Handles

Started by mo65, July 31, 2016, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Outstanding! 

Quote from: Maxed Out on January 25, 2020, 12:10:59 AM

Not sure if they offer different sizes, but this one is for 113H. I think the knob would be a bit small for a 113H, but just the right size for a magnum Jigmaster
><)))">

milne

Oh, that is damn Beautiful, Wow....
Thanks for sharing Ted...

Col

mo65

I saw this knob on the facebooks...it was on a Silverbeach 99...nice color mix. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

coralsea

Penn 113 Black with new black power handle ;D

no pain-no gain

mo65

Here is a handle subject that seems to mystify folks...not sure why...I guess we just need to know all the details. This was posted on the facebooks by Michael Cacioppo, but I thought it should be included on this handle info thread. Hope ya don't mind Mike. 8)

"Many of us find these. They are not rare. These markings label the alloy content of the handle blade; They are early handles that eventually became standardized and no longer had markings. The handle blades with the stamped "S" are German Silver alloy handles. The "B" stands for cartridge brass, which is a soft brass used to make bullet casings. Eventually, all handles were made of Hard Brass and no longer had markings."

Crow

Interesting ! Thanks for sharing that !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

thorhammer

Quote from: Maxed Out on January 25, 2020, 12:10:59 AM

Not sure if they offer different sizes, but this one is for 113H. I think the knob would be a bit small for a 113H, but just the right size for a magnum Jigmaster

yeah i need a half dozen of these...

Penn Chronology

QuoteHere is a handle subject that seems to mystify folks...not sure why...I guess we just need to know all the details. This was posted on the facebooks by Michael Cacioppo, but I thought it should be included on this handle info thread. Hope ya don't mind Mike. Cool

"Many of us find these. They are not rare. These markings label the alloy content of the handle blade; They are early handles that eventually became standardized and no longer had markings. The handle blades with the stamped "S" are German Silver alloy handles. The "B" stands for cartridge brass, which is a soft brass used to make bullet casings. Eventually, all handles were made of Hard Brass and no longer had markings."

Don't mind at all. Hard for me to post everywhere. I just do not have the time, so i am glad when good information gets spread around.

Gfish

All markings are interesting in a historical(dating) and meaning way. The B handle has a big fat peened rivet--- softer blade metal?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

I saved a pic of this gizmo a while back...forgot to post it...and now have no clue where I saw it. I remember it was intended to make the handle act as the drag star. Anybody have more info? :-\

Maxed Out

Hey Mo, it kinda does look like lever drag, but no real way to loosen it once it tightens. These were only sold in Japan under the Penn name. My guess is they were made in Japan by Daiwa. Shark Hunter has a 9/0 with this kit.

Here is a Japan/Penn catalog showing these kits as accessories

-T
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

Here is another aftermarket Penn polished stainless handle/star combo. This one was made in Italy or France (memory is failing me). This kit is more likely to be found on a Penn reel in Australia. It fits the 113H gear sleeve reels. Notice it says Penn in center of knob and counter balance

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oldmanjoe

Quote from: mo65 on January 05, 2022, 11:56:18 AM
   I saved a pic of this gizmo a while back...forgot to post it...and now have no clue where I saw it. I remember it was intended to make the handle act as the drag star. Anybody have more info? :-\
To me that is a copy of the Ocean city starless design .
    Then there is this      https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=33916.msg399580#msg399580
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

milne

Quote from: Maxed Out on January 06, 2022, 03:52:35 AM
Here is another aftermarket Penn polished stainless handle/star combo. This one was made in Italy or France (memory is failing me). This kit is more likely to be found on a Penn reel in Australia. It fits the 113H gear sleeve reels. Notice it says Penn in center of knob and counter balance

Ted, Hi...  happy new year to yourself and family...

I am gob smacked how good this reel looks, It's a stunner..

Col

Cuttyhunker

Like Martin Deepennz I have a 37 12/0 with a no oiler hole handle, John Taylor on viewing it thought "aftermarket", like Mike C's opinion on Martin's handle photo a few pages back. The photos were not taken to display the handle, just what I happen to have on file here in Fla for the winter, the reel is chillin in snowy Mass.
Doomed from childhood