What electronics are you running?

Started by David Hall, July 27, 2016, 04:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Update...

I didn't like the antiquated Furuno plotter I had, so I pulled it and replaced with a Garmin 546S, paired with a 500watt duel frequency transducer.  I downloaded the 3D bath. Charts.  I also bought a West Marine VHF, registered the DSC, and linked it to the plotter.  Running duel transducers now. 

As a side note... I rewired the entire boat this weekend.  I have a 3 bank battery system with a 20Amp monitor/charger connected to shore power. 

Spent an additional $250.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

David Hall

Good features, you seem to accomplish about five times as much as me in the same time span!  You going to be in the Bay Area anytime soon?  I could put you to work helping me.  my new display updates my charts with real time bath readings and stores them on a chip fo I can upload them at my leisure to Navionics website for them to update their master charts with.  This is all theory at this time because I haven't made it out of my slip in three months so it hasn't been road tested.  This of course does little to improve my fishing!  But once I get my radar up and operating and get some blood on the decks My next spring upgrade will be a second transducer and possibly a third, I'm going to get the chirp down vision and possibly side scan as well.  Having all these great toys will keep my ADD in check while I'm waiting for a bite.  The kids will love it too.

MarkT

$250 is getting away cheap! BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Dominick

Quote from: David Hall on September 06, 2016, 07:11:53 PM
  I'd be frustrated but it has been fun working on the boat and I know that I will get this sorted out eventually.
David that is one great attitude.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Quote from: David Hall on September 06, 2016, 09:00:57 PM
Good features, you seem to accomplish about five times as much as me in the same time span!  You going to be in the Bay Area anytime soon?  I could put you to work helping me.  my new display updates my charts with real time bath readings and stores them on a chip fo I can upload them at my leisure to Navionics website for them to update their master charts with.  This is all theory at this time because I haven't made it out of my slip in three months so it hasn't been road tested.  This of course does little to improve my fishing!  But once I get my radar up and operating and get some blood on the decks My next spring upgrade will be a second transducer and possibly a third, I'm going to get the chirp down vision and possibly side scan as well.  Having all these great toys will keep my ADD in check while I'm waiting for a bite.  The kids will love it too.

I will not be in the bay area anytime in the foreseeable future, and don't anticipate much free time in my future with all the boat projects.  In either case, it sounds like you have got things well in hand.  I decided to go the cheap electronics route at this time namely because of a limited budget, and other areas that are in need of attention.

Sounds like you have got a sweet setup going on there.  z 3D bath.charts that you make yourself are great.  I did a research project where I used a furuno 1kw transducer and software to map severel largely uncharted remote banks.  The results astounded me, and the long time commercial fisherman of these banks.  Cool stuff.  Maybe someday I CNN get some really cool gadgets to play with.  For now, I am still king with bare-basic tools to get me going.

John P
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Lunker Larry

Pretty simple for me. Just bought a Humminbird Helix 9 with down scan and side imaging. Screan is Hd and clear as a bell. Can even see it with sun glasses on. Sure don't envy you guys with the install problems. Always a nightmare.
My on board battery charger just died and took 3 batteries with it. I'm not impressed.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

David Hall

Installing them is straightforward integrating the various aged components is the biggest issue.  Some times they play nice together sometimes they don't.  But persistence and good support has always worked for me and I'm hopeful it will again.  I just hate waiting it will be 10-15 days before I get my radar core back.  Guess I have no choice except to install the new patio doors the wife has been after, unless anyone can give me a good reason to postpone that project another year?

Rancanfish

If I can't hook up two wires on each end and it works, I'm done. 

I really dislike working on boats.  I have hardly any access so that's probably a factor in my reluctance.

Keep at it David.  You'll be ready next time the bft make a surprise visit to Monterey.  And since you have all the gadgets on board I'll just follow you!

;)
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

David Hall

I'll be broadcasting AIS so I will be easy to find!
Went down today and finalized and cleaned up all the wiring to make it nice and pretty and keep it from flopping around under the helm.  I also wired my VHF NMEA 0183 to my mfd for DSC and AIS.  I got lucky in that the previous owner neve registered or entered an MMSI # into the VHF so I was able to program my number right in on the first try.  Powered everything back up.  Replaced the gas springs on my overhead electronics door, and port and starboard fish boxes, cleaned the pipes on my macerator and got it to run the fish boxes empty, pressure washed the topside and 4" below the waterline.  Pulled the lamps on all my lighting so I can upgrade the bulbs to LED.  Came home and ordered the new bulbs, new courtesy lights and a new pair of high intensity LED overhead deck lights, and the last three gas springs for my transom storage and bait box.
This winter I need to re upholster all my knee boards and helm seating.  Then there's below decks, ugh!
The head needs work, the faucets are oxidized so bad they need to be replaced, flush my freshwater system and test my water heater, then she will be ready for the wife to come aboard!  I want to cruise the Sacramento River this fall with her. 

David Hall

Well my radar was delivered yesterday from Mr. Fred Fritz shop in Petaluma to my door.
It has spent the past three weeks in New Hampshire in some back room at Raymarine USA.   I installed it, hit the radar button, up it came, warmed up, hit the tx button and away it went working like a jeweled clock.  I have harbor mode, bouy mode, offshore mode, bird mode, all with the touch of a finger. No more adjusting gain up and down, no noise adjustment, it's all automatic and in super HD.  Just have to get used to all the functions which can be displayed. 
After we replaced all the stock white courtesy lights with new LED blue courtesy lights.  I replaced my 150w halogen deck lights with 1600 lumen LED deck lights.  Replaced all the incandescent cabin lighting bulbs with LED lamps.  Cleaned the sea strainers on my live well pump and saltwater wash down pump.  Just need to clean up the tangled up mass of new cables in the electronics box.  Replace a couple stainless hose clamps and install a new salt water wash down hose and spray nozzle. 
She's shaping up, When I get my old worn out upholstery re done, shes gonna look brand new.