REEL DEAL TRANSMISSION + PENN 350M LEVELINE TUTORIAL

Started by Dominick, August 03, 2016, 03:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Quote from: Smols on December 14, 2017, 09:24:44 PM
Disregard my request for the reel deal schematic - I found what I need on another thread and downloaded the Reel Deal.pdf

Thanks all,
Smols

Hey smols don't let the whole photo problem get to you.  Download the Google extension that will allow you to see the photos.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

sdlehr

Quote from: Dominick on December 14, 2017, 09:37:53 PM
Hey smols don't let the whole photo problem get to you.  Download the Google extension that will allow you to see the photos.  Dominick
Yeah, not sure what's happening, I have that installed and can only view some of the photos, but not all....?? ?? ?? This is the first I can recall that I've had trouble with this extension.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Smols

Dominick,

I am not familiar with the google extensions that would allow me to view the photos. I'll have to ask my 13yo daughter for help :-\

By the way, I see you live in San Mateo - have you ever eaten at a restaurant called 31st Union?

My good friend David is the owner - tell him Paul from Mission Viejo sent you if you ever go. (Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the restaurant - it is just a good place to drink and eat)

Anyway, I am looking forward to opening up my Reel Deal transmission and getting it working properly on a little 155 that I have.

Thanks for your post on your experience with yours.

Smols

Dominick

Since there was a post about the reel deal transmission i revisited this thread.  I see that I missed this last post by Smols.  Smols I did not know of that restaurant but it is in a location that was a bakery.  I will make it there one of these days.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

I viewed the pictures and had to see if my eyes were deceiving me Dominick!? I said :o Yo what what??? Dominick actually did that?

Good job Dominick..........................Joe ;D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

David Hall

Quote from: oc1 on August 03, 2016, 07:16:08 AM
Quitting is easy.  I do it a couple of times each week.
-steve

I do it every night!

Dominick

Quote from: Reel 224 on November 19, 2018, 09:51:55 PM
I viewed the pictures and had to see if my eyes were deceiving me Dominick!? I said :o Yo what what??? Dominick actually did that?

Good job Dominick..........................Joe ;D

Thanks Joe.   Dominick

skneip49

The seller of the transmission, that was me. I recall we both thought it was pretty cool, new in the box, even the plastic bag the parts came in was stapled. And, of course, neither Dominick, nor I had any idea it was totally stuck with the hardened grease. Sure glad we have new lubricants to work with.

Glad to see it got installed.

Dominick

Thanks for checking in and reminding me.  Dominick

Mic

Quote from: Dominick on June 21, 2019, 06:12:14 PM
Thanks for checking in and reminding me.  Dominick

Okay
So, I was going through my divorce (Thank you Father in Heaven !) when this was last brought up for discussion. But I gotta ask, was the transmission a flop or a success ? I had this same thing bouncing around between my ears the other day about how I can make a PENN 309 a two speed.

Noticed that the box seemed to be two days older than penicillin, but maybe this product is still available ?

Also noticed the swirled cross bar on the upper front of the 350M. WTH was that ?

Just so you know, I'm doing my part to "Check in and remind you"

Thanks for good work Dominick !

Mic

oc1

That swirl thing rotates to lay the line level.  It is much more robust and foolproof than normal old Penn levelwind with the worm and pawl.  350 is great for light trolling but does not cast very well.  The spiral thing has to be located high on the frame so there is enough line tension to make it work.  But, line rubs on the spiral when casting and reduces distance.

Mic

Quote from: oc1 on February 17, 2021, 10:22:54 AM
That swirl thing rotates to lay the line level.  It is much more robust and foolproof than normal old Penn levelwind with the worm and pawl.  350 is great for light trolling but does not cast very well.  The spiral thing has to be located high on the frame so there is enough line tension to make it work.  But, line rubs on the spiral when casting and reduces distance.

Fascinating concept !

Thank you Sir ~!

Cuttyhunker

Steve,
Thanks for your durability comments on the 350.  I've been considering going to 309's for striper trolling next season as my fishing buddy is on heavy blood thinners and don't want him to get a cut up thumb level winding. Last week I picked up a second 350 in a lot deal and was wondering which would be more reliable to use. Since the guts of both are pretty much identical I'm going with the wiggly bar.  The 309's will probably be an easier sell too, as the uniqueness of the 350 is certainly a little strange to look at when rigged up.   
Doomed from childhood