What's the rarest Penn model ever made?

Started by pjstevko, April 08, 2016, 11:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

A 5000?  I know a 1000 & 2000 are 2 speed baitcasters,
Some incredible stuff in this thread
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Penn Chronology

QuoteA special reel, indeed Mike.  Sure wish it could talk. I also like your 60 yd.'er... now that's a neat little gu

That 60 yarder is part of the Top Shelf group. There are a few more special ones out there too!

Penn Chronology

QuoteI have a 5000 in box, have only heard of one other one- there is no mention of them anywhere, in parts or elsewhere.

What's a 5000? Can you post a photo of it. I am getting old, maybe I missed something.

Benni3

Very nice display,,,, ;) what kind of reels are they,,,,,,,, ;D

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Benni3 on September 10, 2020, 02:39:08 AM
Very nice display,,,, ;) what kind of reels are they,,,,,,,, ;D

I think those are copies of some Early Ocean City Reels  ;D
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

broadway

That 716 is also a rare bird. Nice display... especially the single malt😉
Love those babies
Dom

Penn Chronology

QuoteVery nice display,,,, Wink what kind of reels are they,,,,,,,, Grin

From left to right, A 60 yard 160 specially made for Martha Henze, One of maybe six that exist. I know of one more of these in Australia, do not know where the others are. The Spinfisher 716 in the center is from the Martha Henze Estate sale. It is an experimental color. The reel on the right was made by a prison inmate and somehow became the property of Otto Henze. He used to keep it in his desk drawer, when his son Herbert Henze would visit the factory, Otto would let Herbert use the prison reel as a toy.

The bottom of the display are special sea shells, special booze and some vom Hofe big game hooks. A fun display.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: broadway on September 10, 2020, 12:40:47 PM
That 716 is also a rare bird. Nice display... especially the single malt😉
Love those babies
Dom
Saw a more normally colored 716z listed for $150 recently. Is it really rare?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Benni3

Quote from: Penn Chronology on September 12, 2020, 01:25:25 AM
QuoteVery nice display,,,, Wink what kind of reels are they,,,,,,,, Grin

From left to right, A 60 yard 160 specially made for Martha Henze, One of maybe six that exist. I know of one more of these in Australia, do not know where the others are. The Spinfisher 716 in the center is from the Martha Henze Estate sale. It is an experimental color. The reel on the right was made by a prison inmate and somehow became the property of Otto Henze. He used to keep it in his desk drawer, when his son Herbert Henze would visit the factory, Otto would let Herbert use the prison reel as a toy.

The bottom of the display are special sea shells, special booze and some vom Hofe big game hooks. A fun display.
Rare they are,,,,,, ;) but the history is priceless,,,,,,,, ;D

Dominick

Quote from: thorhammer on September 05, 2020, 12:41:45 AM
That's a peach, Mike! I will go $26 plus shipping. But I will gift to my buddy Dominick for Christmas.

Dom's Big Red is certainly rare- maybe one of a kind.

I have a 5000 in box, have only heard of one other one- there is no mention of them anywhere, in parts or elsewhere.

There is also the elusive, possibly unicorn, 440SS.

John we are on tenterhooks waiting for a picture of the 5000.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Penn Chronology

QuoteSaw a more normally colored 716z listed for $150 recently. Is it really rare?

Not rare at all. A 716Z is a production reel. They sell high because they are a desirable reel.

thorhammer

Sorry- didn't see this- respective to a Mike C. reel, they are new- from the early 90's. First production marketed for the GS series. As far as I can tell they were a short run, caught on with kingfishermen, and became the 555GS (with 545, 535, 525 and 525 Mag following in the series.) Possibly for foreign market, I couldn't find out much about them past what I wrote here. DD AR with 5.3/1 ratio, 600yds  / 20 mono, HT-100 drag and I think four bearings. Very smooth. I have a passel of all those for kingfishing and surfcasting. Corrosion resistant, fast, smooth and cast a mile.

1badf350

Thor are you talking about the one Abu Garcia surd them for? Something about it infringing on the Ambassadeur 5000
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

thorhammer

That would be a new bit of lore, Chris. Not sure, but in no way does this purport to be an Ambassadeur clone, outside the number- a Millionaire and Mitchell round reels are much closer, and the 5000GS is the the size of a 10000 Abu.

I'll post pics next time I'm home.

thorhammer

Wow, well apparently, I haven't been home in two years....I was gone a bit during covid, tho.  I'll see if I can get pics tomorrow.