving my money. The thing just looks like it's in need of salvation though and I'm a sucker for underdogs.  :-\

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-vintage-trolling-rod-custom-wound-aftco-varmac-/112047532570?hash=item1a168daa1a:g:QjQAAOSweWVXerLx

Hello,

That rod does look salvageable, but you might want to verify that the top section is still able to be removed from the butt. Those two-piece Varmac seats were notorious for corroding in place, making a full-on resto quite the chore--even for a professional.

Rather than spend $50 on an eBay rod, have you considered checking out your local Goodwill, pawn shops, and thrift-type stores? Often they will have a "bargain bin" full of old fishing rods in need of repair; rods that can be had for not much coin. These would make great projects for someone just starting out. Just my 2 pennies.

chad

Keta

Former millwright/powerhouse mechanic here, go for it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

day0ne

I wouldn't spend $25 on that rod. Salvageable but way over priced. I usually find those for free or a little more. I have rebuilt some like that but never paid anything like that much.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Cor

Quote from: day0ne on July 25, 2016, 06:00:40 AM
I wouldn't spend $25 on that rod. Salvageable but way over priced. I usually find those for free or a little more. I have rebuilt some like that but never paid anything like that much.
Agree with this one.   If you actually want to use it you may find it's a lot of work to produce something that maybe has sentimental value but not very effective fishing tool.
I have at least two old rods you may have for free, just come fetch them ;D ;D ;D  (I may want to keep the guides)
Cornelis

oc1

I've seen that blank but can't place it.  The color is a little too light for a Roddy.  Guides will clean up and work fine.  You can probably buy parts for those but I doubt you need them.  The reel seat ferrule may be frozen, but that may no matter either.  Don't let penetrating oil get into the wood and stain it.  The fore grip doesn't look like cork or foam and could be problematic.  Maybe it's phenolic resin?  My guess is 70's but not 60's.  The price is trivial compared to the time you will invest in it.
-steve

cbar45

The fore-grip looks like that early synthetic called Neo-Cork.

Tough stuff. Cleaning with mild soap (Dawn), followed by a light sanding will get them looking new.

thorhammer

Even if you get it for $50; he has $23 shipping on it; not worth more than $25 with the guides greened up. I do a lot of reclamations / resto's from yard sales / pawn shops and to reiterate above, the time you will have in it may not justify the final product even if free. Though you can do a full strip and get blank and butt looking pretty good, you will spend hours cleaning those guides and they will still not be up to snuff on your otherwise nice work. A replacement set of Aftco's will run you about $75, so you'd be in $150 on this rod plus shop materials.

That said, THIS WHOLE SITE WILL DUMP $200 IN A $40 JIGMASTER SO HAVE IT AND LET"S SEE BEFORE AND AFTER!!!!!!!! :)

John

49Freak

Wow! A lot of good advice here and a couple good chuckles. I have checked Goodwill and a few others from time to time, but just haven't found anything, bad timing maybe. Anyway, I'm not flush with money and it may not be worth the shipping even if it was free, but I offered my $50.00 so we'll see what happens. Unfortunately I've spent a whole lot more on dumber things so this is pretty mild.  :-[ Thank you to everyone for your advice! Not giving up on the thrift stores.

thorhammer

Dude, its feast or famine. I have a few pawns I keep an eye on; maybe nothing for months then there is a barrel of rods needing just a tip replaced for a $1 apiece....Penn Slammers and others....good luck, and keep us in the loop....frequently people have a spare "whatever" laying around they will send you.

Thorhammer

otownjoe

Keta

After looking at the rod I will have to agree that THIS rod is not worth the $.  I picked up 2 matching IGFA 12# roller rods for the detachable butts (pre Uni Butt but similar) for less than $50.00 but they are too nice to take apart.

Keep looking for a better deal.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mo65

Quote from: thorhammer on July 25, 2016, 10:46:03 AM
He has $23 shipping on it. THIS WHOLE SITE WILL DUMP $200 IN A $40 JIGMASTER SO HAVE IT AND LET"S SEE BEFORE AND AFTER!!!!!!!! :)

It shows $17 shipping to my zip code...but $50 is still a big price for that rod. I love thorhammer's quote about the $40 Jigmaster...HA!! :D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~