need help on a reel for bluefin tuna 200-500lb

Started by mak1, August 05, 2016, 01:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mak1

hi we may get the chance to have a go for them here in the uk what reels would you go for and why. how would you spool it and what with as we have never had a go for them before. we will be on a charter boat so hopefully be able to follow it but if we could not would that change what reel and line you would look at
so
1. what reel if we can chase it down and how would you fill it

2. what reel if we can NOT  chase it down and how would you fill it

any other tips for us across the pond on tuna are welcome

we have a penn international V 50-100 rod would this be ok or would you recommend anything else

what we have so far for porbeagle sharks  will any of the below be useful
we have shimano tallus   tlc-60hsb-br    with a makaira 15sea with 600m of 80lb braid
conoflex IGFA 30lb and makaira 20 with 40lb momoi diamond on

Normslanding

Your Makaira 20 with 130lb will be good for 200lb fish, chasing 300lb fish is possible to land MAYBE even a bigger one with some luck.
Your other reels really are not up to it. Also you should check the capacity of the 80 lb on a Makaira 15, they just don't hold 600m of 80lb.
As for a reel for the bigger grade fish you will need at least a 30 size modern reel Like a Makaira 30, Avet, newer Penn. But a 50 size would really give you some comfort level.
To put a little perspective on it Manny on the El Matador In Puerto Vallarta Mexico landed a 850 lb Marlin on a 50 Makaira with 130 lb. in about 1.5 hrs this was a couple of days ago. Also I luckily landed a 500lb+ Black Marlin in a Makaira 10 with 50lb test. That is a "lifetime fish", would I want to do it again hell on! Heat stroke, and body shock will never be in my fishing again. The point is you need a 30 or 50 for the bigger fish of a lifetime.
I hope this helps, good luck, have fun.

mak1

thanks for that I have just checked the braid on the makaira it is 2 spools of 80lb 275m of spider wire code red the braid we get is linier strength and not knot strength over here it is 0.408mm when I checked it

MarkT

The Makaira 20 is a 30 size reel compared to other 30-size reels.  The Mak 30 is a 30W.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!