REEL DEAL TRANSMISSION + PENN 350M LEVELINE TUTORIAL

Started by Dominick, August 03, 2016, 03:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

I went back over my PMs to see who I purchased the Reel Deal Transmission from.  I could not find the PM so I apologize for not giving credit to that person.  The yellow handle was to me by coastal Dan.  I am publically thanking him here.  The Leveline was new old stock I purchased from a seller on Ebay.

If you have not seen one here is the leveline.  It looks like an interesting way to keep the line level on the spool.  I will let you know how it works when I get to use it.

This is the box the transmission came in.  It is supposed to make retrieving the line from the deep quickly. 

Here are the parts to the transmission laid out on the work bench.

The printed instructions.

The first instruction was to grease the hole in the sleeve.

Then screw in the geared screw head.

Next loosely place the transmission yoke place snugging the screws but leaving them loose enough to adjust the yoke.

Then put the star back on.

Then bolt on the transmission, put on the handle and you are done.  Well I ran into trouble at this point as the handle would not turn.  I thought I had misaligned something so I took out my old ignition wrenches to loosen the screws so that I could adjust the alignment.  After getting the whole setup loose I still could not turn the handle.  I took the whole transmission off and found out the problem was in the transmission itself.  Mind you it was a new transmission but it would barely turn.  I opened up the tranny and this is what I found.  The grease was as dry and hard as plaster of paris.  I had to chip it off and clean it with carb cleaner.  The bonus is that we all get to see the inside of the transmission.

Yuck!

Yuck Xs 2,

Don't be fooled by the shine.  That stuff was hard as stone.

After cleaning and putting the transmission back together it spun like a reel should.  Here it is with the new handle.  Thanks again Dan.

I trust that this tutorial will help someone in the future.  The benefit of this tutorial is that I had to clean and lube the inside of the transmission and you are able to visualize it.  I suggest that if you come across one that you do a pre-use cleaning and lubrication.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Very good job Dominick...nice reel.
If you would have used this stuff :
https://www.amazon.com/PASLODE-219384-12OZ-CRDLS-Cleaner/dp/B004BGBB5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470196547&sr=8-1&keywords=paslode+cleaner
the dried up grease would have came right off, with very little effort and smell.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Good work Dominick. Hey, you gonna eat all those Good and Plenty's?
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 03, 2016, 04:04:56 AM
Good work Dominick. Hey, you gonna eat all those Good and Plenty's?
Yeah! My birthday was last week so I decided to quit smoking again.  The Good & Plenty help me through the yen for a cigarette.  I would only smoke a couple weeks a year like when I am down in Mexico and knock them off when I get home.  I smoked the week in June and did not stop when I got back.  So I smoked all of June and most of July.  The last time I quit was 11/11/11 at 11:00 a.m.  This time I chose my birthday.  When I reach 90 I am going to start again and not quit until the grim reaper takes them from my dead hands.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Dominick,
All Kidding aside. I smoked cigarettes for 35 years. It was the first thing I did when I got out of bed since I was 14. I am 51 now. Haven't had a puff for over two years. Its the best thing I have ever did. Never tried to quit until 2014. I will never go back.
I'm a little fatter, but I will never smoke again.
A Neighbor of mine that I wasn't really close with, tried to get me to go to work with him at Mubea.
It is a German owned company that makes many products, mostly in the auto industry that has a few factories here in Kentucky.
This was in 2008 when the recession had hit and I was getting laid off every two weeks. I had my house paid for and I was managing.
I couldn't make myself leave my current job, It has been good to me since 1988.
He was in his early fifties. He contracted Brain Cancer in 2013 and didn't live very long after that. I remember seeing the Ambulance take him away for the last time. It was raining and I was out on the porch smoking a cigarette. It was 3am. I work second shift and That was my schedule and still is. I will never forget how he looked when they were putting him in that ambulance. He looked at me and I will never forget that stare.
He looked as if he aged another 30 years.
He was a Heavy Smoker. He was no relation, or even close to me, but that made my decision.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

I gotta quit one of these years here.  I am past my self-imposed quit age by 2 years.  I've done it before 1.5years, 6 months, 45 days, and 30 days (not in that order)... so I know I can do it again.  Guess I am waiting for that something to click in my head.  I may try the patch, and Chantix to take the edge off a bit.  Vaping, and cutting back don'the work for me. 

I have been a pack-a-day for over 25 years.  That's starting to 'push it' a bit.  I've noticed increases health issues after hitting 40.  Hope things don't continue to progress this way. 

Quitting smoking, diet, and exercise should do the trick if I can change the lifestyle a bit.

Quitting drinking is probably the best thing I have ever done.  But even that took me 3 trys (4.5 years now, 3 years before that, 1.5years the first time). 

Once you realize your life is much better after the change, and as time passes it gets much easier.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

oc1

Quitting is easy.  I do it a couple of times each week.
-steve

Tightlines667

Dominick,

You went from 3:1 to 9:1 on that levelwind then?  What is the new line retrieve rate? 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

That's one deal of a reel Dominick.  Beautiful set-up.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 03, 2016, 07:31:44 AM
Dominick,

You went from 3:1 to 9:1 on that levelwind then?  What is the new line retrieve rate? 
Are you kidding?  I could not figure out a mathematical answer if my life depended on it.  I don't do numbers.   :-\ Dominick

Bill B

Can this thread get a "sticky" so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle......thank you.....Bill

BTW....cool reel and WAY COOL Reel Deal Transmission...
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Great job, Dominick --

You know what you are doing -- and you get right after it...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Smols

I know this thread is quite old, but I can't see the pictures that Dominick posted because of the photobucket debacle and I am hoping someone might have a schematic for the reel-deal transmission. Dominick, from what I can glean from your post, it looks like you may have instructions, but not a schematic. However, if you or anyone else has a schematic for the reel-deal, I would be grateful.

Smols

Smols

Disregard my request for the reel deal schematic - I found what I need on another thread and downloaded the Reel Deal.pdf

Thanks all,
Smols