Somebody Stop Me, Please.

Started by 49Freak, July 25, 2016, 03:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbar45

Quote from: 49Freak on July 25, 2016, 01:35:43 PM
Thank you to everyone for your advice! Not giving up on the thrift stores.

Where I live, the county recycling centers are located in the same vicinity as our transfer stations. At some of these centers, there is a receiving area where people can drop off unwanted (household) items that are in otherwise good condition and/or need only minor repair. I've restored a few rods that were sourced from here. Perhaps your area has something similar--just a thought.

chad

49Freak

Well the god that oversees fools and their money must have been on coffee break since the seller accepted my offer so I ponied up my $73.00. Since most of the comments seemed to point toward passing on this one I'd begun to hope they'd decline my offer, but oh well, it's mine now. Guess I'd better go find that $40.00 Jigmaster that Thorhammer mentioned to dump $200.00 into so I'll have a match.  ;D Thanks again though to all who commented. This will be interesting.

thorhammer

This looks like a total resto. keep us in pics; Chad I know, myself and others have all done this and someone can probably answer about any question you may have. Again I think your decision is what to do about the guides, which may be determined by the value of the reel and your intended application. If it were me I'd probably redo butt and blank, and rewrap with straight Perfection or ring guides and tip to stay period correct, or possibly new roller stripper and tip with rings in between. with full roller replacement you'll be in north of $160 I think...

oc1

Those Aftco rollers are very hard material and are probably going to be OK.  There could be some pitting on frames but they will be serviceable.
-steve

steelfish

Quote from: 49Freak on July 26, 2016, 07:03:10 PM
Well the god that oversees fools and their money must have been on coffee break since the seller accepted my offer so I ponied up my $73.00. Since most of the comments seemed to point toward passing on this one I'd begun to hope they'd decline my offer, but oh well, it's mine now. Guess I'd better go find that $40.00 Jigmaster that Thorhammer mentioned to dump $200.00 into so I'll have a match.  ;D Thanks again though to all who commented. This will be interesting.

being there a lot LOL

dont feel bad my friend, I felt the same way when I bidded for a bad shape 113h with Tiburon frame, I put my max bid and totally forgot about it until I won, daaaang, and I was thinking to cancel my bid but never did it,  when I got the reel in my hands the frame was worst than in the pics  :'( :'(

but with a lot of help from theses awesome guys (yep, you guys) I worked a bit on the frame and now Iam a happy camper
really happy on how the frame ended once rapaired and painted (thanks again Thorhammer), so, now just keep going, even if you dont fish that rod that much once repaired you will feel proud of your work

check my last project that I even though on left it on the basement to finish rotten out.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18124.0

Quote from: thorhammer on July 25, 2016, 10:46:03 AM
THIS WHOLE SITE WILL DUMP $200 IN A $40 JIGMASTER SO HAVE IT AND LET"S SEE BEFORE AND AFTER!!!!!!!! :)
John

JOhn, nothing compared to how much money you can put on a $60.00 Used 113H (USA made)

The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Quote from: steelfish on July 26, 2016, 08:04:56 PM
Quote from: 49Freak on July 26, 2016, 07:03:10 PM

being there a lot LOL

dont feel bad my friend, I felt the same way when I bidded for a bad shape 113h with Tiburon frame, I put my max bid and totally forgot about it until I won, daaaang, and I was thinking to cancel my bid but never did it,  when I got the reel in my hands the frame was worst than in the pics  :'( :'(

Tru dat Alex, tru dat....
but with a lot of help from theses awesome guys (yep, you guys) I worked a bit on the frame and now Iam a happy camper
really happy on how the frame ended once rapaired and painted (thanks again Thorhammer), so, now just keep going, even if you dont fish that rod that much once repaired you will feel proud of your work

check my last project that I even though on left it on the basement to finish rotten out.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18124.0

Quote from: thorhammer on July 25, 2016, 10:46:03 AM
THIS WHOLE SITE WILL DUMP $200 IN A $40 JIGMASTER SO HAVE IT AND LET"S SEE BEFORE AND AFTER!!!!!!!! :)
John

JOhn, nothing compared to how much money you can put on a $60.00 Used 113H (USA made)

49Freak

Thanks to all for the positive comments! I'll have plenty of time as this is one of those "no deadline" type projects thankfully. My preference is to stay with as much of the original and "period correct" as possible, but how well it cleans up will be a variable there. At 61 I have a thing for a lot of made in the 60s and 70s stuff. Use will most likely be pier (I know, I know, not a pier rod) or small boat in Puget Sound. And I'll definitely post pics and have questions as I go.

Thanks again,
              John

Alto Mare

Somebody Stop Me, Please.

Stop!!! ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

49Freak

Alto Mare

oops, I thought you were still deciding. Now, forget about what you've spent and make that baby your special rod. Show us some pics along the way. Good luck with the project!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

49Freak

Thanks Alto Mare, and yes, I'm committed, or maybe should be committed to an institution.  ;D I don't think I would have attempted anything of this nature if I hadn't found this site and seen the excellent restorations of reels and rods along with all the sage advice though. Hopefully I won't bugger it up too badly.  :o

Alto Mare

You will do just fine. I tend to restore some things here and there as well, it is always well worth it to me.
Make it enjoyable.

Sal