Handles

Started by mo65, July 31, 2016, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

Quote from: Swami805 on August 03, 2017, 04:37:17 AM
Was looking for some info on the handle, it has an aluminum knob. It came off a 155 with no part numbers and the handle has a coin edge on the counter weight and no number as well. Just wondering how long penn made them out of aluminum. Did the handle lady turn these too?  Thanks

Wow . . . I have never seen a Penn handle with an aluminum knob, except for aftermarket ones !

I suggest that you contact Penn, send them the pics, and see what info they may have.

Very cool and, likely very rare, if it was made by Penn !

Tight Lines !

mo65

That's some find Swami! Very interesting piece! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

If that's a one-off, it is a very nice one-off.
-steve

Decker

I sold this one to a member recently.  Aluminum football shaped knob on aluminum arm; looked like Accurate.  Sorry for the bad picture.

Swami805

Here's a few more pictures best I could get with this iPhone. Fit and finish is too nice to be a home made job I would be suprised if it's not penn.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Superhook

The more pointed torp/football shaped knobs are seen on the early coin edged counterweight handles. You do see some of these early knobs on the later handles with the continuous circumference lines around the smaller counterweights. But this alloy later fat / rounded shape is on the later handles. I can't recall seeing them on the earlier coin edged handles like this one. It does not run true to the time frame .

If the knob was replaced , then the peening was not disturbed  , just pushed onto the shaft from the front. IMHO. Neat piece and the knob will never crack.

Crow

I've a question on the handles / knobs, that I haven't been able to find an answer for, by cruzin' the topics.....is it possible to *safely* remove the oiler from the knob , without damaging the knob ? I'm thinking a metal screw might "grag" the edges of the hole, and work as a puller?  I have a couple handles with the *riveted*, or "peened" end that is loose. I assume that , with the oiler out, a pin punch could be used to "buck" the end of the shaft, so the other end can be re riveted. ???. And, as a follow up question...is there a source for the "oilers" ? I don't see them as a "buyable" part at Scott's.  Thanks !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

Quote from: Crow on August 10, 2017, 09:06:25 PM
Is it possible to *safely* remove the oiler from the knob , without damaging the knob ?

This question has been asked a few times. For the most part, since there are no sources for these knob components, its gonna be cheaper and easier to just buy another handle. Unless your handle is a very rare model, eBay or Scott's should have what you need. 8)

mo65

Here's a handle discussion that started over on the "Penn Reels-Just As You Find Them" thread...figured it would be better to delve into it here. The early #24-109 handle appears to have been offered in both double paddle and counterbalanced versions.

P8101748 by Mike Shaver, on Flickr

As you can see by this second photo the only difference is one side got either a counterbalance or a knob.

P8101749 by Mike Shaver, on Flickr

JRD mentioned his counterbalanced #24-109 was hard to read...almost looked like #24-100. Well, mine is the same way, but if you use the zoom feature(click on photo or number at bottom left of photo) you'll see a faint impression of a "9" on the top handle.

P8101752 by Mike Shaver, on Flickr

I believe these counterbalanced versions of this handle must have only been used on very early 109 reels...if even at all. It seems to have been used mostly on the 180 reel. I've never ran across a 109 with this counterbalanced handle, but I sure have converted some to it. It's my preferred version of the two. 8)

Maxed Out

Cool knobs Mo, I like the cb style too

The 1st 109's had smooth tapered knobs that resembled a miniaturized fish bonker or baseball bat. Around 1950 the knob changed to the washboard tapered knob that had oil port on the end. Sometime in 1960's they stopped putting in the oil ports on those knobs. I prefer the ones with oil port, but the ones without work just fine.

Here is the earliest style 109 knob installed on a late 50's 109

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Decker

I found this knob on a Baymaster 80.   Has the oil port and counterbalance.  Not sure of the number stamped on the back.  Apologies for the lack of focus.

I've never seen those smooth knob that Ted is showing.  It is a treat to see rare stuff.

Maxed Out

Quote from: mo65 on August 11, 2016, 03:37:38 PM
I picked up this unused handle on the cheap, and to the best of my ability, I believe it's a #24-12LT. As can be seen by the photo...no part number...so maybe someone can verify it. Whatever it is, it should make a great power handle for a Mag 10/Surfmaster 100/Squidder 146 sized reel.  8)

Mo, I'm curious if you ever concluded which reel your handle fits. The handle looks to me like it fits a 113H, and the part number would be 45GLS. I bought one with no part number and it looks to be ezachary same as yours  ;D ;D

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 18, 2017, 10:02:19 PM
Quote from: mo65 on August 11, 2016, 03:37:38 PM
I picked up this unused handle on the cheap, and to the best of my ability, I believe it's a #24-12LT. As can be seen by the photo...no part number...so maybe someone can verify it. Whatever it is, it should make a great power handle for a Mag 10/Surfmaster 100/Squidder 146 sized reel.  8)

Mo, I'm curious if you ever concluded which reel your handle fits. The handle looks to me like it fits a 113H, and the part number would be 45GLS. I bought one with no part number and it looks to be ezachary same as yours  ;D ;D

Ted

There's a handle Penn made for the 113H that looks just like these, only a larger mounting hole. My handle won't fit a 113H, it has the smaller mounting hole. I bought a #24-12LT from Scott's just to compare...and sure enough...my un-numbered handle is identical to the #24-12LT short of the numbers. It looks real sweet on this narrowed 250 Surfy! 8)

sdlehr

Picked up this Delmar 285 on the cheap just for this handle I've not seen before. It's numbered, and it looks round in cross-section in the photo, but it's football shaped. I'll replace the photo later if I get a chance. Numbered, no oil port, just apparently pressed onto the shaft.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

QuotePicked up this Delmar 285 on the cheap just for this handle I've not seen before. It's numbered, and it looks round in cross-section in the photo, but it's football shaped. I'll replace the photo later if I get a chance. Numbered, no oil port, just apparently pressed onto the shaft.

""End of Day"" handle made in the 1950's. Yours  is only the second one I have seen. The other is one I have on a 1950's Penn Squidder 140.