Old but great Fin-nors

Started by pennraiba, July 30, 2016, 01:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pennraiba

Hi there,

I'm  Penn dealer and servicer in Brazil, and sometimes my customers bring to me some different reels. I have this time these two old Fin nors, the biggest is really big (like a Penn 80W) and with 2-speed, and the smallers is one speed and its size is like a Penn 16VS.

I'm looking their diagrams to make a great job on them, anyone has it, or know where can I find it, please?

Thanks a lot!!

Felipe Naous - Penn Raiba Carretilhas

foakes

Hi Felipe, and Welcome --

This might be one --

http://www.pursuetheoutdoors.com/fishing/reel-schematics/Fin-Nor/Trolling%20Reels/sa80w%20schematic.pdf

And there are around 15 others here in the offshore trolling reel section.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

pennraiba

Thanks my friend,

This one seems to be much newer, mine has a very different two-spped system; necessary take the the handle gear from one hole to put in another, two main gars, never seem it before!!

Regards!!

Felipe

Robert Janssen

Oh, sorry... I haven't seen this post earlier.

Pennraiba, you have the Fin-Nor 90FNA and the smaller one maybe a 40FNA. I have the schematic somewhere; just wait...

Robert Janssen

Sorry, site wouldn't let me load pics. Been trying for like half an hour; i quit.

Here, by the way is a link to some work i did on one some years ago; it might have some info for you.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-charters-forum/157925-fin-nor-reels-12-0-9-0-6-0-4-0-21-2a.html

and the schematics... your little one is a 25FNA

there... fooled it i think

Rothmar2

Just read that Hull truth thread Robert, incredible work with re-designing the cam on that classic reel. I wish I had the equipment and skill set to be able to produce that standard of work. Would love to have the opportunity to see your workshop over a beer or two. Sadly it will probably never happen....

Robert Janssen

Absolutely, Rothmar! In fact, there are a couple of beers here right now. If you don't come, I'll have to drink 'em both myself.

The shop isn't what it used to be though... I have downsized a bit.

I have seen some of the work you have shown here, and I am very impressed. You are tremendously skilled. Not by the use of a super-duper machining center to make something perfect, but by the lack of it. You do not have a super-duper machine shop, and do something almost perfect anyway, by way of will, talent and fortitude. Now, that is worth something.

(btw, I have never quite gotten a grip on where you live... you are at sea a lot..?)

pennraiba

You guys are amazing, and you job on these reels is simply UNBELIEVABLE!!

Thanks a lot, I think it will solve my problem.

Sorry for my late answer, thanks again and regards!!!

Felipe - Penn Raiba Carretilhas

pennraiba

Quote from: Robert Janssen on August 18, 2016, 03:32:57 PM
Oh, sorry... I haven't seen this post earlier.

Pennraiba, you have the Fin-Nor 90FNA and the smaller one maybe a 40FNA. I have the schematic somewhere; just wait...

Hi Robert, thanks a lot. I´ll post the pics of the 90FNA tomorrow, it is GREAT! But I feel its drag not so good, these cork drags are really good??

Also, do you know when Fin-nor made his first lever drag reel, or where can I find this information? I´d like to know who made the first lever drag; Penn, Fin-nor, or still another brand?

Thanks again!

Felipe - Penn Raiba Carretilhas

Bryan Young

Quote from: Robert Janssen on August 18, 2016, 05:53:19 PMhttp://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-charters-forum/157925-fin-nor-reels-12-0-9-0-6-0-4-0-21-2a.html

Hi Doc,

Do you use high temp epoxy to laminate the carbon fiber drag washers together?  Would you mind going into this a little further as I am always finding a need to increase the washer height on some reels.

Thank you.
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Robert Janssen

Hi Robert, thanks a lot. I´ll post the pics of the 90FNA tomorrow, it is GREAT! But I feel its drag not so good, these cork drags are really good??

Yes, cork is in fact an effective drag material, if it is in good condition. It can be lightly sanded to refresh the surface.

Also, do you know when Fin-nor made his first lever drag reel, or where can I find this information? I´d like to know who made the first lever drag; Penn, Fin-nor, or still another brand?

Fin-Nor was founded around 1933, but didn't really start making reels until a few years later, and the reels similar to the ones you have, until many years after that-- around 1960 i think? But they were made for a very long time, and were still available into the 1990s.
Who made the first lever drag reel is difficult to say. One should be very careful about who made the first of anything, since it is often the result of an evolutionary chain of events. But yes, Fin-Nor was very early in this, as was Kovalovsky (and probably others), both in the late '30s and early '40s. Or rather, both of them used a lever in some way or form, even if not neccessarily in the same way we see lever drag reels now.

There is a fair amount of information available on the internet, as well as a book by Ed Pritchard about Fin-Nor history.  

Thanks again!
You are welcome. De nada.

Brian, yes.
More so at the time, since remember that HT-100 was very secretive and not many people knew of its source. It was rather expensive too. I had some, as well as a large swath of the actual fabric used to make it. So yes, I used that and Hi-temp epoxy to bond specialized drag washers for whatever need arose. Still do sometimes; I very rarely order parts, especially drag washers.
  Nowadays though, HT-100 and Carbontex are easily available through online sources, in a wide range of thicknesses and structures, both with a substrate or core and as the homogenous sheet.
  With that, life becomes so much easier. Given that, it is easily done to bond one piece to another. (Laminating the raw fabric to a desired substrate to make a sheet material was much more involved)

mo65

I like to drink a beer and just listen to these folks converse...the sharing of info makes for a well informed community. And I agree with Robert...making these masterpieces without big tooling is so entertaining! I learn every time I log on. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

54bullseye

Just killing time this afternoon looking through old posts !! Found this one from 2016. I own a few very early Fin-Nor reels from  around 1937 into the 1940s and have found that the earliest Fin-Nor's had drum style drag / brakes.

First was the 15/0 Big drum double handle reel pictured first I believe around 1936, 1937.  They were 1 to 1 ratio and the line was retrieved from the bottom of the spool "direct drive".

Next the small drum 1937 to 1939 pictured 2nd in line. The 15/0 small drum reel was Fin-Nor's first multiplying reel at 2 to 1 ratio and line retrieved to top of the spool. The small drum came with a single handle only.

Then came their first two speed reel pictured third. Also a 15/0 with double handle and drum style brake. This one you needed lessons to learn how to shift gears !!! Gear ratios were 1 to 1 and 2 to 1.

Then came the "G" model, a double handle reel and the "CT" single handle model. These were different in appearance as you couldn't see the "drum style drag" from the outside. They actually looked very similar to the 1950 to the 1990 models !! They were made into the 1940s but only the early ones had the drum style brakes. The rest of the pictures are of an early "CT" model outside and the internal drum brake.

The later "G" and "CT" models had newer style drags. They say that Arthur Kovalovski filed a copy infringement suit against Fred Grieten and Fin-Nor so I guess that was the end of Fin-Nor drum style brakes around 1940 ish.     

John Taylor

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Robert Janssen

Wow indeed; thanks for the great followup, John.
Those are some truly amazing reels and times. What is even more fantastic is your willingness to show us their insides and the great things that reside therein. Many collectors it seems, are scared of handling their reels, let alone actually use a screwdriver.

That last one shows some sort of annularly disposed ball bearings arranged to act axially somehow. Very interesting; Fred Grieten whom i suppose is responsible certainly didn't do things in the most normal way!

Thanks for posting this.