Handles

Started by mo65, July 31, 2016, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Here's an elusive handle for sure...this is one of Ted's beauties. I always figured someone had to make an "end of the day" blue torpedo. Also...the knob is residing on that #24-60 handle that has been eluding definition. I was relieved to see Mike tracked it down as an early 50's handle...only used a few years and replaced by the #24-155. Thanks for sharing the pic and info guys! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

I'll keep my eyes peeled for you Mo, I'm sure there are more out there.

Here is another shot of the blue swirl knob next to a green swirl.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

Thats a special one there Ted.  Special number, special color, in a special collection.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mo65

It's hard for me to concentrate after Ted's handle. What was I?...oh yeah...man, that blue swirl is smokin'! I've not had nearly as many reels pass through my hands as the gurus here, but this is the first "translucent" handle knob I've seen. Is it something common?

Bill B

Mo....that's a first for me....LIKE IT ;D   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Maxed Out

I have seen very few translucent Penn knobs, but they do exist. It's like finding a 3 legged buffalo head nickel. Nice score Mo. That's a keeper for sure !!

Ted

The Great Maudu

According to Penn historian and expert Mike C this Silver Beach handle came from the shop of Frankenstein's castle after a wild TGIF party

Maxed Out

Quote from: The Great Maudu on October 08, 2016, 06:06:28 PM
According to Penn historian and expert Mike C this Silver Beach handle came from the shop of Frankenstein's castle after a wild TGIF party

Ha Ha, I would have to agree with all the above......I'd say all the forensic evidence points towards long armed employees at that party  :D :D

mo65

Holy Cannoli...each end is in a different zip code...Zoinks!

Bill B

Aftermarket handles from a 114 and 114H, next to a standard 114H handle.  The top is a 6" aluminum blade with an aluminum handle, the second is 6" chromed steel blade and wooden handle.  From what I can gather the aftermarket handles were standard fare for the old California rockcod days,when dropping 3lbs of lead and 5+ ganion setups, to 400'....just pure cranking power....  Bill

mizmo67

Quote from: mo65 on July 31, 2016, 08:31:07 PM
My quandary, probably a simple one, is I have a handle the same size as a #24-155 but stamped #24-60. It has the older football shaped knob as opposed to the newer torpedo knob. Did this handle pre-date the 155 reel? Seems not to be likely...as it is numbered. I'd sleep better knowing the answer to this question, and many other handle questions too!  8)

Parts that were made and discontinued before we ever got into the parts business have not all found their way into the online system.

The oldest conventional parts cross reference in my office binder that I have is 1950, and that listed a 24-66 for the 60 reel, not 24-60, so it would have to be older than 1950.

When I look back at a 1948 catalog..the parts page doesn't even have part numbers listed on it.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

mo65

Quote from: mizmo67 on October 13, 2016, 06:53:41 PM
The oldest conventional parts cross reference in my office binder that I have is 1950, and that listed a 24-66 for the 60 reel, not 24-60, so it would have to be older than 1950.

That's what I've been thinking Mo...I have a hunch the larger #24-66 came along at the same time as the plate change...which was around '50 if I remember correctly. Thanks for taking time to investigate.  8)

mizmo67

~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Deepennz

Hi there - I am after information on the counterweight on the handles. I recently acquired two 160's , one with an amber handle, and the other with an attractive amber/dark green swirl.
Both reels have no part numbers. The amber handled reel has a solid counterweight without the two rings. It is also smaller than the usual counterweight. The other, dark handled reel has
two rings on the counterweight, but it too is smaller than the ordinary Penn c/weight.
I can find no info in either of Mike C's two books but the same c/weight is shown on page 93 of Mike C's Chronological History book. Any discussion/information on the different c/weights and their history/year they ceased production etc would be reely appreciated.

Cheers
Martin

Bill B

Martin, if you could post a picture that would be a great help.....thx Bill