Handles

Started by mo65, July 31, 2016, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

I think it is interesting the way the counterweight and handgrip are attached on opposite sides of the blade in different reels.
That is to say some are on the down curve of the "S" shape blade and some on the up curve.
Did anyone understand that???
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

swill88

Quote from: basto on August 04, 2016, 11:21:52 PM
I think it is interesting the way the counterweight and handgrip are attached on opposite sides of the blade in different reels.
That is to say some are on the down curve of the "S" shape blade and some on the up curve.
Did anyone understand that???
Basto

does it matter which way the blade is curved?

basto

No, not at all. Just making an observation. I think the curved blade is a very beautiful design. Much more stylish than a straight one IMO.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Penn Chronology

Quote from: basto on August 04, 2016, 11:21:52 PMI think it is interesting the way the counterweight and handgrip are attached on opposite sides of the blade in different reels.
Did anyone understand that???]

I had talked about this with other collectors. I suspect that the mounting of the counterweights and handle knobs to the blades was random. That is why there is no rhyme or reason to how the curve is in relation to the reel. It is just how they were built by the individual worker. I do not feel it makes a difference to performance.

mo65

I picked up this unused handle on the cheap, and to the best of my ability, I believe it's a #24-12LT. As can be seen by the photo...no part number...so maybe someone can verify it. Whatever it is, it should make a great power handle for a Mag 10/Surfmaster 100/Squidder 146 sized reel.  8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mo65

I keep seeing the 1938 pear shaped handle knob referred to as "resin"...but I don't see the '39 and later torpedo knob called this. Are they different materials?  ???

Penn Chronology

I keep seeing the 1938 pear shaped handle knob referred to as "resin"...but I don't see the '39 and later torpedo knob called this. Are they different materials?  Huh?

Posted on: August 11, 2016, 07:37:38 AM
Posted by: mo65 

I am not 100% on this; but, I believe the knobs everyone refers to as "Resin" are probably Cast Phenolic and the Torpedo knobs are Molded Catalan. Phenolics, Catalin and Bakelite are all the same family of plastics; but, have different properties based on their manufacturing process and chemical make up. Fillers are also used in the Casting process to add strength. I believe the pear shaped early handle were cast phenolics and basically a stronger plastic than the Torpedo handle base material. If we have a Chemical engineer in the group, I am sure he can help me out here.

mo65

Could someone explain the concept of the three mounting positions on the Penn power handles? I've seen a few descriptions in other places but there was conflict among the answers.

RowdyW

Outer hole more leverage, inner hole more speed, middle hole a little of both worlds.

mo65

Quote from: TARFU on August 02, 2016, 01:36:20 AM
Any opinions?  Bill

An interesting handle for sure Bill. I've been searching for one...and so far the handle in this link is as close as I've come. I've seen several of these, maybe yours is someones rendition of this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172333954022?_trksid=p2045573.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI172333954022.N36.S2.R1.TR7

Bill B

MO, Im thinking aftermarket.  The knob is little more that a piece of broom stick, but research has shown the reel and pole were sold as a package deal with a rail plate mounted on the pole so Im thinking the shop that put the package together may have replaced the handle also.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

sdlehr

Quote from: mo65 on September 13, 2016, 08:49:19 PM
Could someone explain the concept of the three mounting positions on the Penn power handles? I've seen a few descriptions in other places but there was conflict among the answers.
Rudy's answer was correct. The physics of the situation is about the length of the lever arm and the torque differential between the different lever arm lengths. More power (torque) with the longer handle, more speed with the shorter handle.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mo65

Quote from: RowdyW on September 13, 2016, 09:11:31 PM
Outer hole more leverage, inner hole more speed, middle hole a little of both worlds.
Quote from: sdlehr on September 16, 2016, 06:58:50 PM
Rudy's answer was correct. The physics of the situation is about the length of the lever arm and the torque differential between the different lever arm lengths. More power (torque) with the longer handle, more speed with the shorter handle.

Thanks fellas...I figured as much...but I feel more comfortable hearing it from you guys. Your help and advise is much appreciated.  8)

RowdyW

Quote from: Penn Chronology on August 04, 2016, 11:30:12 PM
Quote from: basto on August 04, 2016, 11:21:52 PMI think it is interesting the way the counterweight and handgrip are attached on opposite sides of the blade in different reels.

I had talked about this with other collectors. I suspect that the mounting of the counterweights and handle knobs to the blades was random. That is why there is no rhyme or reason to how the curve is in relation to the reel. It is just how they were built by the individual worker. I do not feel it makes a difference to performance.
Is there a possibility that the way handles are switched around over the years that the handles with the up curve were originally for left hand reels? I've been looking at photos from SB&T & the lefty reels have the handles curve down. If switched to a right hand reel the curve would face up. Food for thought. Best reason I can think of. Maybe that's why there are fewer original handles with the curve up when mounted on a right hand reel, they have been switched.            Rudy

Penn Chronology

QuoteQuote from: Penn Chronology on August 04, 2016, 03:30:12 PM

Quote from: basto on August 04, 2016, 03:21:52 PM

Is there a possibility that the way handles are switched around over the years that the handles with the up curve were originally for left hand reels? I've been looking at photos from SB&T & the lefty reels have the handles curve down. If switched to a right hand reel the curve would face up. Food for thought. Best reason I can think of. Maybe that's why there are fewer original handles with the curve up when mounted on a right hand reel, they have been switched.            Rudy

I believe that if Penn would have used the curve of he handle as a criteria for left or right hand mounting it would reflect in the part numbers. I do not believe there is any difference in the build style of right or left hand drive handle. The curve being up or down is simply how the handles wound up because of the fact that the handles are assembled by humans. Humans install randomness into everything they do. I just looked at four Senator 9/0 handle blades from the 1930's and 40's. Three of them have the knob side curve going up and one is curved down. There is no rhyme to this reason. IMHO